Sign in to follow this  
slot canyon

Softball Plainsman Invitational

Recommended Posts

Auburn will play 6 games beginning with UAB Thursday on TV.  Play a single game Friday then 2 games each on Saturday and Sunday.  On Sunday we play a second game with UAB.  Just looking at records to date and some stats I would guess that Texas Tech may be best of field.  We play them our second game on Saturday.  They are 5-0 and beat Wisconsin and Nebraska this past weekend.  Their two primary pitchers to date have ERA's of 3.05 and 3.82.  The main pitcher, as far as innings pitched (#2 Edmoundson), Has pitched 18.1 innings in 5 appearances .  So she ends up getting in a lot of games in some capacity.  She has 27 SO  and 6 BB and given up 13 hits.

UAB is 4-2.  Have 5 players hitting .400 or above.  Two pitchers have pitched 11 innings each with ERA's of 3.60 and 4.45.  Barns, #14 has pitched 11.2 innings with 11 SO and 1 BB.  Jenna Olszewski wears #6 in outfield.  

Auburn at 3-2 has 5 players hitting at or above .400.  Martin and Swindle have pitched 12 innings and Harris 6.2 innings.  ERA's 1.17, 3.50 and 3.15.  As a team we have committed 7 errors.

Current forecast indicates ok weather Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Sunday shows rain (light rain/showers) basically all day.  

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




14 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Auburn will play 6 games beginning with UAB Thursday on TV.  Play a single game Friday then 2 games each on Saturday and Sunday.  On Sunday we play a second game with UAB.  Just looking at records to date and some stats I would guess that Texas Tech may be best of field.  We play them our second game on Saturday.  They are 5-0 and beat Wisconsin and Nebraska this past weekend.  Their two primary pitchers to date have ERA's of 3.05 and 3.82.  The main pitcher, as far as innings pitched (#2 Edmoundson), Has pitched 18.1 innings in 5 appearances .  So she ends up getting in a lot of games in some capacity.  She has 27 SO  and 6 BB and given up 13 hits.

UAB is 4-2.  Have 5 players hitting .400 or above.  Two pitchers have pitched 11 innings each with ERA's of 3.60 and 4.45.  Barns, #14 has pitched 11.2 innings with 11 SO and 1 BB.  Jenna Olszewski wears #6 in outfield.  

Auburn at 3-2 has 5 players hitting at or above .400.  Martin and Swindle have pitched 12 innings and Harris 6.2 innings.  ERA's 1.17, 3.50 and 3.15.  As a team we have committed 7 errors.

Current forecast indicates ok weather Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Sunday shows rain (light rain/showers) basically all day.  

 

 

Thanks for the preview.  I may try to make it Saturday.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, around4ever said:

I thought this game was supposed to be on TV.  I couldn't find it if it was. 

Was on streaming  ESPN...got to see a few innings before supper.....AU up by 3-or 4-to zip and when  I finally got back it was over.....but sounds like a good way to start the weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

I found it on the ESPN app.  Good game ladies!!

