Null



Sign in to follow this  
gr82b4au

The starting lineup part 2

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I’m going of what I see as well. Just pointing out I’m not the only one who sees things this way. I feel that gives more validity to my thoughts when the coach and professionals agree with me. 

We’ve also had games where the other teams usual leading scorer had terrible stats. 

I’m not trying to convince you he can play defense. I know it’s not going to happen. You see things how you want to see them. I can’t make you see what you don’t wanna see. 

And brown has trouble scoring off the dribble cause he doesn’t have great dribbling skills. He is plenty quick but the ball tends to be left behind or fly off his foot. Would think someone like yourself would be able to see that. 

Lol dribbling is a bunch of dressing but most score off the THOUGHT of what they might do......most points don't come from a super handle though it can come from just putting your head down and going. Like when Morant made Brown fall. He just merely did a jab step and go. If you're unbelievably quick no matter you have a great handle or not you play the entire game you're going to get around six just because you're fast, period.

I know you're not implying that he's so weak at dribbling he can't go forward without losing the ball.....he wouldn't even been able to play high school if that was the case....I figured even you could see that.....and what player does Pearl say can't play D? What else is he supposed to say? What games were the guards held below? Many more games where they scored a bunch of points. Going off my head I've watched Brown get worked by Xavier, Murray state, uab, NC State, ole miss, miss st, and I'm leaving some off maybe Texas a&m but I'm just going off the top of thought right now. I'm interested in the game you saw Brown shut a guy down

One thing I know you didn't see is Brown with a gap as far as being quicker than Dunbar.....that tape doesn't exist

And it's funny that you state the see things I want as if you're different.....I have easy stats to support what I feel.....the score of the games.....

Edited by cole256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol dribbling is a bunch of dressing but most score off the THOUGHT of what they might do......most points don't come from a super handle though it can come from just putting your head down and going. Like when Morant made Brown fall. He just merely did a jab step and go. If you're unbelievably quick no matter you have a great handle or not you play the entire game you're going to get around six just because you're fast, period.

I know you're not implying that he's so weak at dribbling he can't go forward without losing the ball.....he wouldn't even been able to play high school if that was the case....I figured even you could see that.....and what player does Pearl say can't play D? What else is he supposed to say? What games were the guards held below? Many more games where they scored a bunch of points. Going off my head I've watched Brown get worked by Xavier, Murray state, uab, NC State, ole miss, miss st, and I'm leaving some off maybe Texas a&m but I'm just going off the top of thought right now. I'm interested in the game you saw Brown shut a guy down

One thing I know you didn't see is Brown with a gap as far as being quicker than Dunbar.....that tape doesn't exist

And it's funny that you state the see things I want as if you're different.....I have easy stats to support what I feel.....the score of the games.....

So you really think Brown's trouble scoring off the dribble is more about his lack of quickness then his dribbling skills? I don't know what to say to that other then you do you on that one. I would think someone who has never seen or played basketball would be able to point out his trouble with dribbling is there problem there. But i guess not. 

He can go forward without losing the ball. He actually does it from time to time as well. What i'm saying is that its the weak part of his game. And he is not consistently good with his handle and thats why he losing the ball often when trying to dribble it and break down the defender. I guess you think he losing the ball because he is slow?? Doesn't make sense to me but if that is the way you feel....

You bring up ol miss but i recall Tyre having like 2 points the first time we played them. But i'm not trying to state that Brown is a guy who can lock down top ten draft picks like Murant. I'm stating he is Auburns best on ball defender. Which probably doesn't put him in the top 30 on ball defenders in the country. But he is the best we got. 

So keeper of basketball knowledge and wisdom.....why is Brown constantly matched up against the other teams best offensive player if he is not our best on ball defender? Pearl just like him?? 

I'm not really sure what that last sentence you wrote means so i'll leave that one alone. I hope you know team defense as a whole impacts the score of games more then the performance of one player. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Dunbar is bigger than Brown and every bit as fast. In a lot of the games recently Brown is the guard who has been broken down and beaten to the lane where the guard scores or dumps to a big for a dunk. Also bigger guards deflect passes because of their wingspan which leads to easy baskets which Auburn needs. Having Brown coming off the bench for instant offense is also a good thing.

