2020 3* OT Trey Zimmerman (UNC)

ellitor

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We are just trying to help with the recruiting pitch....:)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The plan is to get a couple of guys on board and then get after the "big dogs".

Before anyone freaks out, I'm guessing that we're already working on getting the big dogs, too. I'm just guessing that they have the luxury of holding their decision longer, while we're hoping that we can lean a little harder on some of the under-recruited guys to commit early? Thus securing some depth while simultaneously working the blue chips, as opposed to holding out for big dogs who end up walking elsewhere and eventually coming up empty-handed. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Before anyone freaks out, I'm guessing that we're already working on getting the big dogs, too. I'm just guessing that they have the luxury of holding their decision longer, while we're hoping that we can lean a little harder on some of the under-recruited guys to commit early? Thus securing some depth while simultaneously working the blue chips, as opposed to holding out for big dogs who end up walking elsewhere and eventually coming up empty-handed. 

Agree......and good starting offensive lines in college football are well populated non-big dogs.....so ya gotta have some of them too.  

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well when you are taking 6-7 in a class You need to take 2 or 3 early you feel have a lot of promise regardless of rating. Trying to secure some depth as you said.

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is correct. Looks like AU is taking more of a tag team approach to recruiting this year. More so than than the other years in the past. While there is still going to be "territories" you will see multiple AU coaches on one kid. Some of our top target OL's are in places where our better recruiters have some solid relationships. 

52 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The plan is to get a couple of guys on board and then get after the "big dogs". Zimmerman is one who AU hopes to get on board ASAP. He is a guy who will redshirt and take a year or two to get into the rotation, if he progresses. 

That makes perfect sense and is what we should have done more of in years past so we are covered if we don't get the Big Dogs.

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That makes perfect sense and is what we should have done more of in years past so we are covered if we don't get the Big Dogs.

Of course all of that was from my subscription to pay sites. :nanner:

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Trying to secure some depth as you said.

No need- we have plenty of OL depth, we’ve been lectured on this many times.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The plan is to get a couple of guys on board and then get after the "big dogs". Zimmerman is one who AU hopes to get on board ASAP. He is a guy who will redshirt and take a year or two to get into the rotation, if he progresses. 

Back in the old days it was common to redshirt offensive linemen I think.  I recall that running teams like Nebraska and others always had a starting OL of RS seniors.    NFL makes that more difficult but it's nice to have some guys being developed physically and as a group who can play those cerebral positions. JMO

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Back in the old days it was common to redshirt offensive linemen I think.  I recall that running teams like Nebraska and others always had a starting OL of RS seniors.    NFL makes that more difficult but it's nice to have some guys being developed physically and as a group who can play those cerebral positions. JMO

AU needs both immediate and the redshirt guys. IMO, I hope we sign 10 OL's this cycle. 

So, can CGM get a little credit for changing his tactics for the better? Is he learning from past mistakes?

15 minutes ago, toddc said:

So, can CGM get a little credit for changing his tactics for the better? Is he learning from past mistakes?

Can't speak for others, but I personally am eager to give him credit for the things that I think he does right.

If we see an improvement in OL recruiting, then I will gladly give Gus credit for adapting. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Can't speak for others, but I personally am eager to give him credit for the things that I think he does right.

If we see an improvement in OL recruiting, then I will gladly give Gus credit for adapting. 

I agree 100%.    I want Gus to be wildly successful because that means Auburn is wildly successful and as the clock is winding down on the little general's reign, a surging Auburn is a wonderful thing.  

Did I buy my ticket on the bus?   No

Do I want to buy a ticket?   yes, but there are still seats available, so I will wait a bit longer.  😎

Just now, Beaker said:

I agree 100%.    I want Gus to be wildly successful because that means Auburn is wildly successful and as the clock is winding down on the little general's reign, a surging Auburn is a wonderful thing.  

Did I buy my ticket on the bus?   No

Do I want to buy a ticket?   yes, but there are still seats available, so I will wait a bit longer.  😎

Exactly. Contrary to what some apologists would have us believe, it's not personal. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AU needs both immediate and the redshirt guys. IMO, I hope we sign 10 OL's this cycle. 

I think you might have been exaggerating a bit, but if we can back count a few players (if that is still allowable) and sign more than 25 total, I'm okay with this, but we still need other positions filled. I rather hope we get 7 OL with at least 4 of them ready to come in and make an immediate impact. I think we've got a few guys who are or will be on campus this year who can help us out in 2020, but I do think we'll see at least one or two first year players on the offensive front, and we'll need the other immediate impact guys for immediate depth.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

So, can CGM get a little credit for changing his tactics for the better?

Too early to tell. Desperation can do funny things.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Is he learning from past mistakes?

Time will tell but changing things because of the desperate need to get guys at a position can be a short term thing. If the tactics roll over to future OL classes then we can say yes he has learned from his mistakes. We can't answer that question on this class alone.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yep!

30 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

if we can back count a few players (if that is still allowable) and sign more than 25 total,

We can but the important number is how many you enroll, not sign. As of now we can enroll 29 for the 2020 class with 4 counting back to open spots in this class. That number will drop if we take anymore transfers this year.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Too early to tell. Desperation can do funny things.

Time will tell but changing things because of the desperate need to get guys at a position can be a short term thing. If the tactics roll over to future OL classes then we can say yes he has learned from his mistakes. We can't answer that question on this class alone.

exactly. CGM HAD to change his strategy for recruiting OL this year, bc of the dire need of poor OL recruiting in the past few years. It was obvious to see, even to him.

Now as E says, let's see how OL early recruiting goes in future recruiting years(If Gus is still here ofc)....

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Assuming our recruiting doesn’t drop off at another position because of the focus on OL.

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

my wife is a dukie…...I know what to expect.....but a great college education is available at most schools if the student applies him or herself....and that includes AU.

I wish most people would get this!!  Beautiful answer!!!

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Assuming our recruiting doesn’t drop off at another position because of the focus on OL.

No reason it should.

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No reason it should.

Hey Ellitor.....about how many grad transfers do you think we are looking at & how many do you think will be OLs?  Thanks & WDE!!

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

We can but the important number is how many you enroll, not sign. As of now we can enroll 29 for the 2020 class with 4 counting back to open spots in this class. That number will drop if we take anymore transfers this year.

I knew about the enroll number, I just wasn't sure we could still count back to the previous year (provided we have the slots still open, of course, and the players that enroll early) or if that rule had been done away with.

5 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Ellitor.....about how many grad transfers do you think we are looking at & how many do you think will be OLs?  Thanks & WDE!!

No idea for either question. Info like that doesn’t get out too often.

Archived