Greg Brown working on deal to leave AU

Maverick.AU

Former Auburn assistant coach Greg Brown was officially introduced at his new school on Thursday.

Purdue announced the hiring of Brown, who spent the last two seasons on Gus Malzahn’s staff, as the Boilermakers’ new cornerbacks coach, making official a move that was expected since Friday. Brown tweeted out a farewell to his Auburn players on Tuesday, and on Wednesday the Tigers announced the hiring of defensive assistant Wes McGriff -- who previously served on Malzahn’s staff in 2016 before leaving to be the defensive coordinator at Ole Miss and being replaced by Brown on the Plains.

“We’re excited to have Greg join us,” Purdue coach Jeff Brohm said in a release. “He is a veteran coach with nearly 40 years of experience at both the collegiate and professional levels of football. Greg will be a great addition to our staff.”

Brown, who has mentored three Thorpe Award winners during his long, nomadic career, spent the last two years as Auburn’s secondary coach, though he spent the 2018 season focusing on safeties while Marcus Woodson primarily worked with the cornerbacks. Brown replaces Derrick Jackson, who left Purdue to become the defensive coordinator at Northern Illinois, on Brohm’s staff.

Brown arrived at Auburn in January 2017 on a two-year deal that expired three weeks ago on Jan. 31, with $400,000 in total annual compensation. It is unclear if the contract was extended at any time before it expired. Jackson, earned $320,000 last season as an assistant at Purdue, according to the USA Today assistant coaches salary database.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/02/purdue-officially-hires-former-auburn-assistant-greg-brown.html

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I would like to be the first to say,  “told you so” in reference to his ability to recruit and or develop.  

He is too much of a journeyman to prove himself otherwise.   

No one knows for sure at this point...I know his father recently passed, it might be plausible it has nothing to do with football....

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

No one knows for sure at this point...I know his father recently passed, it might be plausible it has nothing to do with football....

This. Nobody knows exactly what's going on but everything doesn't revolve around football 

He literally cannot stay more than 2 years anywhere.  Good luck, Goob! Thank you for your contribution to Auburn. 

Give it one last roll at Toomer's.

EagerNextAnhinga-max-1mb.gif

I have been under-impressed with our DB play of late.  Not sure if that's talent or coaching. They play WAAAAY off the line and don't look for the ball.  LSWHO & UTK games might have ended differently if our DB's had stepped up....

7 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

I have been under-impressed with our DB play of late.  Not sure if that's talent or coaching. They play WAAAAY off the line and don't look for the ball.  LSWHO & UTK games might have ended differently if our DB's had stepped up....

Well let me assure you that you will like the DB play even less come next year. Folks we have lost more coaches in the last few months than we would lose during a HC change. You can keep trying to convince yourselves it’s all part of the plan but it’s not. Things are going south really fast down on the plains. You might want to batten the hatches and hang on.

13 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

Well Steele went all out a blitz a few times..when he probably should not have...jmo 

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Well let me assure you that you will like the DB play even less come next year. Folks we have lost more coaches in the last few months than we would lose during a HC change. You can keep trying to convince yourselves it’s all part of the plan but it’s not. Things are going south really fast down on the plains. You might want to batten the hatches and hang on.

So Chip left became a HC might have happened from AU even if he stayed..Horton left for a lateral move (thank god we needed an upgrade) and now Brown (even though at this point no one knows why) ....did I miss anyone else of substance who left?.....why you pushing the panic button?

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don’t think this is something to panic about...  Brown does this every two years.  It’s just who he is.  Gets ancy after a while.  We all wanted a new RB coach so Gus did the right thing.  You ask anyone connected and they all are impressed with Caddy and Dilly.  We will be fine.  

Four different stops in five years I believe.   This is more about Brown than Gus or AU.  

Not trashing him,  but we signed up for this.  He’s a journey man,  plain and simple.  

He puts on his resume Carlton Davis who was already a big talent,  and most recently All-SEC Dean which also was a high profile talent.  He did not “develop” either,  he coached them during their success and maintain their trajectory. 

25 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Jerraud Powers hired as his replacement in 3....2....1.....

You laugh but the honey badger just tweeted this to Brandon.

40 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

38 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

This. Nobody knows exactly what's going on but everything doesn't revolve around football 

Not trashing him and I hope all is well for his reasoning.   Without knowing the why’s,   It’s par for the course with him.  No biggie. 

3 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Honestly, what is the reason for him leaving AU for Purdue?

Well, why did he go to Missouri?  Maybe he likes the challenge.  He did face a challenge of sorts when he got here.

I do think he left our program better than he found it, and I wish him nothing but the best!

6 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Not trashing him and I hope all is well for his reasoning.   Without knowing the why’s,   It’s par for the course with him.  No biggie. 

This I can agree with. 

37 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

And the dump across the state has lost more coaches than we have without a coaching change. What is your point? Coaches come and go all the time, not always because something else is going on behind the scenes. People make it what they want to fit their agenda. We will still field a team with coaches so who cares. 

COME HOME CRIME DAWG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived