Baseball vs Georgia Southern Game 2

20 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I’ll take my downvotes early this year as I definitely deserve it for being this kneejerk this early in the season, but I’m usually leading the baseball optimism brigade so forgive me...

😄  OK..go ahead and get it out the way.    And with all the new faces,  it's easy enough to take a wait and see approach. Will take  while for us to know what we have in the way of hitting....especially the power angle.  

Too bad that one got away...….CBT took a chance leaving Watson in the game as long as he did  ...and to give the GSU guys a second look at him.   Sometimes it does not work out..:dunno: 

47 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Not sure why Butch pitches two true freshmen in a 4-0 game today either.

So they can get their oil checked. 

Butch is the anti-Gus...these guys are going to get every chance to prove themselves as opposed to one chance to fail.  This team is loaded with talent at every position.  I don't second guess Butch, he knows exactly what he's doing and I have every expectation for this team to be top three or four in conference when the dust settles.

Stinks to lose but glad we got in a tight game early in the season and had a little success in the ninth. It’ll pay off. #10 Ole Miss got beat by Wright State 9-5. Early season games mean little. Would be nice to get one tomorrow and start the year with a series win 

40 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

So they can get their oil checked. 

Butch is the anti-Gus...these guys are going to get every chance to prove themselves as opposed to one chance to fail.  This team is loaded with talent at every position.  I don't second guess Butch, he knows exactly what he's doing and I have every expectation for this team to be top three or four in conference when the dust settles.

When you risk losing one game out of 60 and winning 70% of  your games is considered exceptional coaching , it's not much of a big deal to play some young players.   I mean how far did he go with Watson or Glavine last year ?

C'mon  POD..find a better example to use when dumping on Gus...

1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I’ll take my downvotes early this year as I definitely deserve it for being this kneejerk this early in the season, but I’m usually leading the baseball optimism brigade so forgive me...

I don’t have high hopes for this season. You don’t lose a talent like Mize and not miss a beat. Not sure why Butch pitches two true freshmen in a 4-0 game today either. Need all the out of conference wins possible, and it’s looking like we’re throwing one away early. 

Surprised by all the preseason projections of 2 seed as well. If Auburn makes the postseason this season as strong as this league is, I’ll be pleasantly surprised. So I’ll try to view this season through that low expectations prism and just hope the talented freshman grow and are ready to get after it in 2020

We’re going to need those freshmen in SEC play. So you throw them now and test them to see which ones handle it and which struggle. Carson Skipper looked really good last night. Fuller and Morrison struggled today. You gotta get these guys work now in pressure situations when it’s not as important as conference play. 

I’m with you on not having super high expectations, although I think we will make a regional. We’re really talented, but we lost a lot of experience at important positions. And we’re replacing that experience with mostly freshmen, which isn’t a recipe for great success. I think we’re a year away from making a really deep run. 

26 minutes ago, boomstick said:

We’re going to need those freshmen in SEC play. So you throw them now and test them to see which ones handle it and which struggle. Carson Skipper looked really good last night. Fuller and Morrison struggled today. You gotta get these guys work now in pressure situations when it’s not as important as conference play. 

I’m with you on not having super high expectations, although I think we will make a regional. We’re really talented, but we lost a lot of experience at important positions. And we’re replacing that experience with mostly freshmen, which isn’t a recipe for great success. I think we’re a year away from making a really deep run. 

Still optimistic about this season. Two freshmen starting in the field last season as well as a JUCO 1B/3B and a JUCO Catcher. Howell is pretty clutch and we know Bliss will be worth the price of admission. We haven’t seen Bailey Horn or Kyle Gray yet and Wade will probably be an asset. Ryan Watson looked like a good relief option as well. I think very similar pieces are in place for a run like last season.

As great as Mize is, he was not an automatic win on a Friday night, going 10-6 last season, so record wise, and ERA wise, Burns can give us close to what Mize did (Burns had a better ERA). We’ll have to see what Gray gives us tomorrow, but if DD comes on, I really like our chances to be just as good from the mound as a team again this season. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Still optimistic about this season. Two freshmen starting in the field last season as well as a JUCO 1B/3B and a JUCO Catcher. Howell is pretty clutch and we know Bliss will be worth the price of admission. We haven’t seen Bailey Horn or Kyle Gray yet and Wade will probably be an asset. Ryan Watson looked like a good relief option as well. I think very similar pieces are in place for a run like last season.

As great as Mize is, he was not an automatic win on a Friday night, going 10-6 last season, so record wise, and ERA wise, Burns can give us close to what Mize did (Burns had a better ERA). We’ll have to see what Gray gives us tomorrow, but if DD comes on, I really like our chances to be just as good from the mound as a team again this season. 

Yeah, my biggest concern with this team is the bullpen and the amount of freshmen we will have to rely on this year. On top of that, Daniel visiting Dr. Andrews this week isn’t a great sign. 

14 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Stinks to lose but glad we got in a tight game early in the season and had a little success in the ninth. It’ll pay off. #10 Ole Miss got beat by Wright State 9-5. Early season games mean little. Would be nice to get one tomorrow and start the year with a series win 

Also was following #1 LSU. They were down in the ninth and won both games, the last one to army. Impressive they won but not in knock down fashion .

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

C'mon  POD..find a better example to use when dumping on Gus...

WTF?  I'm not dumping on Gus...I'm as fair with him as anybody on this board.  I'm simply pointing out that Butch is giving these guys an opportunity early and is not prone to burying them if they have a bad inning or two.  If an RB fumbles he's banished for a while, and you know it.

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs Georgia Southern Game 2

Archived