Who will be the new leaders in 2019?

AUght2win

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Auburn hasn’t had an identity on offense going into the season for several years now.  I’m not sure how we can expect a leader to emerge until we know what kind of “team” we are on offense.  Hope the trend is broken this year.

I think we might see that change if we can identify our QB early. And I think that we will find a guy out of this crop of QBs who can provide a stronger combination of swag and leadership than we got out of Jeremy Johnson, sorta Sean White/Sean White and the Seven Dwarves, and Jarrett Stidham. 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think we might see that change if we can identify our QB early. And I think that we will find a guy out of this crop of QBs who can provide a stronger combination of swag and leadership than we got out of Jeremy Johnson, sorta Sean White/Sean White and the Seven Dwarves, and Jarrett Stidham. 

I hope you’re right. Auburn had the Leader of Leaders in 2010 and the fan base didn’t know until the USCe game.  We had the Leader of Leaders 2.0 in 2013 and the fan base didn’t know until the 2nd half of the LSU game.  In 2011 we had no clue, even at the end of the season.  In 2015, we thought we knew.  In 2016, well.....Sean was a leader as far the fan base knew, but there were other issues at play.  Stidham was a follower, not much of a leader.  Without KJ his leadership skills vanished.

Unless there is a QB that is head and shoulders above the rest of the field and is trusted to perform, we may not see a leader at the QB position.  We would have to look at another position, maybe Worm, if he is given the chance.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Personally- and I certainly stand to be corrected by those who stayed in and/or close to the game past their junior year in high school- I think the position of quarterback is very singular in sports and by its own nature demands a leader. There are different leadership styles, of course- Cam Newton and Nick Marshall couldn't be any more different personality-wise- but whoever is in that spot isn't going to win if he doesn't have the respect and attention of his teammates. Everything goes through him. Even the play calls. 

Everything goes through a pitcher in baseball, too. But they aren't always leaders. I think some teams would be better off accepting someone else's leadership instead of forcing everyone to get in line behind a Manziel or Jamarcus Russell. 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Everything goes through a pitcher in baseball, too. But they aren't always leaders. I think some teams would be better off accepting someone else's leadership instead of forcing everyone to get in line behind a Manziel or Jamarcus Russell. 

Fair points. 

Hard for a freshmen to be a leader even if he is the starting QB so i'll pass on Bo. My guess would be Whitlow, Martin, Stove, Hastings, maybe the FB who is transferring in if he has the personality for it?

I guess I am in the minority, but I think Worm can be the leader we need on the offensive side. He may not have the size to be an every down back, but he has the heart to put this entire team on his back and have some left over. I think Mr Worm Shivers can be a leader for this team. We don't see many with his drive and desire. Hopefully that will rub off on some of the other guys.

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I guess I am in the minority, but I think Worm can be the leader we need on the offensive side. He may not have the size to be an every down back, but he has the heart to put this entire team on his back and have some left over. I think Mr Worm Shivers can be a leader for this team. We don't see many with his drive and desire. Hopefully that will rub off on some of the other guys.

I hope he gets enough carries to allow this to happen. He needs 7-8 touches a game minimum IMO. He was underutilized last season.

Broken record here but I genuinely see a lot of Deshaun Davis in Worm. He will absolutely be a leader this season and by his junior year will be one of the most important guys on the team. 

This is a young squad and the leadership is going to come from young guys. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I hope he gets enough carries to allow this to happen. He needs 7-8 touches a game minimum IMO. He was underutilized last season.

I mentioned earlier in this thread Worm could be the leader and, as you say, he has to have the touches. If he can get the staff’s confidence, his leadership qualities can win over the team.  It will depend on the trust he can develop with the staff.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I mentioned earlier in this thread Worm could be the leader and, as you say, he has to have the touches. If he can get the staff’s confidence, his leadership qualities can win over the team.  It will depend on the trust he can develop with the staff.

If I'm not mistaken, Horton said at some point last season that they were surprised by Worm. How on earth that can be I have no idea, but hopefully that means that we start this season with Worm at a 5 instead of at a 1. 

Buuuuut I say that every season and every season Gus manages to start the season without having any idea what his offense should look like. Except for last season, when we started off by breaking some tendencies and having success with some of Chip's stuff which Gus then threw right in the garbage.  

21 hours ago, Tiger said:

I completely agree that he was underutilized last season. I don't agree that he needs a minimum amount of touches to be the leader on offense. 

He will still be in offensive meetings. He will still be a part of practice. He will still be with the team during time outs. 

Having him on the field more than off the field absolutely would help the team...don't get me wrong... 

But he can still be the leader of the offense, regardless of his touches. He has heart that can't be taught. He has a drive unlike many others. That should rub off on the entire team. 

21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Broken record here but I genuinely see a lot of Deshaun Davis in Worm. 

Me too. That is why Worm would be my pick to be the leader of the offense.

21 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I mentioned earlier in this thread Worm could be the leader

I didn't see that or I would of tagged you. I really believe he will be the leader of this entire team by his JR year. 

However as I said above, I don't believe that in game touches will determine his ability to be an offensive leader.

21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If I'm not mistaken, Horton said at some point last season that they were surprised by Worm. How on earth that can be I have no idea

I can understand it... I mean look at his size. He completely surprised me. I'm sure it was quite the shock to see a 5'7 180lb RB make upperclassmen 2-3 times his size look stupid. 

Worm is a UNIQUE talent. 

I see Whitlow, Worm, Shwartz, and Prince, Stove on offense.

Davidson, Brown, Coe on defense.

So much young potential on this team. If they don’t all become headcases from Malzahn tinkering, the future looks bright. Gotta get some lineman recruited and transferred in. 

Personally,  I want to see some leadership from the coaching staff...

• 2 weeks later...

I think our defensive line will be the leaders. And on offense, though he's just a true freshman, I Bo believe will be the leader.

Archived