Do we have a 5* Curse?

AUght2win

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Don't know about that but I do know as a fan base we don't reallylike 5 stars, but we have so much pride on under dogs. They are the favorites and can play mediocre but we build them up to be top dogs. 5 star guy don't become an all time great but could still play decent......we are all over him.  That's who we pull for, then complain that we are average in the sport. 

I know it's not everybody, there are few things in the world that's absolute but that's what I notice, especially on the internet

This is an odd mentality, but fits this fan base to a tee. 

I think the whole concept is ingrained from many generations ago.  We aren't a brash, poke your chest out, arrogant fan base that knows we are the best and makes no apologies for demanding the best out of Auburn.  Our people for some reason cherish the under dog role. 

It's evidenced every season when people on this very site hope that AU will be un-ranked or ranked very low  preseason because they think "that's when Auburn performs best.....as the underdog."  I know has always been the mentality of my father/grandfathers/uncles who are also AU alum.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I think the whole concept is ingrained from many generations ago.  We aren't a brash, poke your chest out, arrogant fan base that knows we are the best and makes no apologies for demanding the best out of Auburn.  Our people for some reason cherish the under dog role. 

It's evidenced every season when people on this very site hope that AU will be un-ranked or ranked very low  preseason because they think "that's when Auburn performs best.....as the underdog."  I know has always been the mentality of my father/grandfathers/uncles who are also AU alum.

Oh man, you guys are so spot on. Ties right in with the "REC causes all our problems" and other LBS symptoms. 

And the next time we field a pretty good team, we'll complain about the lack of respect and ask why USC and Notre Dame are blue blood programs and we're not. 

21 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

YAH William and Mary BABY!!!! That will get these up and coming coaches fired up and want to come to these things!!! lol

Pretty sure that W&M dude played for Gus at Tulsa, which explains a lot.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I wholeheartedly agree with your viewpoint, with a minor tweak of the fact that taking an underdog role doesn't imply we do not expect the best.  It can be the opposite.  I am one of those that loves the underdog role as I have always viewed myself as an underdog in the various areas in my life.  It fuels me to run everyone else into the ground.  Gives me that chip on my shoulder.  An example I will use if you are into the NBA is Russell Westbrook.  Has always been an underdog and embraces it.  Uses it to set the world on fire when he steps onto the court.

It goes back to the quote from Pat Dye where he said something along the lines of "Alabama fans love Alabama football.  Auburn fans love Auburn."  I believe this sentiment to be true in this particular discussion, especially from Auburn fans that graduated from Auburn.  At the end of the day, win or lose, we love our school and everything it stands for.  So we are naturally not as inclined to take as many risks that could potentially put a stain on our school if we got caught.  Other fan bases may be willing to take that risk.

In theory, it really just depends on your personality.  People who view themselves as underdogs or having to work for everything they have want to cheer for underdogs as they see themselves in that player.  Those who are more vocal in their accomplishments may like those who flaunt their talent.  It just depends on the person.  I would agree that there are more people at Auburn with the underdog mentality because like-minds attract and each university has its own personality.  When you or your children (I believe you have children at Auburn correct?) toured the school, think back to what won them over.  For me, I felt like I was at home, that everyone was similar to me, that it was my family.  I hope that provides better clarity.

31 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with your viewpoint, with a minor tweak of the fact that taking an underdog role doesn't imply we do not expect the best.  It can be the opposite.  I am one of those that loves the underdog role as I have always viewed myself as an underdog in the various areas in my life.  It fuels me to run everyone else into the ground.  Gives me that chip on my shoulder.  An example I will use if you are into the NBA is Russell Westbrook.  Has always been an underdog and embraces it.  Uses it to set the world on fire when he steps onto the court.

