Do we have a 5* Curse?

AUght2win

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

McLoof saying we'd do things the same as Bama if we just had the "network and know-how", Kees saying everybody loves their school so we've got no need for a holier than thou attitude. I disagree on both accounts.

Especially the first sentiment. As if Alabama has some shadowy, underground network of brilliant puppeteers that allows them to run their program dirty and not get caught? LMAO, Alabama runs its pay-for-play program about as clumsily and out-in-the-open as you possibly could. Look at Tom Albetar. Look at Albert Means. But currently, they are too big to fail and the NCAA is on THE SHAKIEST of ground, meaning they won't go after any money-making blueblood.

I always say, if the speed limit is 50, the SEC is all doing 65. But Bama (and now UGA) are doing 120, drunk, with sixty kilos of coke and three dead hookers in the trunk. Auburn could absolutely run its program the same as Alabama right now, but it chooses not to.  We aren't lacking a bunch of ingenius alumnus or money. 

lol. I mean that is really what you got out of everyones posts??? OK. Not one person here was trying to dispute Auburn not being a special place. In fact I think a lot of Auburn fans sell AU short on how great we are when it comes to our place in football history when they do the whole little awwww shucks I love being the underdog and having no expectations song and dance. We are as close to being a blue blood as you can be without being one yet our fans act like we are freaking kentucky in football. It drives me crazy each and every season. Auburn fanbase has no killer instinct. Way to nice. No swagger for the most part. Does not demand enough excellence and is way to content when we have mediocre seasons.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol. I mean that is really what you got out of everyones posts??? OK. Not one person here was trying to dispute Auburn not being a special place. In fact I think a lot of Auburn fans sell AU short on how great we are when it comes to our place in football history when they do the whole little awwww shucks I love being the underdog and having no expectations song and dance. We are as close to being a blue blood as you can be without being one yet our fans act like we are freaking kentucky in football. It drives me crazy each and every season. Auburn fanbase has no killer instinct. Way to nice. No swagger for the most part. Does not demand enough excellence and is way to content when we have mediocre seasons.

Nailed it G'Mac!

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Nailed it G'Mac!

Our fans are how cubs fans used to be before theo epstein arrived. ALWAYS MAYBE NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!! lol

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I have agreed with you several times on how we are a blueblood and should demand as much success as anyone. I still believe that. 

I was addressing the fact that in EVERY single thread on this forum, someone always turns that sentiment into: Let's go get a Saban, let's just cheat, let's get a guy like Briles, let's stop being so uppity about our morals and creed. Because, as they believe, Auburn is no different than any other soulless major power. So why hold ourselves to a higher standard?

The ideas of Auburn being a special place with a special value system is an independent argument from the expectations Auburn fans should have. I believe Auburn fans should expect us to compete for titles in every sport, while ALSO keeping the school's creed intact. 

This is all I am trying to say. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Is anybody else confused? 

gi.gif

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

(The crown jewel of the university’s public face was football, and to reboot the school’s image and fatten enrollment, football had to be a visible, successful asset.

I’m not sure choosing a school because of a good football team is the best way of picking your place for higher education! 😂 

52 minutes ago, toddc said:

(The crown jewel of the university’s public face was football, and to reboot the school’s image and fatten enrollment, football had to be a visible, successful asset.

I’m not sure choosing a school because of a good football team is the best way of picking your place for higher education! 😂 

I have always thought so too but so many do it! They say the applications went up like ten fold at FAU when Kiffin got there.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I have always thought so too but so many do it! They say the applications went up like ten fold at FAU when Kiffin got there.

That says a lot about kids these days and how they follow what’s popular, even when it effects their life decisions!

21 hours ago, keesler said:

Disagree with me all you want man.  I have a hard time pimping the holier than thou  attitude when Auburn continues to JABA at every freaking turn. 

Example

#1 Sunny Galloway's wrongful termination resulting in a settlement with AU pouring out +/-$1M and Jay Jacobs saying "you won't get a dime from Auburn Buddy"....  I laugh till this day when I think of JJ manning up to Sunny in that exchange of words.

#2 An AU softball player sends a 14 pg complaint with allegations of abuse and sexual harassment to the Governor of Alabama & accuses AU of an administrative cover-up resulting in a Title XI lawsuit, claims Clint Myers knowingly let his son Corey have relations and pursue relations with multiple members of the team.  Resulting in the termination of the culprit with Jacobs giving glowing rendition claiming the coach left on his own accord because "Coaching is hard and time consuming Myers just wants to spend more quality time with his family"  BULLSH! 

#3 The voluntary "retirement" of one of the best softball HC's Auburn has ever had, because of his own sons actions towards AU student-athletes that were under his protection and guidance.

#4 A formerly loved AU alum/player turned Asst HC of Basketball getting federal indicted on half a dozen charges for his shady dealings with another former AU alum/player when they worked a deal with an agent, resulting in scathing headlines for Auburn and two more coaches termination of employment because of their involvement. And Two AU student-athletes get benched for a full season due to them or their AU alum parent receiving improper benefits all orchestrated by an AU coach (former AU player)

#5  AU Administration with the approval of AU BOT and President give Head Football Coach a guaranteed $49M/7 yr contract in 2017. Because a sports agent stirred the pot and scared the crap out of AU with Arkansas making offers to our HC and trying to steal him away from Auburn.  ARKANSAS lol - and no one has ever pursued CGM for another HC job since he's been here - yet they let Arkansas' overtures scare them out of $49M guaranteed contract?

