Why Bo could be the right QB

WFE12

The five-star freshman has the skills to run a truly modern spread offense.

Ian Boyd

The Gus Malzahn era at Auburn has generally been defined by two features: transfer quarterbacks and a smashmouth run game from spread formations.

His 2010 offense, led by Florida/JUCO transfer Cam Newton, brought Auburn a title. His 2013 offense, featuring Georgia transfer Nick Marshall, nearly brought another. In 2017, Jarrett Stidham transferred from Baylor with a pocket passing skill set, with the offense eventually fizzling due to the lack of an effective run game.

Now in 2019, Auburn adds a five-star QB, rated the country’s No. 1 dual-threat in the 2019 class.

But this time, the new hope at QB isn’t a transfer.

That QB is Bo Nix, son of ‘90s Auburn QB Patrick Nix and his QB the last two years at Pinson Valley HS, where the elder Nix is head coach. The father-son tandem won back-to-back Alabama state championships immediately upon their arrival. Now Nix is enrolled for winter conditioning and spring football with a chance to start as a true freshman.

Auburn has had pretty good luck with players named Bo, but they’ll face an interesting opportunity as they determine whether to hand the keys to a freshman.

Nix profiles as a versatile spread QB.

He measured in at 6’2, 204 at a SPARQ combine and ran a 4.71 40 and 4.37 shuttle, jumped 32 inches in the vertical, and threw the power toss 36.5 feet. At the same age, the 6’1 Tua Tagovailoa had a 4.9 40, 4.3 shuttle, a 33.2-inch vertical, and a 38.5 power toss, just to name an athlete with pretty comparable measurables.

In high school, Nix tended to use his quicks for evading pressure and buying time to uncork deep throws. His team also mixed in some QB run game and combined both skills with the triple option:

Bo_Nix_triple_option.gif

That’s a zone read, with a bubble screen replacing the traditional pitch option. The nickel chases the bubble, the DE doesn’t contain Nix, and there’s no one in the alley to stop Nix from getting up to speed.

For all of Nix’s athleticism, the Pinson Valley offense was very much a pass-first spread that had Bo throwing for 3,795 yards on the year with 44 TDs, along with just 290 rushing yards but seven rushing scores.

Consequently, Nix’s path to a title in Alabama was wildly different from the Malzahn flavor of spread offense.

Nix faced one of his toughest challenges against cross-town rival Clay-Chalkville High, whom they faced in the regular season (winning 28-21) and in the semifinals (winning 28-20).

Clay-Chalkville had a handful of Division I prospects, most notably Alabama signee D.J. Dale, a 6’3, 323-pound blue chip DT. They often tried to entice Nix’s squad toward running into a five-man box led by Dale.

Clay-Chalkville is in a conservative defense here, with seven defensive backs sharing the field with their middle linebacker and three down linemen. By flooding the field with DBs, they could push the game back to the trenches, where Dale (No. 5, seen here destroying the play) could dominate.

Malzahn’s normal tactic for making the most of a 200-pound signal-caller who can run a 4.7 40 would be to mix in more option or QB run game. If you make the QB a runner, you can guarantee a plus-one advantage in the run game. If the opponent is playing an ultra-small and conservative defense like Clay-Chalkville is here, then you can almost get a plus-two, with as many as six blockers for only five defenders in the box.

But the Pinson Valley OL just wasn’t up for trying to grind out a win against Dale, and that would have wasted their greatest strength: Nix’s arm and a deep collection of skill athletes on the perimeter.

So after three and a half unsuccessful drives, head coach/papa Nix pushed QB/son Nix in the opposite direction:

They went empty-backfield and stayed there, almost exclusively. With five receivers spread across the field, they could move the focal points back to the perimeter and away from Dale.

Nix cycled through three main plays that aimed to isolate his star receivers, most notably the 5’7 junior slot Keyonteze Johnson, who caught 14 balls in this game for 208 yards and a score — after taking a huge shot back when Pinson Valley was trying to work the run and screen game.

