Men vs. Vanderbilt

WarTiger

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure what his options are …… Our four big guys....Spencer, Amac, DP and AW did almost nothing yesterday against the worst team in the league....total of 50 playing  minutes and only ONE offensive rebound for them.  .   

Clearly Wiley isn't 100%. He should play either Dunbar or DP at 3. It literally couldn't hurt because Samir doesn't give you anything. Samir is a guard

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Clearly Wiley isn't 100%. He should play either Dunbar or DP at 3. It literally couldn't hurt because Samir doesn't give you anything. Samir is a guard

Guess that is right but AW is not 100%, DP does not look like he is 100% and Amac has become a wing or something and is rarely inside...and bless his heart, Spencer is the worst shooter on the team.     Eight offensive rebounds again yesterday  ☹️    somebody has to do something inside... 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I think Samir plays bc Pearl sees what he brings to the team, that isn't in the box score. I heard many post game interviews where Pearl has liked his play on the floor for his D, his ability to do the little things. 

If Dunbar would play consistently like he did against Vandy, then I think Pearl would use him the most, as he did against Vandy, but Dunbar doesn't play like that all the time or most of the time. Also, unfortunately, Pearl mentioned yesterday Samir didn't play much bc he was banged up, and even didn't practice much after Wednesday's game. 

Hopefully Dunbar, who i Like bc he is stronger and taller for the 3, will continue to be that guy, then Pearl won't feel he has to play Samir. Dunbar sometimes also brings that spark and energy I like. But sometimes that energy turns into a street brawl. lol. 

And Purifoy? Did you see his play yesterday against the worst team in the SEC? terrible. 1-4 w/ no rebounds, and even his 2 pts looked like he fell into getting it to go in. Just didn't look good. He still can contribute, but who knows when...

6 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

let Danjel get all of Horace’s minutes that he was getting at the 4

No way in hell you let Horace sit on the bench. He might not be the most athletically gifted player on the team but that man is all heart and the team feeds off of his energy when he's on the court. I'm sorry but I haven't seen Purifoy do anything good enough to take away Spencer's minutes.

I wasn't able to watch the game live but I did watch it after I got off of work. I was very happy to see Dunbar start in the second half over Doughty. Not sure if it was an injury or w/e but I hope that Dunbar gets the start next game. Doughty just doesn't have it in him to be a starter and Dunbar brings a better energy than him.

I’m going with Dunbar as much as he can go. Danjel needs to get more minutes too. We are maybe the worst I’ve ever seen at moving without the ball. 

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I think Samir plays bc Pearl sees what he brings to the team, that isn't in the box score. I heard many post game interviews where Pearl has liked his play on the floor for his D, his ability to do the little things. 

If Dunbar would play consistently like he did against Vandy, then I think Pearl would use him the most, as he did against Vandy, but Dunbar doesn't play like that all the time or most of the time. Also, unfortunately, Pearl mentioned yesterday Samir didn't play much bc he was banged up, and even didn't practice much after Wednesday's game. 

Hopefully Dunbar, who i Like bc he is stronger and taller for the 3, will continue to be that guy, then Pearl won't feel he has to play Samir. Dunbar sometimes also brings that spark and energy I like. But sometimes that energy turns into a street brawl. lol. 

And Purifoy? Did you see his play yesterday against the worst team in the SEC? terrible. 1-4 w/ no rebounds, and even his 2 pts looked like he fell into getting it to go in. Just didn't look good. He still can contribute, but who knows when...

I feel I can identify the things that's not in the box score pretty good and I don't see hardly anything, he isn't anything special on defense. 

And yes I saw DP. Did you see samir? Because as bad as he played it was still better than samir with fewer minutes. It's been that way for the last few games. 

The things you say about Dunbar are the things I told people when the season first started before he picked up quite a few fans, so I agree. But the things they both bring to the offense is finishing ability, more so Dunbar. It's actually very helpful to have guys that can play above the rim in up tempo defenses so you can get easy points which will also ignite the team and crowd for home games, quiet the crowd on away. On defense size can help on defense especially a zone. This pressure defense isn't working for us this year, the team doesn't have any excellent defenders besides chumma. We're ok enough to stay in front of people for around a half but we're not harassing people that have 2-3 good ball handlers

25 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

No way in hell you let Horace sit on the bench. He might not be the most athletically gifted player on the team but that man is all heart and the team feeds off of his energy when he's on the court. I'm sorry but I haven't seen Purifoy do anything good enough to take away Spencer's minutes.

DP doesn't need to play Spencer position.....

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

DP doesn't need to play Spencer position.....

Must have misread what Gene said. Thought he meant Taking all of Spencer’s minutes. 

21 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Must have misread what Gene said. Thought he meant Taking all of Spencer’s minutes. 