According to Pearl, and the games I've been too, it has been Harper who got beat off the dribble, not Brown. I am sure Brown has not been the best every game, but Pearl puts him always on the best guard scorer. 

Dunbar can guard the bigger guards, true, but what he doesn't do is maintain his defense. He forgets, freestyles too much at times. I think Brown simply plays more consistent offense and defense. He can be counted on at the critical times.

Dunbar, while doing better recently, at times disappears or gets into easy foul trouble and I've seen him get chewed out bc of things he has done or not done causing a breakdown and an easy basket.

I don't mind him playing more if he continues how he played at Vandy, and I don't care who starts. But Brown is the guy I want there at the end, and maybe even Dunbar together. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Both our starting guards get beat off the dribble. It's why our bigs are always in foul trouble.

Lol, you tell them then maybe they'll hear it.....he doesn't realize I'm the one who wrote on here about Brown's lack of ball handling but he can't get it that if you're super quick you would score a couple of buckets every game off just having the ball in a 3 point stance.....he can't comprehend it from me though.....go on and on about stuff nobody said. 

I can't post an opinion without feelings being hurt and I'm the Oracle.....they post more than me now but they know basketball lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

According to Pearl, and the games I've been too, it has been Harper who got beat off the dribble, not Brown. I am sure Brown has not been the best every game, but Pearl puts him always on the best guard scorer. 

Dunbar can guard the bigger guards, true, but what he doesn't do is maintain his defense. He forgets, freestyles too much at times. I think Brown simply plays more consistent offense and defense. He can be counted on at the critical times.

Dunbar, while doing better recently, at times disappears or gets into easy foul trouble and I've seen him get chewed out bc of things he has done or not done causing a breakdown and an easy basket.

I don't mind him playing more if he continues how he played at Vandy, and I don't care who starts. But Brown is the guy I want there at the end, and maybe even Dunbar together. 

Watch the Xavier game.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gravejd said:

So you really think Brown's trouble scoring off the dribble is more about his lack of quickness then his dribbling skills? I don't know what to say to that other then you do you on that one. I would think someone who has never seen or played basketball would be able to point out his trouble with dribbling is there problem there. But i guess not. 

He can go forward without losing the ball. He actually does it from time to time as well. What i'm saying is that its the weak part of his game. And he is not consistently good with his handle and thats why he losing the ball often when trying to dribble it and break down the defender. I guess you think he losing the ball because he is slow?? Doesn't make sense to me but if that is the way you feel....

You bring up ol miss but i recall Tyre having like 2 points the first time we played them. But i'm not trying to state that Brown is a guy who can lock down top ten draft picks like Murant. I'm stating he is Auburns best on ball defender. Which probably doesn't put him in the top 30 on ball defenders in the country. But he is the best we got. 

So keeper of basketball knowledge and wisdom.....why is Brown constantly matched up against the other teams best offensive player if he is not our best on ball defender? Pearl just like him?? 

I'm not really sure what that last sentence you wrote means so i'll leave that one alone. I hope you know team defense as a whole impacts the score of games more then the performance of one player. 

You're absolutely right and when 3 of your players are out of their league athletically you get the defense that we have....but ok he's a great defender......we KNOW chumma is, a Mac is decent.....the other dude says he watches samiract's he is.....so it's all on Harper huh? And I guess you missed the games where Bruce took Brown off guys and put Harper on them??? But ok line I said feel how you feel....after the fact you'll say EVERYBODY knew Brown wasn't a good defender.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You're absolutely right and when 3 of your players are out of their league athletically you get the defense that we have....but ok he's a great defender......we KNOW chumma is, a Mac is decent.....the other dude says he watches samiract's he is.....so it's all on Harper huh? And I guess you missed the games where Bruce took Brown off guys and put Harper on them??? But ok line I said feel how you feel....after the fact you'll say EVERYBODY knew Brown wasn't a good defender.....

You still haven’t explained why pearl continues to put him on the other teams best player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

 it has been Harper who got beat off the dribble

Harper has had a ton of trouble this year guarding the other team’s point guard. Not much you can do there than double his man or put him on a slow forward hahaha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/19/2019 at 8:19 AM, theallseeingfan said:

We all know how much Brown has meant to our success but I wish someone would put a 2 sec cap on him having the ball. Either catch and shoot, drive and make a decision or swing the ball. Sometimes his 'dancing' as another poster put it, comepletely kills our rhythm. I agree with most of you that our top contributors (on O and D) at this point in the season seem to be:

1. Chuma

2. Dunbar

3. Horace

4. Harper

5. Brown

Brown at the 5 could be interesting. 