From these five-wide sets, Pinson Valley could basically run isolations for Johnson, running get-open option routes against a dime safety while the other four receivers ran what amounted to clear-out routes:

Nix_hits_Johnson_on_iso.gif

Clay-Chalkville is playing match coverage underneath with two defenders over the top and rushing four. They can’t get much more help for coverage defenders unless they rush only three. Nix is getting the ball out quickly and has wheels of his own, so the pass rush is really up against it.

Pinson Valley also ran a ton of wheel routes, with the WRs crossing paths and creating rubs or picks on the underneath defenders and then Nix reading the deep safety to know whether to throw the wheel or the dig.

Nix_throws_the_dig.gif

Whoever didn’t get safety help was basically getting isolated, and Nix was firing dimes to guys who could move around in multiple alignments. This is the logical end game of spread football, flooding the field with capable receivers and running the offense through an athletic, strong-armed passer who can deliver quickly. It’s essentially the Pat Mahomes offense.

Pinson Valley ran for only 85 yards, a fair chunk on the Nix scramble, while Clay-Chalkville ran for 203. But throwing to skill players in one-on-one matchups is a more efficient way to score, and despite completing only 24 of 51 passes for 324 yards (6.3 ypa), Nix threw four touchdowns to zero interceptions.

Now Auburn has a cutting-edge talent and a chance to embrace innovation.

Pinson Valley’s struggle against Clay-Chalkville was essentially every SEC team’s struggle against Alabama. How do you defeat a team that has the strongest guys in the trenches?

Auburn legacies Patrick and Bo Nix did it by moving the battle to the perimeter, where Clay-Chalkville’s strength in the trenches didn’t matter. Clay-Chalkville tried to anticipate that by going small, but the Nix family doubled down on the spread by turning to an empty set.

Unless Newton has any eligibility left, the obvious prescription for Auburn is to employ the same strategy as Pinson Valley (and similar to what Clemson did against Bama😞 get as many good skill players on the field as possible and set up Nix to make quick reads with his strong and precise arm.

Stidham pushed them further in that direction, becoming the first Auburn passer of the 21st century to throw for 3,000 yards. But Stidham still did most of his work throwing off the threat of their downhill run game, while Nix could operate a pass-first system.

Trying to out-muscle Nick Saban’s Tide in the trenches, even with a smashmouth spread run game, is usually a fool’s errand. While Nix offers some size and athleticism to boost Malzahn’s traditional spread-to-run offense, he could offer so much more executing a spread passing attack. This could also help an Auburn offensive line that has struggled trying to run over the deadly fronts they face in the SEC West.

Auburn has happened upon the right star talent to take them in a new direction at the right time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bo IS THAT DUDE. STUD. Future Star. But Gus is not the coach to get him there. He has no clue wtf to do with pocket passers. His ass still cannot figure out to win with a pocket passer in the SEC. I thought 2017 was going to be the start of a new era. NOOOOOOOPE.  2018 was Right back to looking like a typically inept offense under Gus when he has a pocket passer. Back to the drawing board for Gus. I have no faith that he can win with a pass first offense in the SEC with a pocket passer.

re.gif

I’m saying it today! Gus will go full on pass happy with BNix and our great receiver Corp, but if Gatewood wins the job it’ll stay the same.

Story is as much a nod to Patrick as to Bo. Too bad about those hiring rules. I like to qb Bo better now as a true freshman, than later as an upperclassman, ironically.

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Story is as much a nod to Patrick as to Bo. Too bad about those hiring rules. I like to qb Bo better now as a true freshman, than later as an upperclassman, ironically.

Pat could be hired as a on the field role and still be his coach. He just cannot be hired as a support staffer.

Gus is better off going with Joey this year. For one, BO needs a rs year big time, he’s not a transcendent talent like a Trevor Lawrence. Bo has all the tools, but I think he needs system time, I think he would struggle if put in day 1. Id happily eat crow, but just my opinion

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Surely Gus has to have that 2009 playbook lyin' around somewhere.

When Gus finds the magical playbook, he will be like coach Klein 

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Surely Gus has to have that 2009 playbook lyin' around somewhere.

