Washington Post is sued bigly by kid in “infamous” photo

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Wall Street Journal paid $222.7M in a 1997 suit. Defamation awards aren't always small. 

I'm not read up on the '97 suit.

But this kid doesn't have a business or any form of income that was hurt by this, and as far as I know he was never actually physically attacked right? Since there was no monetary or physical harm he can only come with emotional or mental stress/anguish... which I suspect isn't as large of a payout. (again, I dunno for sure. Going off limited memory :lol:)

56 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

But this kid doesn't have a business or any form of income that was hurt by this, and as far as I know he was never actually physically attacked right? 

Keep in mind defamation is broad and accounts for intangible injury. Probably doesn't have a business, but does have a reputation. 

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

I'm not read up on the '97 suit.

But this kid doesn't have a business or any form of income that was hurt by this, and as far as I know he was never actually physically attacked right? Since there was no monetary or physical harm he can only come with emotional or mental stress/anguish... which I suspect isn't as large of a payout. (again, I dunno for sure. Going off limited memory :lol:)

WTF are you talking about??? I mean seriously? This kid's life is trash going forward. He has probably, arguably, lost who knows how much in potential income because he will ever be able to find a decent job. Who is going to hire "the MAGA Kid?" This kid is forever damaged. 

Going off severely limited intelligence...This is the kind of lawsuit that as a lawyer would get my dick hard. It is a chance to rewrite all libel cases ever and forever. The chance to make one killing so large and profound that it sets you up for life. The kicker is that the kid is so young that all the compounding on potential lost income is gi-normous...

21 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

WTF are you talking about??? I mean seriously? This kid's life is trash going forward. He has probably, arguably, lost who knows how much in potential income because he will ever be able to find a decent job. Who is going to hire "the MAGA Kid?" This kid is forever damaged. 

Going off severely limited intelligence...This is the kind of lawsuit that as a lawyer would get my dick hard. It is a chance to rewrite all libel cases ever and forever. The chance to make one killing so large and profound that it sets you up for life. The kicker is that the kid is so young that all the compounding on potential lost income is gi-normous...

The amazing thing is......all the kid wanted was an apology from the news organizations that trashed him.  If organizations apologized for jumping to conclusions and getting the narrative wrong, they would not be sued.  Some did apologize.  I think the plan is to file suit for all that did not apologize or retract their statements.  This is just the first.

55 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

This is probably the most extreme scenario that could happen. I wouldn’t say his life is trash going forward. No one will remember him in a couple years, and no one will care. He’ll be fine with or without the lawsuit.

But if I can make $250m for wearing a MAGA hat and smiling smugly in someone’s face...sign me up. 

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Talk about hyperbolic. :rolleyes: Even Japan approved. 

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

That's going pretty crazy, just because you'd never hire him doesn't mean no one ever will.

and "forever damaged? How?

I don't know his name now. Line him up with twelve other white kids and I couldn't even pick him outta a line up.

Not to mention with the way news is compounding that within a couple years he's gonna be buried behind 1 billion other supposed outrages.

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

If this works I’m getting a MAGA hat and trying to make a lawyer’s dick hard. 

6 hours ago, Mims44 said:

That's going pretty crazy, just because you'd never hire him doesn't mean no one ever will.

and "forever damaged? How?

I don't know his name now. Line him up with twelve other white kids and I couldn't even pick him outta a line up.

Not to mention with the way news is compounding that within a couple years he's gonna be buried behind 1 billion other supposed outrages.

Any employer that sees Covington Catholic as his listed high school education and sees his age and what year he graduates will likely find out about the story.  

The kid has received death threats. You think employers will take on extra security in order for him to be hired?

2 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Any employer that sees Covington Catholic as his listed high school education and sees his age and what year he graduates will likely find out about the story.  

The kid has received death threats. You think employers will take on extra security in order for him to be hired?

LMAO... for sure.

If the kid needs a low paying PHP/MySQL coding job I'll take him on.

And I wouldn't even ask him "Has anyone ever been a big meanie and sent you a nasty DM?"

6 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Hell I can’t even remember the last time I put my HS on my resume. 

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Talk about hyperbolic. :rolleyes: Even Japan approved. 

I unequivocally support DKWs very measured and conservative statement around the irreparable and existential damage done to this young Patriots psyche and his future earnings....fortunately, I think the Post will help soothe the injured feelings of this slandered and maligned future millionaire...

1 minute ago, japantiger said:

I unequivocally support DKWs very measured and conservative statement around the irreparable and existential damage done to this young Patriots psyche and his future earnings....fortunately, I think the Post will help soothe the injured feelings of this slandered and maligned future millionaire...

And what a  "snowflake" he is. ;)

Look I don't post much on here in support of lawsuits especially when it's politicians, celebrities, or media pundits involved who are playing the victim but this is a 15 year old kid who was smeared and his public image and reputation has been ran through the mud. He doesn't have a platform to defend himself. He made one public appearance on NBC to give his side of the story but that was it. He hasn't been doing public tours or making rounds with the media to promote Trump(MAGA)or condemn Nathan Phillips for approaching him. He hasn't gone on FOX  to do a softball interview. with Hannity or anything like that. He just wants his name cleared along with apologies but if some pompous media outlets want to stick to their guns(pointed at themselves) then I don't see why the kid should be shamed or mocked for taking legal action.

I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion that the kid should just get over it. That's cool with me. I'm just giving you my opinion so agree to disagree.  I just hope those on here making light of this whole situation will extend the same level of tolerance when they're the one's outraged or supporting someone suing say FOX News for example and some right leaning posters on here think it's a joke. I'm sure we'll get a different reaction then. I mean there are people actually supporting or like the richest person in the world, Jeff Bezos, suing the National Enquirer... lol 

11 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Keep in mind defamation is broad and accounts for intangible injury. Probably doesn't have a business, but does have a reputation. 

Stuff said about him will follow him all his life on the internet......and likely none of the perps will make an adequate apology nor will they clear the web of all the references that besmirched his reputation.   Who knows what that might be worth?  

Get one of them  "send 'em a message" lawyers that show up in personal injury cases......sky is the limit.. 

21 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And what a  "snowflake" he is. ;)

The snowflakes are the media types and their minions that have promoted this divisive hatred.  All due to butthurt over what they deemed a slam dunk presidential election. Instead of taking their medicine, learning from the experience and moving on, they chose a different path. One which divides us with manufactured outrage. I have no pity for them.

11 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

The snowflakes are the media types and their minions that have promoted this divisive hatred.  All due to butthurt over what they deemed a slam dunk presidential election. Instead of taking their medicine, learning from the experience and moving on, they chose a different path. One which divides us with manufactured outrage. I have no pity for them.

Yeah, that's the ticket.  It's not Trump trying to divide the country, it's the media.

:laugh:

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, that's the ticket.  It's not Trump trying to divide the country, it's the media.

:laugh:

Trump is the media...

In Alabama you can get your arms cut off due to negligence by your employer and not get enough through lawsuits to live on. This kid ain’t lost nothing. He could easily go away and be forgotten about. But if he gets 250 million I won’t hate him for it. I’ll just be jealous. I think it’s going to be a small quiet settlement. 

Archived