I really don’t think we’re a bad team....

tigerbrotha12

On 2/17/2019 at 1:59 PM, cole256 said:

Look at what these guys have to work with. I know some were upset when I said this but I wasn't saying it to be spiteful but the higher you go as far as levels playing basketball it's like football. The athletes are bigger and faster. With our roster the starting perimeter players has size equivalent to athletes I faced in middle school. And on top of that they aren't freak athletes. Well I guess Harper is but my point is there's no strategy you can come up with to stop a guy that's bigger, stronger, and faster than you.....it's not intimidating, it's easy for people to talk, critique and think something should happen on paper and then be disappointed. How would you expect for any job to be a top 25 rated company nationally from employees that doesn't have the basic qualifications for the job? You'll probably be lucky and catch a few guys that perform at a high level but more than likely you don't be as productive as a company that seek out specific individuals with a more rigorous qualification seeking process.

I don't know what you expect coaches to do defensively. We play press defense AND an up tempo offense. We're not a deep team, and we're a very small team, on top of that we don't take care of the ball on offense. What do you expect a coach to do to be great on defense with those variables?

I agree with a lot of your takes, but you continuing to act like Harper and Brown are average high school players is just ridiculous. Harper played like one of the best PGs in the league until his recent turnover woes, and Brown is the AU made 3s all time leader. I mean good grief, those are not what you faced in middle school, that is patently ridiculous. 

On 2/18/2019 at 9:37 PM, mustache eagle said:

Samir at the one as a spell for Harper?  I don’t think we’ve seen that this year but I thought he was brought in as a combo 1/2 originally?  I don’t know if Dunbar can defend a 2 but a second line of Samir, Dunbar, DP would be interesting to me.  It seems like Samir can handle the ball well enough ?  I know this is early December kind of discussion but it seems like we are there.

Sure, let's sit down our top two scores and see how that goes. That sounds like a great idea, just to get more size on the court? I just don't know what expectations are for some of yall. We are going to make the NCAA for the second year in a row after not making it in forever, and suddenly we want to trash the coaches and overhaul the roster. Why not focus on fixing what is fixable and enjoy the ride. The losses this team has had are coming down to the final possessions and I think we are a couple tweaks away from figuring some things out. 

I've been saying for a while our problems are chemistry/continuity based and should get better as we iron out rotations etc. I agree with some of the posts that Doughty isn't contributing enough, and Dunbar needs some more minutes in his role. But other than Wiley getting healthy and working him in, we need to establish what our basic rotation of 8 primary guys will be. From there we can tweak rebounding and defensive schemes and balancing minutes. Really that's all we have time left to do this season. I warned everyone preseason of chemistry issues and likely step back in the regular season, hoping it would lead to a better run in the post season. The first point has been accurate, hopefully the second part will be as well. 

Hands off the panic button guys. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I agree with a lot of your takes, but you continuing to act like Harper and Brown are average high school players is just ridiculous. Harper played like one of the best PGs in the league until his recent turnover woes, and Brown is the AU made 3s all time leader. I mean good grief, those are not what you faced in middle school, that is patently ridiculous. 

Sure, let's sit down our top two scores and see how that goes. That sounds like a great idea, just to get more size on the court? I just don't know what expectations are for some of yall. We are going to make the NCAA for the second year in a row after not making it in forever, and suddenly we want to trash the coaches and overhaul the roster. Why not focus on fixing what is fixable and enjoy the ride. The losses this team has had are coming down to the final possessions and I think we are a couple tweaks away from figuring some things out. 

I've been saying for a while our problems are chemistry/continuity based and should get better as we iron out rotations etc. I agree with some of the posts that Doughty isn't contributing enough, and Dunbar needs some more minutes in his role. But other than Wiley getting healthy and working him in, we need to establish what our basic rotation of 8 primary guys will be. From there we can tweak rebounding and defensive schemes and balancing minutes. Really that's all we have time left to do this season. I warned everyone preseason of chemistry issues and likely step back in the regular season, hoping it would lead to a better run in the post season. The first point has been accurate, hopefully the second part will be as well. 

Hands off the panic button guys. 