2009 is the most overrated year in Auburn football history that people keep thinking we were some offensive juggernauts. Chris Todd was awful against sec competition. He stacked up numbers in the non conference. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

2009 is the most overrated year in Auburn football history that people keep thinking we were some offensive juggernauts. Chris Todd was awful against sec competition. He stacked up numbers in the non conference. 

The thing about 09 tho, the offense was open. We ran speed option with Chris Todd for gods sake, the offense now is 5 plays at best.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

The thing about 09 tho, the offense was open. We ran speed option with Chris Todd for gods sake, the offense now is 5 plays at best.

I am in total apathy mode right now. A Gus Malzahn Auburn will do that to you. I am just ready for a true passing guru to be Bo's Head Coach. Gonna be a loooooooooooong football season bro. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I am in total apathy mode right now. A Gus Malzahn Auburn will do that to you. I am just ready for a true passing guru to be Bo's Head Coach. Gonna be a loooooooooooong football season bro. 

The thing is, if we ran the 09 style offense, I’d think we’d get more wins vs what Gus wants to do these days 

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

The thing is, if we ran the 09 style offense, I’d think we’d get more wins vs what Gus wants to do these days 

The thing is if Gus knew how to correct the problems he himself created he would of done it a long time ago. Dude is never going to change. People need to accept it. He is his own worst enemy. Me and @McLoofus talk about it ad naseum. Dude could be a great CEO head coach. All the best stuff he does well is the characteristics of a awesome CEO head coach. Unfortunately he sees himself as a Lincoln Riley or a Sean McVay offensive guru when he is just not anywhere close to that.

The thing is if Gus knew how to correct the problems he himself created he would of done it a long time ago. Dude is never going to change. People need to accept it. He is his own worst enemy. Me and @McLoofus talk about it ad naseum. Dude could be a great CEO head coach. All the best stuff he does well is the characteristics of a awesome CEO head coach. Unfortunately he sees himself as a Lincoln Riley or a Sean McVay offensive guru when he is just not anywhere close to that.

Riley could take bo as a true Fr and make him a AA. Gus, if he started him, could possibly ruin his entire career 

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nonsense. He set the single season Pass TD record with CHRIS. FREAKING. TODD. Darvin was 3 yards shy of 1000. Tommy freakin Trott was our starting tight end, but yet we still averaged 31 points a game. Had Bama and UGA on the ropes too but let 'em off the hook.

35 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Nonsense. He set the single season Pass TD record with CHRIS. FREAKING. TODD. Darvin was 3 yards shy of 1000. Tommy freakin Trott was our starting tight end, but yet we still averaged 31 points a game. Had Bama and UGA on the ropes too but let 'em off the hook.

First off it says more about the putrid state of our passing stats history that the freaking record for TDs before 09 was only 20 tds in a season. TWENTY!!!!!!! THAT IS FREAKING TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! Abysmal and drives me crazy!!! We are one of the worst passing teams statistically in sec history. Ok lets review how overrated 09 offense and Chris Todd was. So for the season he had 2,612 passing yards with 22 tds and 6 ints. This is how he did vs the SEC. 1,295 passing yards a absolutely embarrassing 6 tds and 5 of his 6 interceptions came in sec play. So yah he is massively overrated and I hate how 2009 is a reference point of this "magical" Gus potion of offense Gus reigned down that year. 

29 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Riley could take bo as a true Fr and make him a AA. Gus, if he started him, could possibly ruin his entire career 

This is so true and that is why we want gus NOWHERE NEAR Bo this season. SMH.

30 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

First off it says more about the putrid state of our passing stats history that the freaking record for TDs before 09 was only 20 tds in a season. TWENTY!!!!!!! THAT IS FREAKING TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! Abysmal and drives me crazy!!! We are one of the worst passing teams statistically in sec history. Ok lets review how overrated 09 offense and Chris Todd was. So for the season he had 2,612 passing yards with 22 tds and 6 ints. This is how he did vs the SEC. 1,295 passing yards a absolutely embarrassing 6 tds and 5 of his 6 interceptions came in sec play. So yah he is massively overrated and I hate how 2009 is a reference point of this "magical" Gus potion of offense Gus reigned down that year. 

