Ole Miss Vacates 33 Wins

ShocksMyBrain

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Ole-Miss-Vacates-33-Wins-In-Wake-Of-NCAA-Investigation-129000086/

The Ole Miss football program has vacated 33 wins as part of its NCAA penalties.

Ole Miss athletic director Ross Bjork made the announcement during the first of a series of town hall meetings with fans Monday night in Cleveland, as was first reported by Chase Parham of RebelGrove.com.

Games spread across parts of six seasons are included among those forfeited. Some 27 of those victories now forfeited occurred during the Hugh Freeze era between the 2012 and 2016 seasons. The other forfeits came during Houston Nutt's last two seasons with the program in 2010 and 2011 and were related to ACT violations.

The affected seasons are 2010 (four games), 2011 (two games), 2012 (seven games), 2013 (seven games), 2014 (eight games) and 2016 (five games). The only bowl game affected is the 2012 BBVA Compass Bowl played in Birmingham. Ole Miss has forfeited that win over Pitt.

46COMMENTS

Wins in the 2013 Music City Bowl and the 2016 Sugar Bowl were allowed to stand.

The 2015 season was unaffected because Laremy Tunsil was the ineligible player, and he was held out for seven games by the Ole Miss administration while an investigation into his alleged actions played out. It was Tunsil's participation in the 2013 and 2014 seasons that caused those wins to be vacated. The 2012 forfeits are related to player participation by those who also affected the 2010 and 2011 seasons. The five forfeits for the 2016 season are also due to ineligible player participation

13 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

woo hoo we are no longer 0-8 for the 2012 SEC season!!.

A forefeited game doesn’t award the loser a W. The game is thought of as never happening. So we’re 0-7, technically I guess. So you’re right. 

Kinda like 2004 national championship that USC vacated. No number one anymore, AU highest-ranked at #2.

5 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Kinda like 2004 national championship that USC vacated. No number one anymore, AU highest-ranked at #2.

True and I'm still waiting for them to send us our championship banner. ..probably got lost in shipment...:-\

Meanwhile bama  vacated 21 wins in the past....bama was 2005, 2006 and 2007.....which technically I guess means that Tuberville does not get three of those wins over bama.   

Funny thing too if you go to this bama site they have no record of Mike Shula as a coach ….just skip his years and the four seasons he was there and no bio of him   Nice way to treat one of their former QBs huh?    So bama did not just vacate the wins,.....they vacated the seasons and vacated several of their HCs too.  :dunno:

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2012/7/20/3160979/alabama-by-the-numbers-a-century-of-win-loss-records-and-win

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Meanwhile bama  vacated 21 wins in the past....bama was 2005, 2006 and 2007.....which technically I guess means that Tuberville does not get three of those wins over bama.   

Funny thing too if you go to this bama site they have no record of Mike Shula as a coach ….just skip his years and the four seasons he was there and no bio of him   Nice way to treat one of their former QBs huh?    So bama did not just vacate the wins,.....they vacated the seasons and vacated several of their HCs too.  :dunno:

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2012/7/20/3160979/alabama-by-the-numbers-a-century-of-win-loss-records-and-win

Why wouldn’t Tuberville get the wins? Am I missing something?

8 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Why wouldn’t Tuberville get the wins? Am I missing something?

Vacated games as I understand it don't count as if it were not played....although maybe I'm misunderstanding something.   I know when a game is vacated, it comes off the record of the team and coach..   But maybe they just leave the losses alone?     :dunno: 

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

...2012 SEC season!!.

I have no idea what you're talking about. We didn't play football that season. 

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Vacated games as I understand it don't count as if it were not played....although maybe I'm misunderstanding something.   I know when a game is vacated, it comes off the record of the team and coach..   But maybe they just leave the losses alone?     :dunno: 

The offending team’s wins are vacated. Their losses stand. They don’t vacate the games entirely as it would also punish the teams they played. 

24 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The offending team’s wins are vacated. Their losses stand. They don’t vacate the games entirely as it would also punish the teams they played. 

This - the penalty and sanctions are imposed on the offender as punishment.  The winning team (AU) doesn't get punished when they were clean and clear, they count the W's and it stands in the record books at it should.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

This - the penalty and sanctions are imposed on the offender as punishment.  The winning team (AU) doesn't get punished when they were clean and clear, they count the W's and it stands in the record books at it should.

So does the team that lost the vacated game......remove that game from it's records also?   If not, the teams  on head to head will have a different number of games played?   I'm probably making this more difficult than it should be?  :-\

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So does the team that lost the vacated game......remove that game from it's records also?   If not, the teams  on head to head will have a different number of games played?   I'm probably making this more difficult than it should be?  :-\

Nope - only the offending team that suffers sanctions has their record adjusted/affected by the penalties.  The "games" were played on the field, everyone knows who won and lost those games.  This "vacated" crap is ridiculous IMO  - we all know who Hugh Freeze beat with those 5* players while at Ole Miss.   I don't know exactly how the record books record the vacated games, but the offender is the only team that gets an adjusted W/L column.

Yep...especially since most of the schools don't even bother to change their record books...at least most bama records for those years include the vacated wins.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:26 PM, auburnphan said:

In reality the most meaningless punishment that can be handed down.

Yes, the PTB vacated all of my A's from 3rd grade.  My life hasn't changed one bit due to that 😉😂🤣

Archived