Softball Plainsman Invitational

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We scored 4 runs on 8 hits against TT.  We lost 17 games last year.  4 runs would have won 11 of those.  Again, had to go to secsports to get that information, as Auburn apparently doesn't want us to have any information.

2018 Schedule:

https://auburntigers.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=358

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=402&s=299002

Not sure what point you're trying to make, but I'll state some possibly relevant points:

1) We don't have Kaylee Carlson this year, so we're probably going to be giving up more runs vs 2018, so 4 runs is going to be enough less often.

2) We were 8-0 at this point last year (we started 15-0).

Other notes:

1) MD seems to be giving more players a chance this year. Don't love how he's doing it though - let a player start and play the whole game rather than havign them start and in limbo over whether they'll get a second AB.

2) Swindle had a 0.69 ERA last year in non-conference play. This year - 4.38. Her BA against are pretty similar though - .244 in 2018 and .266 in 2019. Just shows the impact of luck (mostly in sequencing) over small samples.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, saminbama said:

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I was at the Drake game and she is in fact pretty good, but we helped her.  The Drake pitcher relied on her rise ball for her K's.  Whenever she got to 2 strikes, you could bank the rise was coming and we couldn't lay off.  She's a good sized young lady who was consistently between 66 and 70 mph.  It was until the 4th that she threw a changeup.  MM was on point today and she had a low ball umpire behind the plate, which she loves.  Most of the hits off MM were twizzlers hit off the end of the bat that found a hole.  For the most part our defense was good.  We had several DP's and most were started by Taylon, but one around the horn DP was started by Tannon.  Those were nice plays.   Podany misplayed a ball in center field and I gave her the benefit of the doubt because it was late in the afternoon and she was looking right into the sun, but the very next inning the Drake CF had the exact same situation and she made the play.  Tannon's dinger was a no doubter.  Getting our first hit in the 6th is not good.   Our hitting has got to improve or our SEC schedule is going to be ugly.

Saminbama is right on the Drake pitcher.  She was good but it was the fact that AU would not lay off the rise ball where she got so many strike outs.  When we scored, Perry reached on a walk because she laid off the rise ball.  We finally learned (in the 5th) to take that pitch.  AU needs to learn who are the rise ball pitchers and no to avoid them early in the game to force them to bring the ball in zone.  May mean getting a few called strike threes,  but will get some walks before that to force the pitch into the zone.

I'll agree my point was murky, but I was trying to say that this loss was more on pitching than hitting.  Also, the decision to pitch Martin against Drake was a good one.  Dean evidently knew that we would have more trouble with Newman than Edmundsen (the TT starter).

big Inning for the Tigers - hang eight on the Paladins. Tay Snow singled, then btb homers by Crack and TanSnow.  Rivera hbp, Veach walked, Greenwood fouled out.  Perry hbp (Furman changed pitchers after the two homers).  Dowell walked in a run, Podany a 2-RBI single.  Two runs scored on double steals.

Auburn 8 , Furman 0 after 3.

Auburn 10, Furman 1 after 4.  Furman plates a run on a single and some groundouts.  Rivera homers, Dowell with a SAC fly to score Fornis, who ph for Greenwood, and was HBP.  Perry was also HBP, Cook pinch-ran.  I think Dowell is playing ss now..

No, wait!  It's 15-1 after 4.  Just a slight error on my part.  😁  I thought the inning was over when Godwyn ph for Podany, but she walked.  Then Maresette singled, RBI, and Crack singled, driving in two.  TanSnow then homered again.

Now game over at 15-1 after Handley retires the side in order.  Congrats to Handley on her complete game; that bodes well for the future.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

big Inning for the Tigers - hang eight on the Paladins. Tay Snow singled, then btb homers by Crack and TanSnow.  Rivera hbp, Veach walked, Greenwood fouled out.  Perry hbp (Furman changed pitchers after the two homers).  Dowell walked in a run, Podany a 2-RBI single.  Two runs scored on double steals.

Auburn 10, Furman 1 after 4.  Furman plates a run on a single and some groundouts.  Rivera homers, Dowell with a SAC fly to score Fornis, who ph for Greenwood, and was HBP.  Perry was also HBP, Cook pinch-ran.  I think Dowell is playing ss now..