Your numbers are wrong. He had 9 TDs in conference play. Also, why the weird barometer? You don't count the 4 TDs against 9-win West Virginia? Arguably Todd's best game.

Keep in mind, this offense was also run-first with Tate at HB, and Tubberville recruited personnel. The point in highlighting '09 is to show that if Malzahn could milk 22 TDs out of Chris Todd and a bare bones receiving corp, what could he do with what we have now? 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Your numbers are wrong. He had 9 TDs in conference play. Also, why the weird barometer? You don't count the 4 TDs against 9-win West Virginia? Arguably Todd's best game.

Keep in mind, this offense was also run-first with Tate at HB, and Tubberville recruited personnel. The point in highlighting '09 is to show that if Malzahn could milk 22 TDs out of Chris Todd and a bare bones receiving corp, what could he do with what we have now? 

I clearly said SEC play. That is where we measure ourselves and how good we are each year. Why would I count West Virginia? The barometer Was sec play. Why are you trying to bring in the non conference where he got 16 tds to only 6 tds in non conference play? He got 16 touchdowns in the 5 non conference games he had that season. He only had 6 touchdowns in the 8 SEC games. And No I am not wrong. It is 6. 0 vs miss st. 1 vs Rocky top. 0 vs arky. 0 vs kentucky. 0 vs LSU. 1 vs Ole Miss. 2 each vs Georgia and Bama.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Gus is better off going with Joey this year. For one, BO needs a rs year big time, he’s not a transcendent talent like a Trevor Lawrence. Bo has all the tools, but I think he needs system time, I think he would struggle if put in day 1. Id happily eat crow, but just my opinion

I agree that he would struggle but what does it matter at this point? I haven't seen anything from the other qb's that suggest that they would be much better than a freshman Bo Nix and that's the sad truth especially on malik's part. Whoever we go with will struggle anyway be it because of minimal experience or just the talent not being there. I say throw em out there.

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I agree that he would struggle but what does it matter at this point? I haven't seen anything from the other qb's that suggest that they would be much better than a freshman Bo Nix and that's the sad truth especially on malik's part. Whoever we go with will struggle anyway be it because of minimal experience or just the talent not being there. I say throw em out there.

Me and Mav do not want Gus to curse Bo and ruin him. That is why. Wait till Gus is gone. 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

And this is why I worry about Bo and say that this offseason can take it's sweet time.

Me and Mav do not want Gus to curse Bo and ruin him. That is why. Wait till Gus is gone. 

He will never leave...The nightmare will never end.

IMG_1715.GIF

Just now, WFE12 said:

He will never leave...The nightmare will never end.

IMG_1715.GIF

Surely after 6 out of 7 years of at least 4 losses (which 2019 will clearly be another one of these) they will make a change. BUT I have to admit You may be right. That is the scariest thing of all is the Bus ride from hell back for a Eighth season............

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I clearly said SEC play. That is where we measure ourselves and how good we are each year. Why would I count West Virginia? The barometer Was sec play. Why are you trying to bring in the non conference where he got 16 tds to only 6 tds in sec play? He got 16 touchdowns in the 5 non conference games he had that season. He only had 6 touchdowns in the 8 SEC games. And No I am not wrong. It is 6. 0 vs miss st. 1 vs Rocky top. 0 vs arky. 0 vs kentucky. 0 vs LSU. 1 vs Ole Miss. 2 each vs Georgia and Bama.

What an arbitrary-ass way to look at that year. Following a 5-7 season and a full staff turnover, Gus takes a bare cupboard I-form roster and a busted-arm QB and manages to average 31 points a game and a school record year through the air. But nah. Nothin' special. The only true barometer is conference play TD-INT ratio.

Don't forget that our defense was SOOOO bad back then. We were in dogfights nearly every game. Malzahn deserves credit for carrying that group.  

I get your argument. But it's contextually not very good.

Archived