#7 Fast forward 11 months and some of the same AU Admin/BOT along with influential AU $$ Donors are having second thought, 'cause the $49M Man ain't putting a respectable product on the field.  Someone decides to leak information about certain "AU people" initiating contact with retired Bod Stoops to see if he has interest in the HC job. Ol Bob vehemently and publicly denies it and says it's ridiculous and it all fades like a fart in the wind.  So possibly some of the same folks leak more detailed information to outside sources (Josh Moon/Jay Tate/Phillip Marshall) about the inner workings, behind the scenes "negotiations" between a powerful AU supporter and our HC while the President flies off to DC.  Tweeters go WILD on this stuff.  While the actual coaches are trying to keep their heads above water fielding questions and concerns from prospective recruits they've built relationships with over months on end.  All for the HC to deny anyone at AU tried to reduce or alter his contract.  And the Athletic Director claims "CGM is the Coach of the Future"!  CGM promises All is Well, he will "turn this thing around" and the future is bright.

ALL of this in just shy of a 24 MONTH period.

Forgive this Auburn Alum if I refuse to tote the banner of Auburn as being morally superior to any other University.

Nailed it. All of this makes us as a fanbase look pathetic and cringeworthy when we spout off this holier than thou BS while we've got repulsive skeletons in our closet.

How lucky are we that the softball thing did not become national news? A COACH'S SON WAS HAVING SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH PLAYERS WHAT THE EFF???

17 hours ago, toddc said:

That says a lot about kids these days and how they follow what’s popular, even when it effects their life decisions!

Says a lot about the parents that have to sign that LOI too.  It's not like these kids are accepting a scholly without the overview and approval of their adult parents.

22 hours ago, keesler said:

Disagree with me all you want man.  I have a hard time pimping the holier than thou  attitude when Auburn continues to JABA at every freaking turn. 

Example

#1 Sunny Galloway's wrongful termination resulting in a settlement with AU pouring out +/-$1M and Jay Jacobs saying "you won't get a dime from Auburn Buddy"....  I laugh till this day when I think of JJ manning up to Sunny in that exchange of words.

#2 An AU softball player sends a 14 pg complaint with allegations of abuse and sexual harassment to the Governor of Alabama & accuses AU of an administrative cover-up resulting in a Title XI lawsuit, claims Clint Myers knowingly let his son Corey have relations and pursue relations with multiple members of the team.  Resulting in the termination of the culprit with Jacobs giving glowing rendition claiming the coach left on his own accord because "Coaching is hard and time consuming Myers just wants to spend more quality time with his family"  BULLSH! 

#3 The voluntary "retirement" of one of the best softball HC's Auburn has ever had, because of his own sons actions towards AU student-athletes that were under his protection and guidance.

#4 A formerly loved AU alum/player turned Asst HC of Basketball getting federal indicted on half a dozen charges for his shady dealings with another former AU alum/player when they worked a deal with an agent, resulting in scathing headlines for Auburn and two more coaches termination of employment because of their involvement. And Two AU student-athletes get benched for a full season due to them or their AU alum parent receiving improper benefits all orchestrated by an AU coach (former AU player)

#5  AU Administration with the approval of AU BOT and President give Head Football Coach a guaranteed $49M/7 yr contract in 2017. Because a sports agent stirred the pot and scared the crap out of AU with Arkansas making offers to our HC and trying to steal him away from Auburn.  ARKANSAS lol - and no one has ever pursued CGM for another HC job since he's been here - yet they let Arkansas' overtures scare them out of $49M guaranteed contract?

#7 Fast forward 11 months and some of the same AU Admin/BOT along with influential AU $$ Donors are having second thought, 'cause the $49M Man ain't putting a respectable product on the field.  Someone decides to leak information about certain "AU people" initiating contact with retired Bod Stoops to see if he has interest in the HC job. Ol Bob vehemently and publicly denies it and says it's ridiculous and it all fades like a fart in the wind.  So possibly some of the same folks leak more detailed information to outside sources (Josh Moon/Jay Tate/Phillip Marshall) about the inner workings, behind the scenes "negotiations" between a powerful AU supporter and our HC while the President flies off to DC.  Tweeters go WILD on this stuff.  While the actual coaches are trying to keep their heads above water fielding questions and concerns from prospective recruits they've built relationships with over months on end.  All for the HC to deny anyone at AU tried to reduce or alter his contract.  And the Athletic Director claims "CGM is the Coach of the Future"!  CGM promises All is Well, he will "turn this thing around" and the future is bright.

ALL of this in just shy of a 24 MONTH period.

Forgive this Auburn Alum if I refuse to tote the banner of Auburn as being morally superior to any other University.

#1 - petty? Sure. Immoral? Not so sure. A LOT of people think Golloway is a not-so-great guy. Who knows the whole story?