You should pay attention to details and actually read my post again.....I said their size were similar to what guards are.....and there's no panic in me, like I said season has gone like I've predicted. I thought we'd be getting it on track right about now though.

You were right about chemistry, I said the same. It's not about chemistry at the end of the year though, you were wrong about Dunbar and the losses of the players that left too, particularly Mitchell if I remember correctly

Of course I wasn't saying our back court were middle school level players.....

Oh and a couple of guys that I played against growing up in middle school were better shooters than Brown. The all time 3 point shooter thing isn't that impressive when you're the all time three point attempt leader as well.....it would be impressive if he shot a crazy percentage or had a crazy range, he just linked up with the right coach at the right time. The loyalty to him is actually hurting us now

17 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Sure, let's sit down our top two scores and see how that goes. That sounds like a great idea, just to get more size on the court? I just don't know what expectations are for some of yall.

you should read my post again ... i was talking about the second line.  i have been in favor of putting dunbar in the starting rotation for samir for a while now, but CBP loves samir so i'm throwing out some other thoughts for discussion.  Jvon has had a bad run of games - although last night was an improvement - so i was pondering if samir could handle point.  if he is only responsible for distributing it might help his game some (had a bunch of turnovers last night, but i cant recall how they happened).  again, i dont have a clue if he can handle it, but i was curious what others thought.  harper is our starter, period.  but, like last night, we have to spell him more.  brown started off slow-ish last night.  he essentially performed his best offensive work as coach was distributing minutes to players later in the game.

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

Oh and a couple of guys that I played against growing up in middle school were better shooters than Brown. The all time 3 point shooter thing isn't that impressive when you're the all time three point attempt leader as well.....it would be impressive if he shot a crazy percentage or had a crazy range, he just linked up with the right coach at the right time. The loyalty to him is actually hurting us now

You can substitute curry,  jJ reddick, and buddy hield name for brown and the logic is still the same from what your saying. They all shot around the same percent in their career. Jj was 1% higher than the rest.  Brown isnt them but the logic is still the same. 

Am I mistaken or did they show a graphic stating Bryce was 2nd in the SEC in 3pt FG%? I was not in the soberest of mindstates during the game so I could definitely be wrong

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Am I mistaken or did they show a graphic stating Bryce was 2nd in the SEC in 3pt FG%? I was not in the soberest of mindstates during the game so I could definitely be wrong

Bryce is second in the league to the Joe kid we played last night. Shooting 41.3%. He is also 5th in the league in scoring. Harper is 4th in 3pt % by the way shooting 39.3%, and is 2nd in the league in assists per game. They are both outstanding players. 

18 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Bryce is second in the league to the Joe kid we played last night. Shooting 41.3%. He is also 5th in the league in scoring. Harper is 4th in 3pt % by the way shooting 39.3%, and is 2nd in the league in assists per game. They are both outstanding players. 

Love it, thanks! Bryce is letting the game come to him much more since his little slump in mid-December and it's helping him and the team big time. 2nd in 3 point percentage in the conference for someone who shoots so many 3s is impressive.

55 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Love it, thanks! Bryce is letting the game come to him much more since his little slump in mid-December and it's helping him and the team big time. 2nd in 3 point percentage in the conference for someone who shoots so many 3s is impressive.

He is currently 7th all time in the SEC for 3s made. He needs 36 more to get to second all time. He is currently making 3.6 3s per game on average. At that rate he needs 10 games to get there. Five regular season, one SEC tourney game, and one post-season tourney game are given at the moment (7). We win a couple of tourney games and he may have a shot to do it. He is way to far behind Chris Lofton to reach number 1. 

Anyone who minimizes his shooting is simply wrong, he is a fantastic shooter. Numbers don't lie. 

I mentioned this last night at the game that Brown is a shooter that we havent seen i would say since Wesley Person. 

And  I don't see anyone on next year's team that can take up the slack when BB leaves.

We will need to have more inside game next year I think to produce as good as an offense unlike our guard heavy shooting the last 2 years. 

I'm not going to argue. I posted his stats around the 6th game of the season and he was top 5 in 3 point attempts. Trying to Trump his play up but saying he's Auburn's all things 3 point shooter is just trying to be misleading, if person shot 3's at that rate he shot a better percentage. I'd say Scott pohlman was a better shooter. But how hard is it to be the top shooter at a school that historically offenses didn't shoot 3's?

