Tiger Invitational Feb. 2019

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Great outing for Chardonnay, after a bit of a shaky start.  What's the AU record for strikeouts?  Bats not so impressive.  Think we had 6 hits.  Scored 5 in the second inning on 4 walks (incl. 2 HBP) and two hits, I think.  Great to see the CG for Chardonnay, though.  Guessing Swindle starts against NDS.

Don’t think it’s fair to judge the offensive performance on “hits” alone.  I think the situational hitting was very good with several productive outs to move runners.  Very much improved IMHO. 😊

You're probably right.  Guess I was expecting more of a blowout against EIU, but then we got it against NDS, which i didn't expect.  I agree the hitting and offense is definitely improved over last year.  Gotta give a nod to Dean there.

10 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Very encouraged by what I saw from Handley.   haven't looked at the stats, but I don't think she walked over one.

She is still a "wild pitch liability" but her progress compared to when I saw her earlier this year has been exponential improvement.  I am very encouraged at how she is getting better. Initially I felt we would be fortunate to just get a few innings from her in certain situations.  Good for Lexie.

I see good potential in the pitching and batting lineup if we continue to get the quality play we are seeing.  Love seeing both Handley and Harris go deep in the game.  Swindle is a great change of pace pitcher in relief for both of those girls.  I suspect she will get the 1st call in relief.

We get wins in our final two games to push our record to 13-3; 11-1 over Villanova in 6, and 3-1 over Troy.  Ashlee gave up a solo homer to the second batter of the game for 'Nova, but they were unable to score again.  Veach singled home Taylon Snow to tie the game in bot 1, then the Tiger bats went silent for a couple of innings.  Veach hit a solo homer in the 4th to give Auburn the lead, and the Tigers added a couple more in the 5th on an RBI single by TaySnow and a wild pitch.  Leading 4-1 going to bot 6, the Tigers ended it with two first of career homers: a 3-run shot by Aspyn Godwin in a pinch-hit role, and a grand slam by Taylon Snow.  Swindle went the distance, giving up two hits and 3 walks against 4 Ks.

Troy proved a bit more resilient.  They also scored a run in top 1, which held up until the 4th, when Tannon Snow walked and Godwin singled.  Justus Perry then went yard, and 3-1 proved to be the final score; Auburn had only 5 hits in this one.  Makayla pitched the complete game, giving up 4 hits and an uncharacteristic 5 walks against 6 Ks.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We get wins in our final two games to push our record to 13-3; 11-1 over Villanova in 6, and 3-1 over Troy.  Ashlee gave up a solo homer to the second batter of the game for 'Nova, but they were unable to score again.  Veach singled home Taylon Snow to tie the game in bot 1, then the Tiger bats went silent for a couple of innings.  Veach hit a solo homer in the 4th to give Auburn the lead, and the Tigers added a couple more in the 5th on an RBI single by TaySnow and a wild pitch.  Leading 4-1 going to bot 6, the Tigers ended it with two first of career homers: a 3-run shot by Aspyn Godwin in a pinch-hit role, and a grand slam by Taylon Snow.  Swindle went the distance, giving up two hits and 3 walks against 4 Ks.

Troy proved a bit more resilient.  They also scored a run in top 1, which held up until the 4th, when Tannon Snow walked and Godwin singled.  Justus Perry then went yard, and 3-1 proved to be the final score; Auburn had only 5 hits in this one.  Makayla pitched the complete game, giving up 4 hits and an uncharacteristic 5 walks against 6 Ks.

That's about right. 4 games in 2 days on TV, with only the Rivera homer.  Then we have two first time big ones when we can't watch.  I am ticked I couldn't see Taylons grand slam.  I bet that was a special moment to behold.  Same with Godwin but I have a feeling we will see a lot more from her. Tay is more of a base hit girl. 

13 hours ago, slot canyon said:

She is still a "wild pitch liability" but her progress compared to when I saw her earlier this year has been exponential improvement.  I am very encouraged at how she is getting better. Initially I felt we would be fortunate to just get a few innings from her in certain situations.  Good for Lexie.

I had the good fortune to be able to watch Lexie warming up before a game this year. I was on the other side of the fence but only about 10 feet away from her. Her velocity was very impressive and accuracy seemed good. I wouldn’t have wanted to be catching her.

It reminded me of watching pro golfers hitting shots on the range before a tournament and realizing the unique talent that they have. 

I became a huge Lexie fan that day.  Two good wins for the ladies today. 

Archived