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

Typically your 3 is the best athletes on the floor. You rarely ever see a 3 that's good at defense that can't guard a 2. Actually the more I think about it I don't think I've ever seen it. The only thing different between a 2 and a 3 is the 3 is usually a little bigger. They usually have the same skill sets. Dunbar would actually play a 2 on many teams. 6'6" is the prototype 2 guard in the NBA. 

2 and 3 have many more differences other than 3 being a little bigger, they come with different skill sets. I do agree most 3's can guard most 2s though. 

Before I list my five, I want to say that I think Dunbar is a better player than Doughty. I also don't think Doughty is giving us the production we need at the 3 right now. The problem is, I'm not sure we have a good solution for that, because if we take Dunbar from his role as 6th man and start him at the 3, we would have to rely on Purifoy to be the 6th man, and I'm not sure if he's up for it. If Doughty doesn't pick up his game, CBP isn't going to have much of a choice other than to insert Dunbar into the starting lineup. That will create it's own set of issues though. Dunbar gives us more versitlity at the 6th spot than any other player we have, and he is already a proven guy at that spot. For now, I would stick with what we've got, but one or two more games maybe all Doughty has if he doesn't pick it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

One game out of 20+ games played.?...ok...

I'm giving you an example I didn't say it was the only game.....you don't have to watch that if you don't want. But I have more games than you to use as examples of him giving up a bunch of points than you have of him of shutting somebody down....20 + games as if you can show different in most those games.....ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and it just coincides that the 2 guard is usually going to be the better scorer and he is usually going to be bigger. Of course you're going to match Harper up with the smaller guards......

Your PG is usually going to be more of a distributor

Edited by cole256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Brown at the 5 could be interesting

Lol I'm sorry for the confusion, I listed them in order of their level of contribution at this point. I was not suggesting we put Bryce at the 5 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, theallseeingfan said:

Lol I'm sorry for the confusion, I listed them in order of their level of contribution at this point. I was not suggesting we put Bryce at the 5 😂

that's ok. you're wrong on both counts. 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest factor in the adjustment to the starting lineup last night, was that Doughty and Dunbar seemed to great each other on a few celebrations. Looked like both guys embraced the switch, whether it was due to injury or production. 

 

Hard to tell the lasting impact from the change given the way that game went. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking a quick look at the box score from last night, Dunbar (8-5-3) and Doughty (6-4-2)  had similar lines and almost identical minutes. The turnovers weren't good, but rebounding was good. 

The biggest disappointment for me was Purifoy. He got 17 mins and only 3 rebs to show for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you guys can argue all ya want. i am still pumped that coach pearl is ours. with coach pulling in a top ten recruiting class for the first time in years i believe our best is yet to come. Chuck messed us up pretty bad. he screwed up our chemistry as a team and was one of the causes two players who were pretty much on fire sat down so long it hurt them and us as a team. you guys can argue with each other or throw shade on coach pearl all you want. i will be enjoying the hell out of our games as well as looking forward to how much better we will be when decent recruiting classes start piling in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

No you didn’t. You were the clown that wanted to bench Bryce for Samir

No I was the guy that told you not to be an idiot when you were saying samir would make everybody forget Herron and Murray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you guys can argue all ya want. i am still pumped that coach pearl is ours. with coach pulling in a top ten recruiting class for the first time in years i believe our best is yet to come. Chuck messed us up pretty bad. he screwed up our chemistry as a team and was one of the causes two players who were pretty much on fire sat down so long it hurt them and us as a team. you guys can argue with each other or throw shade on coach pearl all you want. i will be enjoying the hell out of our games as well as looking forward to how much better we will be when decent recruiting classes start piling in.

What are you talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Taking a quick look at the box score from last night, Dunbar (8-5-3) and Doughty (6-4-2)  had similar lines and almost identical minutes. The turnovers weren't good, but rebounding was good. 

The biggest disappointment for me was Purifoy. He got 17 mins and only 3 rebs to show for it. 

Yeah you're going to have a hard time accepting the Dunbar stuff. It's ok we're all wrong some time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this