I really don’t think we’re a bad team....

tigerbrotha12

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We're a slasher away from being a great team!

So if we can recruit Jack The Ripper we're golden right?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/22/2019 at 7:27 PM, ArgoEagle said:

So if we can recruit Jack The Ripper we're golden right?

Can he defend the perimeter????

39 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Can he defend the perimeter????

I would say so, but may get multiple technical fouls for having a knife on the court.

Auburn is not really a bad team. Auburn is a "good" team. Not a "very good" team, much less an "excellent" team. Just a "good" team. Which is better than being a "bad" team or "execrable" team. Just a middle of the pack "good" team.

Still, when the 3s are falling and the running game is going, they are a fun team to watch.

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Auburn is not really a bad team. Auburn is a "good" team. Not a "very good" team, much less an "excellent" team. Just a "good" team. Which is better than being a "bad" team or "execrable" team. Just a middle of the pack "good" team.

Still, when the 3s are falling and the running game is going, they are a fun team to watch.

Great post. Spot on. I think this will be around our floor moving forward as a program with Bruce leading the way. We may take some lumps next season due to all the youth but after that I think this program continues to level up in a significant way. Exciting times.

It says a lot that some people are upset that we merely have a good team at AU. 

On 2/21/2019 at 12:02 PM, JwgreDeux said:

He is currently 7th all time in the SEC for 3s made. He needs 36 more to get to second all time. He is currently making 3.6 3s per game on average. At that rate he needs 10 games to get there. Five regular season, one SEC tourney game, and one post-season tourney game are given at the moment (7). We win a couple of tourney games and he may have a shot to do it. He is way to far behind Chris Lofton to reach number 1. 

Anyone who minimizes his shooting is simply wrong, he is a fantastic shooter. Numbers don't lie. 

Just as an update to this, Bryce is now 5th all time in the league for 3s made. He is 7 shy of 4th place and 28 shy of 2nd. He's averaging 3.4 makes a game with 2 regular season games and at least two post season games left. He would need to shoot way above his average to get to second in 4 games, but if we play 6-7 more games he'd have a chance.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Not sure where to put this but all eyes need to see it

Wow, that is ugly to look at. Let's revisit this in 10 years and hopefully not be at the bottom of that list. 

Had a chance to look at a few things today and made a few observations: 

• Of our 9 losses: 
    • 7 are by single digits
    • 5 are by two possession or less
    • 7 are on the road or neutral sites
    • in 6 of our losses the margin of loss was smaller than the margin of made free throws by the opposing team (example: We lost at Ole Miss by 15 pts and they made 18 more free throws than we did), in the other three we shot awful percentages from the floor. 
    • in 5 of our losses we had more shot attempts than the opposing team, but shot bad percentages from the floor or from 3. In two of the other losses we had fewer attempts due to large amounts of turnovers (in all three Harper had at least 5 TOs), and we lost one shoot out where both teams played extremely well (the first UK loss).
  • We have been able to overcome total rebounding deficits because we often still win the offensive rebounding battle and turnover battle leading to extra shot attempts. 
  • We lead the nation in opponents turnovers per possession (24.6%) and turnovers per play (21.8). This is product of forcing teams to play fast and our way of overcoming our size disadvantage rebounding. 
    • In 8 of our 9 losses we failed to get our opponents above 21% in this statistic. Our loss to NC State was the exception, we turned them over at a 27% rate, but they turned us over at a 31% rate. 
    • In the 8 games we have forced 13 or fewer turnovers, we are 1-7 with win coming in OT vs UAB. 

From looking at this I think biggest ingredient for an AU loss is for opponents to limit their turnovers. This limits our possessions, exploits our rebounding inadequacies, and gets us out of our comfortable pace of play and into more out of rhythm possessions (i.e. we turn it over and/or shoot poor percentages). No other single statistic correlates to an AU loss like opponents turnovers. 

7 hours ago, Tiger said:

Not sure where to put this but all eyes need to see it

Wow!  I knew AU BB wasn’t very good most of the time, but had no idea we were dead last in 20 win seasons.

37 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Wow!  I knew AU BB wasn’t very good most of the time, but had no idea we were dead last in 20 win seasons.

Reason I will never complaint about BP.........hope he stays until he retires....which I pray is a long long time

On 3/4/2019 at 4:02 PM, JwgreDeux said:

Had a chance to look at a few things today and made a few observations: 

• Of our 9 losses: 
    • 7 are by single digits
    • 5 are by two possession or less
    • 7 are on the road or neutral sites
    • in 6 of our losses the margin of loss was smaller than the margin of made free throws by the opposing team (example: We lost at Ole Miss by 15 pts and they made 18 more free throws than we did), in the other three we shot awful percentages from the floor. 
    • in 5 of our losses we had more shot attempts than the opposing team, but shot bad percentages from the floor or from 3. In two of the other losses we had fewer attempts due to large amounts of turnovers (in all three Harper had at least 5 TOs), and we lost one shoot out where both teams played extremely well (the first UK loss).
  • We have been able to overcome total rebounding deficits because we often still win the offensive rebounding battle and turnover battle leading to extra shot attempts. 
  • We lead the nation in opponents turnovers per possession (24.6%) and turnovers per play (21.8). This is product of forcing teams to play fast and our way of overcoming our size disadvantage rebounding. 
    • In 8 of our 9 losses we failed to get our opponents above 21% in this statistic. Our loss to NC State was the exception, we turned them over at a 27% rate, but they turned us over at a 31% rate. 
    • In the 8 games we have forced 13 or fewer turnovers, we are 1-7 with win coming in OT vs UAB. 

From looking at this I think biggest ingredient for an AU loss is for opponents to limit their turnovers. This limits our possessions, exploits our rebounding inadequacies, and gets us out of our comfortable pace of play and into more out of rhythm possessions (i.e. we turn it over and/or shoot poor percentages). No other single statistic correlates to an AU loss like opponents turnovers. 

By the way, last night's game fell right in line with this pattern. We forced UAT into a 28% turnover rate, 19 total, and we limited ours to 12. Even though we shot a bad percentage, this turnover rate allowed us to get 11 more attempts at field goals and getting 2 more makes that UAT even at a worse percentage.

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

By the way, last night's game fell right in line with this pattern. We forced UAT into a 28% turnover rate, 19 total, and we limited ours to 12. Even though we shot a bad percentage, this turnover rate allowed us to get 11 more attempts at field goals and getting 2 more makes that UAT even at a worse percentage.

additionally, we beat them on the offensive glass

Took my first look at UT today, other than catching some portions of their games over the course of the season, and they present some particular problems.

• UT doesn't turn the ball over much, they are 3rd in the country in assits/turnover margin, only 11 turnovers a game at a very low 13.7% per play.
  • UT isn't a great rebounding team, and they give up 10 offensive rebounds per game
  • They only force 13 turnovers a game and at a low percentage of 16.3% per play
  • They score a lot at 82 per game (9th in the country)
  • one of the best passing teams with 18 assists per game (4th in the country)
  • Their losses correlate most with
    • 11 or fewer assists,
    • 22+ 3pt attempts, 
    • 25 ish personal fouls
    • 83+ points allowed

Needless to say they look phenomenal on the stat sheets.

Archived