Do we have a 5* Curse?

AUght2win

2 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

I can't tell you how many bammer alums I've met over the years who did exactly that, and openly confessed it. 

Absolutely - their OOS enrollment has doubled since their football run began.  It's at an unprecedented level of like 65% OOS students.  The out-of-state tuition costs considerably less than in-state in many places, i.e. Cali/Texas/CT/NY/NJ, etc.  It's affordable for OOS parents to send their kids to uat, and the kids don't mind because they get to party hard and experience good football they'd never get if they stayed in their home state. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll throw out one thing. It's one thing for a sport or really anything else to get you thinking about a school. It's something else to actually go there because of that one thing. 

Football raised awareness of bama and enhanced the prestige/perception of the school, no doubt. But I'm curious how many kids went there strictly because of football. 

33 minutes ago, keesler said:

+1

They also have good coordinators that utilize the talent and tailor the scheme to get the most out of them.  I don't think Dabo is some elite X's/O's type HC, he seems to let his coaches do their job.  I'm sure he oversee's the game plan and veto's where he sees fit, but the staff carries a heavy load of the planning and game prep.

Absolutely positively co sign. I wish Gus would be like this. I really do. I think his best qualities are that of a CEO coach which Dabo absolutely is. I think Dabo not ever calling plays before he became a head coach helps with him being ok with this mentality. Gus is a micro manager control freak on his side of the ball. But by all accounts he is great when it comes to the defensive staff doing their thing and give them complete freedom. Imagine that being hands off is the side of the ball we have had the most success with lately in recruiting and on the field.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Absolutely positively co sign. I wish Gus would be like this. I really do. I think his best qualities are that of a CEO coach which Dabo absolutely is. I think Dabo not ever calling plays before he became a head coach helps with him being ok with this mentality. Gus is a micro manager control freak on his side of the ball. But by all accounts he is great when it comes to the defensive staff doing their thing and give them complete freedom. Imagine that being hands off is the side of the ball we have had the most success with lately in recruiting and on the field.

I'll never not wonder what could have been if Lindsey had been allowed to run the offense. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I'll never not wonder what could have been if Lindsey had been allowed to run the offense. 

The end of 2017 REGULAR season for a whole season?

35 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I've often wondered if Gus was being micro managed to a great extent because he was so inexperienced when he came back as HC. 

We all heard the rumors of the level of mirco-management that was heaped on Gene Chizik early in his AU stint.  That micro management may have actually helped him get through the 2010 Newton drama.  But that same mirco-management may have been to Chiz's detriment by the time the '12 season rolled around.  I just cringe at the names Wayne Bolt & Tim Jackson even to this day. 😵

Archived