Oh you are replying to him specifically.....my bad, no you probably didn't misread it was probably me, him saying DP battling Spencer for minutes sounds about right though.....that means it probably doesn't happen. My apologies.

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Read the whole post. I don’t want him on the bench. I want him starting/getting more of Mac’s minutes at the 5. Horace playing the 4 is a total bust and stalls the offense 

2 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Read the whole post. I don’t want him on the bench. I want him starting/getting more of Mac’s minutes at the 5. Horace playing the 4 is a total bust and stalls the offense 

I did read the whole post. Had no idea that “Ho Daddy” was Horace. I don't think him playing the 4 is a "bust" though. I would love to see a bigger lineup playing at times with Wiley at the 5, Spencer at the 4, and Dunbar at the 3. Having Spencer and Dunbar (two of the most hustle guys) in could lead to a lot of second blocks, second chance points.

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

I keep repeating the same thing, wishing the same thing, but I really cant understand any reason to put Samir as a starter, especially when you need someone who can create his own shot for the second unit. I think BP is just going against himself at this point 

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I keep repeating the same thing, wishing the same thing, but I really cant understand any reason to put Samir as a starter, especially when you need someone who can create his own shot for the second unit. I think BP is just going against himself at this point 

Does anyone else think Jared Harper is healthy? I don't think Jared has been healthy for weeks now. 

Harper plays too many minutes and on top of that is dealing with a sprained ankle. Not a great combination of things

When he jacked up that contested 3 with three minutes left vs vandy up about 5 points , early in the shot clock, I thought he might be mentally fatigued. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

When he jacked up that contested 3 with three minutes left vs vandy up about 5 points , early in the shot clock, I thought he might be mentally fatigued. 

might have been true...caused by watching most of his inside guys putting up bricks from 5 feet away.     JMO but he is a major competitor and likely has felt the need to make up for all the offensive shortcomings of the team. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

might have been true...caused by watching most of his inside guys putting up bricks from 5 feet away.     JMO but he is a major competitor and likely has felt the need to make up for all the offensive shortcomings of the team. 

It didn’t cost the game but had me wondering what was going on in his head. I don’t get to see all games and rarely see the whole game when I do. But I never thought of him as doing anything that .... can’t find the word. I really thought we would lose at that point. 

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

It didn’t cost the game but had me wondering what was going on in his head. I don’t get to see all games and rarely see the whole game when I do. But I never thought of him as doing anything that .... can’t find the word. I really thought we would lose at that point. 

If I recall correctly he put up something like that near the end of the OM game too.    I don't see any bad intentions on his part.....just feeling the need to score when across the board our team is not shooting that well.   JMO but lately if someone were to let me decide who for AU would take a shot in the last 3 seconds that would win or lose a game....I'm not sure what I could say...….but probably Harper would be the one...though he and BB have about the same stats.   Just that when BB gets in his one on one/shake and bake mode....I get really nervous.  :dunno: 

54 minutes ago, alexava said:

He is a competitor. I think if you ask him about that shot, he would tell you...

...up 5, and a good look at a shot he likes to shoot. If he makes it, it puts a dagger in Vandy's chance to come back. It didn't and I agree, it then made it harder to close Vandy out.

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

He is a competitor. I think if you ask him about that shot, he would tell you...

...up 5, and a good look at a shot he likes to shoot. If he makes it, it puts a dagger in Vandy's chance to come back. It didn't and I agree, it then made it harder to close Vandy out.

I have no doubt he had only good intentions. i won’t ever question that. I still think he’s our best player. 

12 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Does anyone else think Jared Harper is healthy? I don't think Jared has been healthy for weeks now. 

He probably has dead legs at this point, very rarely do you see those 5+ feet 3s go in, even when open. He doesn't really consistently drive anymore from what I saw, although I haven't watched a full game in a while. J'Von doesn't move the needle as a PG, but sometimes you need a body a little bit longer than spurts. Jared also might need to be reined in from trying to take over every close 4th quarter, I remember when he halted Bryce's ridiculously hot UK game and ofc the Okeke game a couple days ago...if he is tired, he needs to acknowledge his limitations, specifically when someone else is on 

You get those type of shots when a coach consistently preaches to a guy (1 on 1, ofc) that he has to play hero ball for them to have a chance. Jared is probably mentally conditioned the same as he was during the Duke and Arizona games when the shots were falling. The same person who built him up is gonna have to chip him down a little...

23 hours ago, AU64 said:

You're talking about 11 shots combined for ALL of them. If there are short comings it's from him and Brown turning the ball over too much and not setting up quality shots for anybody. I watch them not pass the ball to the post when they have excellent position every single game. 

Harper actually had a good floor game this last game but didn't shoot great and that's why we still won. If he's not distributing the ball effectively we're losing.

Archived