Yeah, that's where I watched it.  I doubt we'll see many Saturday games on TV with basketball winding down.  Maybe some midweek, Friday or Sunday games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched on ESPN Replay at 10:30 P.  Go to Watch ESPN/Schedule and Replays/Replays then scroll down.  I did encounter a bit of trouble getting it started, had to try several times..  Then there were a few glitches in the stream, but I was able to see the whole game.  Liked our approach at the plate - 5 doubles.  That's what I'm talking about.  My only complaint is what they did to the outfield fence.  That plain old "Auburn Softball" seems second-class.  Other observations:  1) Olszewski had the only hit for UAB.  2)  Auburn batters got some really questionable strike calls.  3)  UAB would have been better off with the original pitcher - but they weren't going to win this game, anyway.  4)  When did TayTay start wearing glasses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, AU plays the Furman Paladins at 6 PM.  Furman will have played a game earlier in the day against Drake.  Furman record 2 W and 3 L.  Offensively 4 of their starters have batting average over .300.  They show 3 pitchers on their 18 member roster but I believe only 2 have pitched to date.  Their main pitcher (DeMonte) has started 3 of their 5 games and pitched 21 innings with ERA 5.67.  On paper, we should win this game and maybe go deep into our pitching staff.  Martin threw only 68 pitches yesterday so she should be well rested going into Sat. and Sun.  Noticed Rivera rubbing anterior aspect of right shoulder as though some irritation there.  She did the same during an at bat in Gulf Shores last weekend.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I watched on ESPN Replay at 10:30 P.  Go to Watch ESPN/Schedule and Replays/Replays then scroll down.  I did encounter a bit of trouble getting it started, had to try several times..  Then there were a few glitches in the stream, but I was able to see the whole game.  Liked our approach at the plate - 5 doubles.  That's what I'm talking about.  My only complaint is what they did to the outfield fence.  That plain old "Auburn Softball" seems second-class.  Other observations:  1) Olszewski had the only hit for UAB.  2)  Auburn batters got some really questionable strike calls.  3)  UAB would have been better off with the original pitcher - but they weren't going to win this game, anyway.  4)  When did TayTay start wearing glasses?

Taylon had glasses on last week at the Sand Dollar Classic.....maybe contacts weren't working for her?  And I agree with you on the padding - rather lame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Today, AU plays the Furman Paladins at 6 PM.  Furman will have played a game earlier in the day against Drake.  Furman record 2 W and 3 L.  Offensively 4 of their starters have batting average over .300.  They show 3 pitchers on their 18 member roster but I believe only 2 have pitched to date.  Their main pitcher (DeMonte) has started 3 of their 5 games and pitched 21 innings with ERA 5.67.  On paper, we should win this game and maybe go deep into our pitching staff.  Martin threw only 68 pitches yesterday so she should be well rested going into Sat. and Sun.  Noticed Rivera rubbing anterior aspect of right shoulder as though some irritation there.  She did the same during an at bat in Gulf Shores last weekend.  

Rivera took a nasty fall last week diving for a short fly early in the weekend.  I saw her rubbing her shoulder later as well......hopefully it isn't anything serious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AU web site isn't indicating any television/streaming for the rest of the weekend.  I believe this happened last year as well.  The University only has so many tv crews and they will be tied up with baseball, gymnastics, women's basketball, etc.  Maybe at least one crew will get freed up and sent to Jane Moore field!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

The AU web site isn't indicating any television/streaming for the rest of the weekend.  I believe this happened last year as well.  The University only has so many tv crews and they will be tied up with baseball, gymnastics, women's basketball, etc.  Maybe at least one crew will get freed up and sent to Jane Moore field!

Guess they have to decide how to spend their money....and maybe not being on TV is an inducement for a few more people to show up in person. 

Looked like a very modest "crowd" yesterday but then again....not exactly ideal softball/baseball watching weather. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess they have to decide how to spend their money....and maybe not being on TV is an inducement for a few more people to show up in person. 

Looked like a very modest "crowd" yesterday but then again....not exactly ideal softball/baseball watching weather. 

I was at the game last night (and yes, it was a bit chilly), and I was rather surprised by the size of the crowd.  Rather large for a chilly Thursday night game if you ask me. Many seats behind home plate were empty (if you watched online) but to the right and left, the crowd was much larger. Looking forward to a great season! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AUSBFAN said:

I was at the game last night (and yes, it was a bit chilly), and I was rather surprised by the size of the crowd.  Rather large for a chilly Thursday night game if you ask me. Many seats behind home plate were empty (if you watched online) but to the right and left, the crowd was much larger. Looking forward to a great season! 

That's what I had noticed...maybe those were reserved for the season and people not at the game.  Glad the crowd overall was good...hope the next couple games are more comfortable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe all the chair back seats are designated for season tickets. It did look odd that there was a low density of fans in the section behind home plate. I do suspect that being a Thursday night had in impact on attendance. Not a bad crowd considering date and weather.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very pleased to see Rivera showing some discipline at the plate last night. Overall great game. Wish I could watch or listen of the get the games in today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this