No, wait!  It's 15-1 after 4.  Just a slight error on my part.  😁  I thought the inning was over when Godwyn ph for Podany, but she walked.  Then Maresette singled, RBI, and Crack singled, driving in two.  TanSnow then homered again.

Now game over at 15-1 after Handley retires the side in order.  Congrats to Handley on her complete game; that bodes well for the future.

Dang…..the stats linked to the softball site AU beating TT by 15-1    ..Not sure who is keeping up the site they also had the wrong teams yesterday…for one of the games.     Need a bit more professionalism on that site.   https://auburntigers.com/sidearmstats/softball/summary

So once again.....who did we play?  

We just beat Furman 15-1, with UAB coming up.  And they are still showing Texas Tech on sidearm stats, at least in some places.  Martin in the circle again, Maresette at the DP spot.

UAB scores two in the first on 3 hits.

Auburn gets btb doubles from Crack & Tannon, but can't score.  Going to top 2.

29 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We just beat Furman 15-1, with UAB coming up.  And they are still showing Texas Tech on sidearm stats, at least in some places.  Martin in the circle again, Maresette at the DP spot.

UAB scores two in the first on 3 hits.

Auburn gets btb doubles from Crack & Tannon, but can't score.  Going to top 2.

So how did Crack not score on the double by Tannon?

Evidently the double by Tannon was a soft liner down the line that looked as though it might be caught; so Crack had to hold up. Auburn has now scored three in bot 2 - still no outs, McCrackin up with two on.

Auburn now up 7-2, the big blow a 3-run homer by Rivera.

Martin gives up another single in top 3, but no damage.

Nothing for Auburn in bot 3 - Perry singled, but thrown out stealing.  Podany infield single.  Crack due up in bot 4.

UAB loads the bases with one out on a couple of errors by Martin and a single, but MM pitches out of it.  Going to bot 4, 7-2.

Auburn adds 3 in bot 4 on a triple by Veach and a wild pitch.  10-2 Auburn, need 3 outs.

Well, crap.  Martin got two outs and a 3-2 count on Crawford, then Crawford homered to extend the game.  Then two singles and Swindle coming in to pitch.

Auburn wins 11-3 on a double by Veach, scoring Godwin, who pinch-ran for Tan Snow.  McCrackin singled to start the inning, and Tannon walked.  Rivera hit a one-hopper that the pitcher snared, catching Crack in a rundown.  Then Veach lashed the double down the line in left.

9 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Seemed like Handley started out with control problems in the first but coach calmed her down and she finished strong.  At least that's the way it sounded on the audio feed.  Good win for the ladies.  I think CMD really wants two strong starters that he can go with and then help them out with long relief on the occasions that hey have rocky starts.  Think he's still looking for #2.

That's the way it sounded to me, also.  Glad to see Handley get a few innings in.  I was encouraged by her outing.  Really encouraged by what we've seen at the plate. Realize the competition hasn't been the strongest, but we seem to look a lot better than last year. Team BA is .365 with 18 homers.

7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

That's the way it sounded to me, also.  Glad to see Handley get a few innings in.  I was encouraged by her outing.  Really encouraged by what we've seen at the plate. Realize the competition hasn't been the strongest, but we seem to look a lot better than last year. Team BA is .365 with 18 homers.

Tannon snow has been the slugger we thought she would be. Proud of her for coming back strong after the illness she dealt with 2 years ago

19 hours ago, AU64 said:

Dang…..the stats linked to the softball site AU beating TT by 15-1    ..Not sure who is keeping up the site they also had the wrong teams yesterday…for one of the games.     Need a bit more professionalism on that site.   https://auburntigers.com/sidearmstats/softball/summary

So once again.....who did we play?  

Not sure who was keeping the live stats but they did a very poor job.  Showed we were playing the wrong team.......

Went and watched the Saturday games at JBM.  My two concerns are (still)  a) situational hitting with runners in scoring position (we had a lot of LOB), and b) pitching depth behind MM.  AS and CH were a bit shaky against Texas Tech.

I did enjoy seeing CMD get fired up about the call against JP....I thought he was gonna go get a piece of that 1B ump 😄

Archived