That would be like a QB starts his career right when Mike leach takes over the football program and he pass for a bunch of yards and say he's an all time QB for passing yards.....no he just was able to be in an air raid system at a school known mostly for running the ball.

But when you're so in love with a player that you cannot even read posts and comprehend and even after you see you made a mistake run with the misinformed narrative? Well I don't expect much from the poster on that subject. I'll just say you're wrong too

The numbers don't lie is one of the most misused lines on forums....numbers can be skewed even easier than words. The guy who pulls up and shoots 3's before he'll shoot lay ups is all time in 3's made......really???? I never would've guessed that!

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm not going to argue. I posted his stats around the 6th game of the season and he was top 5 in 3 point attempts. Trying to Trump his play up but saying he's Auburn's all things 3 point shooter is just trying to be misleading, if person shot 3's at that rate he shot a better percentage. I'd say Scott pohlman was a better shooter. But how hard is it to be the top shooter at a school that historically offenses didn't shoot 3's?

That would be like a QB starts his career right when Mike leach takes over the football program and he pass for a bunch of yards and say he's an all time QB for passing yards.....no he just was able to be in an air raid system at a school known mostly for running the ball.

But when you're so in love with a player that you cannot even read posts and comprehend and even after you see you made a mistake run with the misinformed narrative? Well I don't expect much from the poster on that subject. I'll just say you're wrong too

The numbers don't lie is one of the most misused lines on forums....numbers can be skewed even easier than words. The guy who pulls up and shoots 3's before he'll shoot lay ups is all time in 3's made......really???? I never would've guessed that!

Are you serious? You can't concede that Bryce is a great shooter? He's shooting 41+% for the season and has a chance to climb in to the top 5 3pt makes in SEC history! Come on Cole, you don't get to that just on volume alone. I am admittedly a fan of Brown, I have been since he was a sophomore. You just keep saying we should bring him off the bench, the best shooter in the conference. 

On 2/20/2019 at 2:44 PM, JwgreDeux said:

With our roster the starting perimeter players has size equivalent to athletes I faced in middle school. And on top of that they aren't freak athletes. Well I guess Harper is but my point is there's no strategy you can come up with to stop a guy that's bigger, stronger, and faster than you.....it's not intimidating, it's easy for people to talk, critique and think something should happen on paper and then be disappointed. How would you expect for any job to be a top 25 rated company nationally from employees that doesn't have the basic qualifications for the job? You'll probably be lucky and catch a few guys that perform at a high level but more than likely you don't be as productive as a company that seek out specific individuals with a more rigorous qualification seeking process.

I read your post. You say they have middle school size. Then you clearly say that how could we expect to be a top 25 team with players that don't have basic qualifications. The obvious suggestion there is they aren't qualified to be on a quality D1 team, ie only high school tallent. That's clearly what you posted. 

I'm not going to continue mincing words over what you post, but don't back down from it if you're going to post it. 

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Are you serious? You can't concede that Bryce is a great shooter? He's shooting 41+% for the season and has a chance to climb in to the top 5 3pt makes in SEC history! Come on Cole, you don't get to that just on volume alone. I am admittedly a fan of Brown, I have been since he was a sophomore. You just keep saying we should bring him off the bench, the best shooter in the conference. 

I read your post. You say they have middle school size. Then you clearly say that how could we expect to be a top 25 team with players that don't have basic qualifications. The obvious suggestion there is they aren't qualified to be on a quality D1 team, ie only high school tallent. That's clearly what you posted. 

I'm not going to continue mincing words over what you post, but don't back down from it if you're going to post it. 

I'm really trying to be cordial with you.....you play the role well, you can swoop down and tell somebody they're wrong but you're not to humble on conceding you were wrong.....don't be fake on a board....pick one....I don't care which person you pick but don't be scary because you want to be liked.....that's so childish

I don't back down period. Everything I say I'll look you in your face and say, the only thing that's clear is you misinterpreted words and instead of saying my bad I THOUGHT this is what you meant you're TELLING me what I meant which is a clown move to make. The basic qualifications is size. That's what I'm talking about, their size. You can try to make it whatever you want but you can't change I was talking about their size. 

