Faciilities Threads (Merged)

GwillMac6

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay G. Tate • AuburnSports.com

Football drives the Auburn athletics economy.

Now athletic director Allen Greene believes it's time for that economy to help drive the program's football facility to the Southeastern Conference's peak. In an interview with AuburnSports.com Tuesday, Greene said the time has come for Auburn to build a state-of-the-art football facility aimed at providing the Tigers a proper home — and a clear-cut recruiting advantage.

One problem: It's expensive. Very expensive. In fact, the most recent estimates hover around $60 million, which means Greene and his staff must rely on outside support to mitigate the financial burden.

"We absolutely have to raise money for it," Greene said. "An (operations) building is beneficial to our entire athletics department — not just football. In order for Auburn football to be successful, we have to continue to invest in facilities. There's no way around it."

The football program currently is housed in the Auburn Athletics Complex, which was completed in 1989. The bottom floor, home to the team's practice locker room, training areas and lounge, has been renovated several times through the years. The most recent updates were completed prior to the 2017 season, but coach Gus Malzahn and his staff keep hearing from recruits about Clemson's new, $55-million facility that includes a bowling alley, an outdoor grilling area and a sand volleyball court.

Alabama, Kentucky, South Carolina, Texas A&M, LSU and Tennessee also have spent lavishly on brand-new or wildly reimagined football facilities during the past few years.

The Tigers' difficult season in 2018 has affected fundraising in a negative way, but Greene says the push to regain standing in the facilities arms race shouldn't be tied to the team's record. The need to remain relevant, he said, transcends all that.

"The Auburn Family understands that there’s ebbs and flows to (football). And all of our sports," Greene said. "Auburn is not going anywhere. Auburn is bigger than a coach, an athletic director. Having the viewpoint of the long gameis very, very beneficial. We’re very fortunate to have a fan base and a donor base that expects excellence right now — but also understands that we need heavy investments to have excellence."

Greene said the department is hoping to raise enough money in 2019 to break ground on the facility, which likely will be built just west of the indoor practice facility. Gus and Kristi Malzahn kicked off the fundraising effort last year with a $2-million donation.

They must be eyeing the old track, but that is not near big enough.  I wonder If they may eat into part of the old colosseum's footprint?  That is my best guess.

13 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Image result for its happening gif

You tell us WDE.  For years all we heard was the money folks refused to give funds to AU for improvements because they didn't want Jacobs overseeing the projects. 

JJ's been gone for over a year, and now Greene says the 2018 season has negatively affected fundraising efforts......So what is it?  Will the $$ people pony up now that we have a new AD, or are they now using the results on the field as an excuse to sway their wallets?  

UK/USCe/UT find the funds to make improvements when they've had middling to piss poor on the field results for years.  Yet AU's success over the last decade has far surpassed any of those programs and AU has funding/fundraising issues?

1 minute ago, keesler said:

You tell us WDE.  For years all we heard was the money folks refused to give funds to AU for improvements because they didn't want Jacobs overseeing the projects. 

JJ's been gone for over a year, and now Greene says the 2018 season has negatively affected fundraising efforts......So what is it?  Will the $$ people pony up now that we have a new AD, or will they use the results on the field to sway their wallets?  

UK/USCe/UT find the funds to make improvements when they've had middling to piss poor on the field results for years.  Yet AU's success over the last decade has far surpassed any of those programs and AU has funding/fundraising issues?

IMO, its past time to do it and I'm guessing folks will get off their wallet now. Having Tim Cook on board will help out a ton. Money isn't a issue and never has been at AU. A bunch of it has been pissed away by those in charge and people got pissed off about that. Let's hope a new chapter has started. 

30 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

They must be eyeing the old track, but that is not near big enough.  I wonder If they may eat into part of the old colosseum's footprint?  That is my best guess.

It’s plenty big, if you build up. Put in a parking deck on the ground floor, meeting rooms, conference rooms, reception, cafeteria on the first floor. New state of the art weight room, plunge pools, rehab, etc on the next floor. Have a floor just for recruits and players - Xbox and PlayStation, pool, lounge, etc. then have your coaches’ offices and position meeting rooms on the top floor with the view. Give the head coach an office like the one at Oregon’s facility - all open with big windows and a great view of the practice fields.

You could even tear up Biggio and build an access tunnel to the practice fields or the indoor facility that could lead straight from the weight room floor. As long as you think Up and not out, there’s plenty of room at the old track. Plus that’s probably the only real option unless you demolish the coliseum first.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

IMO, its past time to do it and I'm guessing folks will get off their wallet now. Having Tim Cook on board will help out a ton. Money isn't a issue and never has been at AU. A bunch of it has been pissed away by those in charge and people got pissed off about that. Let's hope a new chapter has started. 

