Faciilities Threads (Merged)

GwillMac6

Over the years on the JH renovation project we've had numerous studies, fan surveys, sketches, architectural renderings, master plans, new improved master plans, start dates, holds on start dates and presentations to the board. After all that, instead of getting a master plan renovation to JH, we got a huge jumbotron. So now we have a working group on the FOF. All I can say is, that's nice. 

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

10 mil doesn't seem like much from a giant like him, especially when he is worth over 600 million, and makes over 3+ million a year. Now he is small potatoes compared to his other tech counterparts who are worth in the billions. But I think that is Cook's choice. He is somewhat frugal. 

I am sure if other donors give more, he will ante up some more.

I’d love to see you give 3x your yearly salary for the facility. 

It's interesting to see folks donating other people's money.

25 minutes ago, creed said:

It's interesting to see folks donating other people's money.

It’s the American way, just like our congress shows us every day!

4 hours ago, fredst said:

I hope ours turns out better than this. Looks to me like their place is all blurry inside....

This looks like a portal to hell!  Only TAMU can have a stadium that looks like a tackle box from Walmart!

What exactly does it mean to have a working group on this? I will have doubts until construction begins. 

It looks like they’re “adding” steps to the process, instead of “taking” steps in the process!

Jimmy Rane

416x416.jpg?background=000000&cropX1=668
2018 THE RICHEST PERSON IN EVERY STATE NET WORTH
$950M
as of 5/20/18

• I don't see the problem. Donations should be tax deductible also right?

Since this is part of what I do professionally I will chime in.  Most people do not want their name out there when they donate or give.  95% of my clients that have charitable planning do so through what is called "Donor Advised Fund."  These funds mask the names of the donors so they can remain anonymous.  Another route is through the community foundations.  Although it sounds deceiving, when someone sets up a "Private Foundation" you can see exactly who has the foundation by looking up their form 990.  It is a sly way of making sure everyone knows it was you.

The clients that I have who donate to Auburn do not want their names thrown out.  So what you see publicly donated, or if you think they are not donating at all is sometimes untrue.  There is more behind the scenes.  A big part of my job is to make this happen and to mask the true net worth to remain private and protect the children.

A funny rule of thumb as well:  Those that flaunt their money and want people to see them are typically the lower net worth clients, and those that drive 12 year old Suburbans are the ultra wealthy clients because they want no one to know their success.  Next time you see that Ferrari, don't automatically assume they are absolutely loaded.  There is a reason why the richest neighborhood here in Johns Creek went bankrupt in 2009.  Most of the residents could not afford the houses they were in.

17 hours ago, DonDraper said:

I’d love to see you give 3x your yearly salary for the facility. 

And I used to like Don Draper on Mad Men..lol.

..I'd love to see me give 3x my yearly salary too...but my wife would kill me. :)

To many grown men pocket watching in here, wow. Be happy that someone is even willing to donate,Jeez. 

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Since this is part of what I do professionally I will chime in.  Most people do not want their name out there when they donate or give.  95% of my clients that have charitable planning do so through what is called "Donor Advised Fund."  These funds mask the names of the donors so they can remain anonymous.  Another route is through the community foundations.  Although it sounds deceiving, when someone sets up a "Private Foundation" you can see exactly who has the foundation by looking up their form 990.  It is a sly way of making sure everyone knows it was you.

The clients that I have who donate to Auburn do not want their names thrown out.  So what you see publicly donated, or if you think they are not donating at all is sometimes untrue.  There is more behind the scenes.  A big part of my job is to make this happen and to mask the true net worth to remain private and protect the children.

A funny rule of thumb as well:  Those that flaunt their money and want people to see them are typically the lower net worth clients, and those that drive 12 year old Suburbans are the ultra wealthy clients because they want no one to know their success.  Next time you see that Ferrari, don't automatically assume they are absolutely loaded.  There is a reason why the richest neighborhood here in Johns Creek went bankrupt in 2009.  Most of the residents could not afford the houses they were in.

That's why I drive my 2006 Tahoe

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

And I used to like Don Draper on Mad Men..lol.

..I'd love to see me give 3x my yearly salary too...but my wife would kill me. :)

Don is the man!! Lol

Gus Malzahn: ‘The ball is rolling in the right direction’ toward standalone football facility

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Gus Malzahn was excited about the formation of a working group to explore options for a standalone football facility on Auburn's campus.