It goes back to the quote from Pat Dye where he said something along the lines of "Alabama fans love Alabama football.  Auburn fans love Auburn."  I believe this sentiment to be true in this particular discussion, especially from Auburn fans that graduated from Auburn.  At the end of the day, win or lose, we love our school and everything it stands for.  So we are naturally not as inclined to take as many risks that could potentially put a stain on our school if we got caught.  Other fan bases may be willing to take that risk.

In theory, it really just depends on your personality.  People who view themselves as underdogs or having to work for everything they have want to cheer for underdogs as they see themselves in that player.  Those who are more vocal in their accomplishments may like those who flaunt their talent.  It just depends on the person.  I would agree that there are more people at Auburn with the underdog mentality because like-minds attract and each university has its own personality.  When you or your children (I believe you have children at Auburn correct?) toured the school, think back to what won them over.  For me, I felt like I was at home, that everyone was similar to me, that it was my family.  I hope that provides better clarity.

Sorry but that’s not true . Historically we have taken risk as well. It’s just so happens the other teams are actually successful with their risks. It was a huge risk taking Cam Newton and staying with him throughout the season. I know Gene took in some questionable characters and his staff , although great recruiters , were questionable too. Let’s stop acting like Auburn is some holy grail. We are no different than many of the other SEC powers in terms of seeking advantages and it’s okay to admit that.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sorry but that’s not true . Historically we have taken risk as well. It’s just so happens the other teams are actually successful with their risks. It was a huge risk taking Cam Newton and staying with him throughout the season. I k ow Gene took in some questionable characters and his staff , although great recruiters , were questionable too. Let’s stop acting like Auburn is some holy grail. We are no different than many of the other SEC powers in terms of seeking advantages and it’s okay to admit that.

We also were recruiting Jonathan Taylor before bama was. Then the Ray Rice thing happened and then suddenly "you don't go there".

Also, bama graduates and their families love bama just like Auburn graduates and their families love Auburn. The difference is that there's this whole other population of fans that they have and we don't. 

We'd approach the football program the exact same way they do if we had the same network and know-how. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

We also were recruiting Jonathan Taylor before bama was. Then the Ray Rice thing happened and then suddenly "you don't go there".

Also, bama graduates and their families love bama just like Auburn graduates and their families love Auburn. The difference is that there's this whole other population of fans that they have and we don't. 

We'd approach the football program the exact same way they do if we had the same network and know-how. 

Exactly. My older brother and his wife graduated from Bama and they love their university and consider it a family. You make a good point about “the other fans.” Guess what folks? That comes with any type of dynasty. There are people up here in Wisconsin who wear Alabama gear and never been to Alabama a day in their life. They just enjoy a winner. I have a coworker from freaking Canada who is the biggest Alabama fan. This comes with the territory in any sport. Look at all the warrior fans across the nation now. 

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sorry but that’s not true . Historically we have taken risk as well. It’s just so happens the other teams are actually successful with their risks. It was a huge risk taking Cam Newton and staying with him throughout the season. I know Gene took in some questionable characters and his staff , although great recruiters , were questionable too. Let’s stop acting like Auburn is some holy grail. We are no different than many of the other SEC powers in terms of seeking advantages and it’s okay to admit that.

Oh I agree we have taken some risks.  Even as recently as hiring Bruce Pearl and sticking with him during the investigation.  That's why I said we weren't willing to take as many risks, instead of saying we weren't willing to take any risks.  I carefully worded that sentence for this reason.  :laugh:  Sneaky, sneaky.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Oh I agree we have taken some risks.  Even as recently as hiring Bruce Pearl and sticking with him during the investigation.  That's why I said we weren't willing to take as many risks, instead of saying we weren't willing to take any risks.  I carefully worded that sentence for this reason.  :laugh:  Sneaky, sneaky.

I don’t know man...even with the George Pickens recruitment. We knew what type of kid he was. Now we are upset because he went to the biggest bidder (supposedly) lol. I for one second don’t think Auburn had been exempted of this, even under Gus. That’s just my feelings. And that doesn’t make Auburn any less great in my eyes. No place is perfect.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

+1

And guess what?  Texas graduates and their families love Texas, Clemson graduates and their families love Clemson, Arkansas people love Arkansas, LSU...OSU...aTm...Duke...Wisconsin ....the list goes on and on.