Instead of highlighting all the other stuff you could've just highlighted the one sentence

"With our roster the starting perimeter players has size equivalent   to athletes I faced in mid dle school"

Now it can't get more plain than that. If you didn't comprehend that, it's not my fault. Now from this you will have people come like your stuff. I'll send you a message of their names before they do it to show you how lame it is. It's not because what you said made any sense though. This post here that you wrote is pitiful.

Now as far as basketball I'll say he's a good shooter. Great no. He wouldn't start for half of the teams in our league no he's not close to being an all time great. He's not better than the last few shooting guards we've had. If you want to pretend this system didn't make him go ahead and do that. 

And yes I said bring him off the bench for strategy, you said doughty should be starting. You've said quite a few things actually....but it's your opinion. But please don't ever try to act like I don't stand by what I say.....you just look in the mirror and focus on yourself

I'm really liking where Brown's game is right now. He is playing very efficiently on offense and has great intensity on Defense. Currently our best offensive and defensive player.  He is peaking at the right time. If he can avoid any of those crazy slumps he occasionally gets then we'll be an extremely dangerous team from here on out. If we could get some of the higher rated guys to play as hard and smart as Brown is playing we'd be that final 4 type team we were all hoping to see. 

Hopefully we can just call it even when scores 20 and his guy scores 20.... It would really have a scoring guard that could dribble though, certainly would help Harper. That would be a great assists. I think he averages one or two of those. But he probably averages around 2 turnovers two so I guess it's no harm no foul 🙍

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Hopefully we can just call it even when scores 20 and his guy scores 20.... It would really have a scoring guard that could dribble though, certainly would help Harper. That would be a great assists. I think he averages one or two of those. But he probably averages around 2 turnovers two so I guess it's no harm no foul 🙍

I thought his struggles were due to being slow?

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

I thought his struggles were due to being slow?

No you took that and ran with it. You didn't realize it though. I said if he was abnormally quick he would be able to score on a couple of drives easy every game. Even with a weak handle because super quick guys can get by with just a couple of dribbles, Brown even more so because all he does is shoot 3's. But you didn't understand, it's like a video game to you, can't dribble well means you can't score off the drive because can't dribble well means you can't move at all to you

Just now, gravejd said:

Can't shoot, Can't pass, can't defend....this Bruce Pearl system is unbelievable to turn such a player into all SEC caliber 🤣

He can do all the things just not at a high level but the antithesis to this I could say he's the all time 3 point shooter, best defender, and even you can't make up he doesn't handle the ball well he's certainly on the NBA radar!

But like I said it's a video game to you all so if you say something it's extreme one way or the other. Either he's great or he's trash....

And you think Chris lofton being up there as well don't have anything to do with Bruce??? 😂😂😂

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No you took that and ran with it. You didn't realize it though. I said if he was abnormally quick he would be able to score on a couple of drives easy every game. Even with a weak handle because super quick guys can get by with just a couple of dribbles, Brown even more so because all he does is shoot 3's. But you didn't understand, it's like a video game to you, can't dribble well means you can't score off the drive because can't dribble well means you can't move at all to you

I still don't realize that he is slow. 

You don't realize that great player meets great system and that is why he will be pushing for all SEC honors at the end of the season. 

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It would be nice if BROWN were a better ball handler, and we had to reliable ball handler’s on the floor for most of the game. 

I even recall Mike K. going out of his way to call out Harper and Brown to praise them and called them "winners" after we played Duke. Not bad for 2 middle school players and one who can't shoot, dribble, pass, play defense and is slow 😁

Our guards are the strength of our team. No other team in the sec has 2 guards that can light it up like our two. Unfortunately they can occasionally have off nights (see the last Ole Miss game; as they go the team goes. Our problem is we don't have a prominent big man. Look at the best teams in college and you will usually find a dominant big man who pushes people around an doesn't get pushed. Our big men are tall and athletic, which allows them to block alot of shots, but are not prominent scorers and get rooted out by more physical players on the boards. I feel AW could be that guy; has shown flashes, but is just too soft and injury prone at this time . BP needs to recruit towards fixing this deficiency if we are going to move up from a very good team to an elite team.

Archived