I hope the new chapter has started as well. 

I just find Greene's comments interesting, since he specifically mentions , "We absolutely have to raise money for it", and then he continues on to bring up the difficult season in 2018 has negatively affected fundraising efforts. 

Jacobs drug this out for years, with the numerous "feasibility studies" and the letters & questionnaires to Boosters trying to see if AU people were willing to fund projects.  Jacobs fundraising drive was in the immediate wake of AU's first national championship on over 50 yrs.....even then, the $$ folks wouldn't put up the cash to fund projects.

So, JJ goes back to the well after the 2013 season where AU played for another NC and the $$ people still wouldn't fork out the cash. 

Now the new AD Greene has tried to raise funds and he says the 2018 season 8-5 has negatively affected efforts.   When Title contention years like the 14-0 NC + the 10-2 season with a NC appearance failed to boost donations, what will it take now that AU is averaging 3-4 losses/yr?

Well it takes money to make money. We can’t deny the fact that the football program supports several other AU none money making teams. If we are not putting a good football product on the field the the secondary and tierchiery affects are fans don’t buy tickets, merchandise...etc. that lost revenue creates a ripple affect throughout the athletic budget. Now I don’t know how television rights are worked, but I can say that an onfield crap product does not translate to more prime time television exposure. Recruits now days, especially those 4* and 5* recruits all fans desire, want to got to a school that not only offers a good education, which AU does provide, but they also want to shine in front of a large fan base with good support and have the opportunity to play in front of a national  audience. If it takes a fancy new building to help sell the AU Family atmosphere and helps us keep up, or puts us in a better position the compete in the recruiting world with the likes of Bama, Thugga, Clempsun, tOSU, OU, LSU and any other perineal top top ten, well then OK. Getting good recruits and fielding a good consistent on the field product generates money, whether you see it that way or not. Look at like any business model. You have to invest in your company to stay relevant, current with the times and ultimately competitive against your competition. Some will say that’s putting the cart before the horse. But me personally, “If you build it they will come”, (thanks Kevin Costner).

1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

“If you build it they will come

Field of Dreams. I agree with your assessment. 

Yuuuuuuge 

The FOF will help our program compete during our recruiting battles and will be something else that we can be proud of. 

1 hour ago, lca408 said:

Plus that’s probably the only real option unless you demolish the coliseum first.

Why is the old girl still standing anyway?

They have the money to fund it. Tired of them saying they need to rely on outside funding. That’s just a preface for when plans fall through, the “outside funders” are at fault. Just build the damn thing. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Yuuuuuuge 

The FOF will help our program compete during our recruiting battles and will be something else that we can be proud of. 

Hopefully this doesn’t halt plans for a Jordan Hare facelift. JHS is in dire need of a facelift. 

4 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Hopefully this doesn’t halt plans for a Jordan Hare facelift. JHS is in dire need of a facelift. 

I think FOF will be top priority. Read elsewhere that Greene is developing a master plan regarding long term renovations. 

Get the football facility built yesterday.  It irks me to see South Carolina & Clemson having this facility and not us.We are a richer school than either of those and should be a better football program no doubt. Yes, Clemson has won some NCs, but still we should do better and strive to do so.

14 minutes ago, logan adams said:

They have the money to fund it. Tired of them saying they need to rely on outside funding. That’s just a preface for when plans fall through, the “outside funders” are at fault. Just build the damn thing. 

It’s always easy to spend other people’s money lol.

Greene is on the right track. I hope he encourages believing in his message versus the ole ball coach. This needs to be for the future progression of Auburn football, whether that has Gus in the picture or not should be secondary.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Are you saying Tim Cook is on board now or that we need to get him on board?

I am one that does not know about why fundraising is difficult at Auburn but didn't Auburn raise $600 million a few years back.  If we did then I cant imagine we would have trouble raising $ 60 million now unless the money guys are holding out to see if they have to come up with $ 33 million to get a new coach.

1 minute ago, TigerSpider said:

They would need to close that street that runs between the practice fields and the old track.  Tear down Beard-Eaves and make the whole block AU football.

I think this is probably what will eventually happen. However I think they’ll tear down Beard-Eaves and build a partial parking deck/partial class building on the site, maybe a new kinesiology building? Sports science? Definitely Biggio needs to go. It’s practically useless anyway. Turn it into the driveway for the football facility and leave it at that - no public thru traffic.

I would say "finally" but it's not breaking ground soon... which means it won't be built soon either... this has felt like a cruel joke for quite some time now.

3 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Why is the old girl still standing anyway?

The geology department amongst a few other science departments have stock in there I believe 

They also host various church, sporting and entertaining events I believe 

Archived