When Auburn people come to the realization that every graduate loves their alma matre and not just a team, they may finally get over the holier than thou that Auburn is so much more supreme and above others.  

I think you touched on a very important issue 'Loof.  Auburn doesn't have the know-how to get over the JABA moniker that so deeply permeates the AU institution.  People in authority, Administrators in decision making positions don't know how to propel Auburn to the next level.  Therefore, the alumni and fan base have no choice but to embrace the under dog role because it's been a way of life for generations.  I hope for better days ahead, better leadership and much better overall Administration.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t know man...even with the George Pickens recruitment. We knew what type of kid he was. Now we are upset because he went to the biggest bidder (supposedly) lol. I for one second don’t think Auburn had been exempted of this, even under Gus. That’s just my feelings. And that doesn’t make Auburn any less great in my eyes. No place is perfect.

I am just waiting to see him on Last Chance U because he didn't qualify.  :cheer:  I wonder if he needs a handler like the Florida State QB this past season did.  I don't think Auburn can be exempted, but I do think we might take more calculated risks than others might.  It seems as though UGA is just asking for the NCAA to investigate.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

+1

And guess what?  Texas graduates and their families love Texas, Clemson graduates and their families love Clemson, Arkansas people love Arkansas, LSU...OSU...aTm...Duke...Wisconsin ....the list goes on and on.

When Auburn people come to the realization that every graduate loves their alma matre and not just a team, they may finally get over the holier than thou that Auburn is so much more supreme and above others.  

I think you touched on a very important issue 'Loof.  Auburn doesn't have the know-how to get over the JABA moniker that so deeply permeates the AU institution.  People in authority, Administrators in decision making positions don't know how to propel Auburn to the next level.  Therefore, the alumni and fan base have no choice but to embrace the under dog role because it's been a way of life for generations.  I hope for better days ahead, better leadership and much better overall Administration.

Yeah I like an underdog as much as the next but in real life m the Rudy’s don’t actually make a QB sack. It is very far and between that the Balboa’s but the Apollo Creed’s of the world. The funny thing is Auburn in itself is a have , not a have not, but we don’t want to believe it lol. We are not underdogs folks. Underachieving ? Yes. That’s the truth.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly. My older brother and his wife graduated from Bama and they love their university and consider it a family. You make a good point about “the other fans.” Guess what folks? That comes with any type of dynasty. There are people up here in Wisconsin who wear Alabama gear and never been to Alabama a day in their life. They just enjoy a winner. I have a coworker from freaking Canada who is the biggest Alabama fan. This comes with the territory in any sport. Look at all the warrior fans across the nation now. 

Ha!  Get this...the wife and I were in San Diego last October during the Day of the Dead celebrations.  We visited the USS Midway and visited gift shops.....One shop had a cart with various skulls for sell - many NFL/MLB logo skulls on display.  Damned if I didn't see a row of crimson skulls with script A's on the top and RTR across the back.  The wife asked the vendor where the AU/War Eagle skulls were and the little man just "acted" like he couldn't speak English.  lol

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I like an underdog as much as the next but in real life m the Rudy’s don’t actually make a QB sack. It is very far and between that the Balboa’s but the Apollo Creed’s of the world. The funny thing is Auburn in itself is a have , not a have not, but we don’t want to believe it lol. We are not underdogs folks. Underachieving ? Yes. That’s the truth.

You nailed it bro

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am just waiting to see him on Last Chance U because he didn't qualify.  :cheer:  I wonder if he needs a handler like the Florida State QB this past season did.  I don't think Auburn can be exempted, but I do think we might take more calculated risks than others might.  It seems as though UGA is just asking for the NCAA to investigate.

