Greg Brown working on deal to leave AU

Maverick.AU

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Folks we have lost more coaches in the last few months than we would lose during a HC change. 

This is nonsense. When a coaching change is made, most of the time, the entire staff is replaced... offense and defense... Sometimes, there are a few lucky ones that are held onto, but for the majority of the time the entire staff is replaced.

We have lost 3 coaches this off season. One is now a HC, by way of another school, but a HC nonetheless. One was replaced that everyone paying attention to the program wanted changed. And one is a journeyman who is now at his 5th job in 6 seasons.

I'm with you about the rest, but that part is nonsense. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, bigbird said:

McGriff to AU has been trying to happen for a while. He is who I'd expect back

But is he who you want back?

If this is going to happen with McGriff I would expect it to be locked down in a very short time frame. If it drags, he won't be coming here. 

6 hours ago, WFE12 said:

But is he who you want back?

He would be a good one to have back. Recruiting-wise, he is elite. To me our DBs played better under Brown. It will be interesting to see which direction we go. Pogue is another possibility.

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Looking over his job history, I can't see why anyone was surprised by this move. 

I for one, will be happy to get the Crime Dog back on staff. However looking at things realistically, he will probably only be around for a couple of seasons at the most before he would get another DC job...

Did you see his defense at Ole Piss?  The “land sharks” were like going against air.  That was probably his one shot at being a DC.  

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Crime Dawg and Woodson is a NASTY combo on the trail. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. 

Steele..Garner..Woodson..TWill and Mcgriff. That's some serious men hitting the recruiting trail

12 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

My husband read that McGriff was going to FSU.  Don’t know if that is true. Anyone know anything?

He was hired at FSU in early January

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He was hired at FSU in early January

So wonder how anyone dreamed up the idea he might come to AU....unless maybe FSU is not looking so good now?  

So tell us about Corey Raymond.... why would he be interested?  Was at LSU...is he another guy who moves every couple years?  

10 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Cue the folks..." Ah he never liked Auburn, he wasn't a good coach anyway.. he sucked." Yadadada. 

I don’t think anyone has said that...  For the most part everyone is wishing him well and excited if we can get McGriff to be the successor.  

I thought our DB's played well under Brown.   The biggest issue that they had, was somehow a mediocre QB would be able to throw darts against us when we had perfect coverage.

If this is Steele's hire, I have high expectations.  McGriff would not fall under that.

15 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Honestly, what is the reason for him leaving AU for Purdue?

More like AU leaving him. This and the Horton things has been in the works for some weeks now

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So wonder how anyone dreamed up the idea he might come to AU....unless maybe FSU is not looking so good now?  

So tell us about Corey Raymond.... why would he be interested?  Was at LSU...is he another guy who moves every couple years?  

He wouldn't be interested. Therefore my dream pick

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

@bigbird   How many times have you sent Steele your resume in the last 24 hours??!!

his mailbox keeps telling me that it's full.

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

Did you see his defense at Ole Piss?  The “land sharks” were like going against air.  That was probably his one shot at being a DC.  

Yeah, nothing better than being under NCAA sanctions to determine ones ability to do a job. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

My dream pick would be Corey Raymond

He would likely be everyone's dream pick. But UGA tried to hire him this off season. If UGA and the current direction of their program couldn't poach him, we certainly wouldn't be able to get him 

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah, nothing better than being under NCAA sanctions to determine ones ability to do a job. 

remember how Hand got ripped about the job he did at Penn State?  Same thing, it is how some people are.

43 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He wouldn't be interested. Therefore my dream pick

Saw his name mentioned with Ohio State? ...and others.....seems to be in the news a bit...

When he came in I remember a lot of people saying goober couldn't recruit.. Last couple of DB classes were real good under Brown. I thought he did a good job with our DB's but not surprised he is leaving with his track record but I will be sorry to see him leave.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I thought our DB's played well under Brown.   The biggest issue that they had, was somehow a mediocre QB would be able to throw darts against us when we had perfect coverage.

If this is Steele's hire, I have high expectations.  McGriff would not fall under that.

Prepare to be underwhelmed with you expectations. 

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

How would McGriff not be a great hire? It would mean the entire D Staff would be great recruiters.

Archived