#2 and #3 are the same. It's a terrible situation. A black mark to be sure.

#4 is a Chuck Person problem. Not an Auburn problem. 

#5 and #7 are in no way an example of any immorality. Pathetically unorganized but why would you think this is immoral?

Bad things are going to happen anywhere, including Auburn. As long as they are handled the right way, and not swept under the rug, that's all you can do. The athletic department should get a TON of flack for knowingly taking on Myers' son when they knew he had a problem at Arizona State. 

I too am sick of this "holier than thou" attitude that some of our fans have. We are not a church, we are paying CGM $7 million a year, we have every damn right to expect and try to get results.

6 hours ago, AUwent said:

I too am sick of this "holier than thou" attitude that some of our fans have. We are not a church, we are paying CGM $7 million a year, we have every damn right to expect and try to get results.

AMEN, A SECOND COLLECTION WILL BE MADE TO COLLECT MONEY FOR A GUS BUYOUT.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, alexava said:

I think we should stop recruiting 5* players. 

I think you are on to something here.  Just think, Corso is so obsessed about wearing Aubie’s head during his pick, he mentions it every time he picks AU to win on Game Day.  We are in his head.  It could work for 5*s too.  Refuse to invite them to recruiting weekends (big cat, etc) until they can’t stand the shun.  We’ll be swimming in 5*s with in a recruiting cycle or two.

Yeah, yeah; that’s the ticket.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:37 AM, McLoofus said:

We also were recruiting Jonathan Taylor before bama was. Then the Ray Rice thing happened and then suddenly "you don't go there".

Also, bama graduates and their families love bama just like Auburn graduates and their families love Auburn. The difference is that there's this whole other population of fans that they have and we don't. 

We'd approach the football program the exact same way they do if we had the same network and know-how. 

Disagree that we approach the football program the same way bama does.  When it comes to hiring a head  coach they go to the nfl and we hire a high school coach.  Bama may make mistakes hiring a coach such as shula but correct that mistake hiring saben.  Auburn continues to make the same mistake over and over.  Chizek to malzahn.  Bama probably would not have given a huge buyout to a coach that demonstrated the voltality  of seasons as malzahn has had.  It's the attitude bama has a winning atttitude.

1 hour ago, James Howell said:

Disagree that we approach the football program the same way bama does.  When it comes to hiring a head  coach they go to the nfl and we hire a high school coach.  Bama may make mistakes hiring a coach such as shula but correct that mistake hiring saben.  Auburn continues to make the same mistake over and over.  Chizek to malzahn.  Bama probably would not have given a huge buyout to a coach that demonstrated the voltality  of seasons as malzahn has had.  It's the attitude bama has a winning atttitude.

I don't think you read the last sentence of my post. 

On 2/14/2019 at 12:39 PM, abw0004 said:

From what WDE has said, Pickens still may not qualify because Hoover took too long.  That's why Picken's family was considering to have him transfer.  Interesting.  I haven't seen Clemson grouped into that group before, which makes sense.  Clemson doesn't have the highest rated classes, but they sure can evaluate.  I would actually group Clemson more with us fan-base wise.

I give Clemson coaching staff a ton of credit for developing talent also.  Maybe I am imagining it, but they seem to be experts in eval and developing

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

I give Clemson coaching staff a ton of credit for developing talent also.  Maybe I am imagining it, but they seem to be experts in eval and developing

Could not agree more.

9 hours ago, Beaker said:

They recruit elite at some key positions: QB, DL, DB and WR. Dabo's rise coincided with him having a great college qb every year since 2011. Everyone talks about Deshaun Watson but it was Tahj Boyd who saved his job and started his string of 10 win seasons. He has never looked back. Every season since Tahj Became the starter in 2011 they have had a 10 win season. That is when they took off. in 2011 when we got up 14-0 on them they have been on a historic run ever since.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:13 PM, toddc said:

I can't tell you how many bammer alums I've met over the years who did exactly that, and openly confessed it. 

On 2/20/2019 at 7:10 AM, GwillMac6 said:

They recruit elite at some key positions: QB, DL, DB and WR. Dabo's rise coincided with him having a great college qb every year since 2011. Everyone talks about Deshaun Watson but it was Tahj Boyd who saved his job and started his string of 10 win seasons. He has never looked back. Every season since Tahj Became the starter in 2011 they have had a 10 win season. That is when they took off. in 2011 when we got up 14-0 on them they have been on a historic run ever since.

+1

They also have good coordinators that utilize the talent and tailor the scheme to get the most out of them.  I don't think Dabo is some elite X's/O's type HC, he seems to let his coaches do their job.  I'm sure he oversee's the game plan and veto's where he sees fit, but the staff carries a heavy load of the planning and game prep.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

+1

They also have good coordinators that utilize the talent and tailor the scheme to get the most out of them.  I don't think Dabo is some elite X's/O's type HC, he seems to let his coaches do their job.  I'm sure he oversee's the game plan and veto's where he sees fit, but the staff carries a heavy load of the planning and game prep.

I would guess so, too. Maybe one reason that his staff has stayed intact. They're all getting to do things more or less their way. 

Archived