Pickens was verbally committed to Auburn for +/- 18 months, Auburn people were aware of his academic issues.  Hoover was urged to put him on a careful academic plan for him to reach eligibility.  Unless the kid blew off the whole thing, he'll qualify.

UGA upped their game, so did Fisher/aTm, Pruitt/Tennessee, Mullen/UF and Dabo/Clemson are "doing work" too.  I'm interested in watching the Texas/aTm recruiting scene take shape in the near future, both programs mean business.  

21 minutes ago, keesler said:

Pickens was verbally committed to Auburn for +/- 18 months, Auburn people were aware of his academic issues.  Hoover was urged to put him on a careful academic plan for him to reach eligibility.  Unless the kid blew off the whole thing, he'll qualify.

UGA upped their game, so did Fisher/aTm, Pruitt/Tennessee, Mullen/UF and Dabo/Clemson are "doing work" too.  I'm interested in watching the Texas/aTm recruiting scene take shape in the near future, both programs mean business.  

From what WDE has said, Pickens still may not qualify because Hoover took too long.  That's why Picken's family was considering to have him transfer.  Interesting.  I haven't seen Clemson grouped into that group before, which makes sense.  Clemson doesn't have the highest rated classes, but they sure can evaluate.  I would actually group Clemson more with us fan-base wise.

Some of you guys get such a kick out of insisting Auburn is nothing special. I really don't get it. It's not a perfect place, but it is an anomaly in the college athletics world and very unique. 

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Some of you guys get such a kick out of insisting Auburn is nothing special. I really don't get it. It's not a perfect place, but it is an anomaly in the college athletics world and very unique. 

Lol, nobody gets a kick out of it. 

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Lol out of all those descriptive well thought out posts that's what you took from them? Hilarious

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol out of all those descriptive well thought out posts that's what you took from them? Hilarious

McLoof saying we'd do things the same as Bama if we just had the "network and know-how", Kees saying everybody loves their school so we've got no need for a holier than thou attitude. I disagree on both accounts.

Especially the first sentiment. As if Alabama has some shadowy, underground network of brilliant puppeteers that allows them to run their program dirty and not get caught? LMAO, Alabama runs its pay-for-play program about as clumsily and out-in-the-open as you possibly could. Look at Tom Albetar. Look at Albert Means. But currently, they are too big to fail and the NCAA is on THE SHAKIEST of ground, meaning they won't go after any money-making blueblood.

I always say, if the speed limit is 50, the SEC is all doing 65. But Bama (and now UGA) are doing 120, drunk, with sixty kilos of coke and three dead hookers in the trunk. Auburn could absolutely run its program the same as Alabama right now, but it chooses not to.  We aren't lacking a bunch of ingenius alumnus or money. 

56 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

McLoof saying we'd do things the same as Bama if we just had the "network and know-how", Kees saying everybody loves their school so we've got no need for a holier than thou attitude. I disagree on both accounts.

Especially the first sentiment. As if Alabama has some shadowy, underground network of brilliant puppeteers that allows them to run their program dirty and not get caught? LMAO, Alabama runs its pay-for-play program about as clumsily and out-in-the-open as you possibly could. Look at Tom Albetar. Look at Albert Means. But currently, they are too big to fail and the NCAA is on THE SHAKIEST of ground, meaning they won't go after any money-making blueblood.

I always say, if the speed limit is 50, the SEC is all doing 65. But Bama (and now UGA) are doing 120, drunk, with sixty kilos of coke and three dead hookers in the trunk. Auburn could absolutely run its program the same as Alabama right now, but it chooses not to.  We aren't lacking a bunch of ingenius alumnus or money. 

Honestly not sure whose argument this supports more or refutes more, lol, but it's funny and convenient that I just happened upon this. Good read.

According to a high-ranking source at UAB, “Some of the prominent alumni, Paul Jr. being among them, got very concerned that Alabama was becoming a very average school and a very average program.”

The two — the football program and school — were an inseparable brand. Rather than fight that, Alabama embraced it, mostly because they had no choice. Football was woven into the network of people who controlled the University of Alabama, and the brand was arguably as valuable as any other asset the University had.

That same UAB source says the message became clear. “Together they decided that Tuscaloosa was, and always had been, honestly, the crown jewel of the university system and that they needed to get that in order.”

The crown jewel of the university’s public face was football, and to reboot the school’s image and fatten enrollment, football had to be a visible, successful asset. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/2/7/18157817/alabama-saban-school-spending-program-recruiting

Oh, this also stood out, and is more relevant to the OP:

Starters who spend a year or more at Alabama at the top of the depth chart have a 55 percent chance of getting picked in the NFL Draft, a margin of 10 points higher than the next best competitor, Ohio State.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/2/7/18157817/alabama-saban-school-spending-program-recruiting

30 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Disagree with me all you want man.  I have a hard time pimping the holier than thou  attitude when Auburn continues to JABA at every freaking turn. 

Example

#1 Sunny Galloway's wrongful termination resulting in a settlement with AU pouring out +/-$1M and Jay Jacobs saying "you won't get a dime from Auburn Buddy"....  I laugh till this day when I think of JJ manning up to Sunny in that exchange of words.

#2 An AU softball player sends a 14 pg complaint with allegations of abuse and sexual harassment to the Governor of Alabama & accuses AU of an administrative cover-up resulting in a Title XI lawsuit, claims Clint Myers knowingly let his son Corey have relations and pursue relations with multiple members of the team.  Resulting in the termination of the culprit with Jacobs giving glowing rendition claiming the coach left on his own accord because "Coaching is hard and time consuming Myers just wants to spend more quality time with his family"  BULLSH! 

#3 The voluntary "retirement" of one of the best softball HC's Auburn has ever had, because of his own sons actions towards AU student-athletes that were under his protection and guidance.

#4 A formerly loved AU alum/player turned Asst HC of Basketball getting federal indicted on half a dozen charges for his shady dealings with another former AU alum/player when they worked a deal with an agent, resulting in scathing headlines for Auburn and two more coaches termination of employment because of their involvement. And Two AU student-athletes get benched for a full season due to them or their AU alum parent receiving improper benefits all orchestrated by an AU coach (former AU player)

#5  AU Administration with the approval of AU BOT and President give Head Football Coach a guaranteed $49M/7 yr contract in 2017. Because a sports agent stirred the pot and scared the crap out of AU with Arkansas making offers to our HC and trying to steal him away from Auburn.  ARKANSAS lol - and no one has ever pursued CGM for another HC job since he's been here - yet they let Arkansas' overtures scare them out of $49M guaranteed contract?

#7 Fast forward 11 months and some of the same AU Admin/BOT along with influential AU $$ Donors are having second thought, 'cause the $49M Man ain't putting a respectable product on the field.  Someone decides to leak information about certain "AU people" initiating contact with retired Bod Stoops to see if he has interest in the HC job. Ol Bob vehemently and publicly denies it and says it's ridiculous and it all fades like a fart in the wind.  So possibly some of the same folks leak more detailed information to outside sources (Josh Moon/Jay Tate/Phillip Marshall) about the inner workings, behind the scenes "negotiations" between a powerful AU supporter and our HC while the President flies off to DC.  Tweeters go WILD on this stuff.  While the actual coaches are trying to keep their heads above water fielding questions and concerns from prospective recruits they've built relationships with over months on end.  All for the HC to deny anyone at AU tried to reduce or alter his contract.  And the Athletic Director claims "CGM is the Coach of the Future"!  CGM promises All is Well, he will "turn this thing around" and the future is bright.

ALL of this in just shy of a 24 MONTH period.

Forgive this Auburn Alum if I refuse to tote the banner of Auburn as being morally superior to any other University.

Archived