Gus Malzahn was understandably pleased with the recent news that Auburn president Steven Leath is putting together a working group to explore a standalone facility to house the Tigers’ football program on campus.

The news, which was announced by Leath last week, was music to the ears of Malzahn, who has been yearning for a football-specific complex for years and even donated — together with his wife Kristi — $2 million toward the project last fall.

“It’s exciting, there’s no doubt,” Malzahn said Monday before speaking at the AMBUSH Tour event in Columbus, Ga. “The ball is rolling in the right direction, and it’s very exciting.”

Currently, Auburn’s football team is housed in the school’s athletics complex on South Donahue Drive that was built in 1989. That building isn’t just home to the football team, however; the 100,000-suqare foot facility also hosts the Auburn athletics business office, communications staff, compliance, development, digital media, equipment management, graphic design, IT, marketing and operations, as well as upper-level athletics department administration.

Discussions regarding a standalone football facility have been ongoing for years, and it has long been at the top of Malzahn’s wishlist. Last year, after he and his wife made the donation toward the project, Malzahn said a standalone football facility was “really the only thing we need at this time” from a football standpoint to help the program move forward.

Several SEC programs have built similar facilities in recent years, and many of the nation’s top programs have such buildings. For example, Clemson in 2017 opened a $55 million state-of-the-art football-specific complex.

The working group announced by Leath is intended to explore options for such a complex on Auburn’s campus and provide them to the board of trustees by early fall. Auburn COO Ron Burgess will chair the group, while trustee Mike DeMaioribus, Tigers Unlimited board member Earlon McWhorter and senior leadership from the athletics department and across campus will also participate to help move along a process that has been years in the making.

“I’m excited that our board was in favor of putting the working group together,” Malzahn said. “It’s really exciting that the project is moving forward. I’m really appreciate of our president and our board of trustees.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

this relates to a similar topic suggesting that Malzahn is handcuff from success because he does not have a state of the art complex. I know that this article is not saying this, but it is not going to help Malzahn. By the time such complex is completed, he will than likely gone. It will help recruitment because it will be something flashy to show off. As for Malzahn being an elite coach is questionable. He has proven that he can run an offense as a coordinator but running the whole thing has had ups and downs. A new facility is not going to help that aspect of the game.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:30 AM, auburnphan said:

The biggest issue that I knew of which has been discussed on here is the involvement of Gus.  Some want him involved others don’t think this a coaches place.  They point out that he has never been to any other facility college or pro.  This fact alone annoys many.  Besides Briles Gus has never visited another program.  As they say there is no good reason that Gus has not visited Rams, 49ers, Patriots, Green Bay, etc.  they think he should be in Arizona right now.  How do you improve on your craft without picking others brains and observing.  They point out that coaches don’t visit Auburn anymore as well.  At the very least deploy your assistant coaches to learn new training techniques especially the younger ones with small coaching trees.  Again this what we already know.

my biggest concern is that they need to build a facility with the future in mind for growth down the road.  Future renovations that can be done and keep it state of the art without looking like you are putting lipstick on a pig.   Personally I thought JJ used a lot of lipstick on facilities instead of thought out proper investments which have caused us more money in the long run.  Which also annoys donors.  Auburn Arena was well thought out, but that had to be done because the lipstick on the coliseum was fooling nobody any more.

Others besides CGM could've and should've visited and toured other facilities even as far back as when Jacobs was doing his multiple "feasibility studies" years ago.  It is lazy to have not made arrangements to visit a fellow SEC program, or the Falcons/Saints/Panthers pro facilities by now.

As to other coaches and programs not visiting Auburn anymore.....why should they when there are several programs with much newer and advanced facilities?

On 6/17/2019 at 9:44 AM, AU64 said:

That's a nice contribution.....but far cry from Boone Pickens  (160M+) and Phil Knight (500M) …......but every little bit helps

You really should've just admitted you were wrong here. 

What ever needs to be done to Jordan-Hare needs it now and not 2 or 3 years down the road. That was always Jay Jacobs answer to upgrading the stadium.

Is this topic labeled correctly? I came to the last page to input my opinion about the football facility but something doesn't look right.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

HE looks too much like the Presidential Candidate Corey Booker, who I am not a fan of...:)

Both bald and have the same skin tone. Otherwise, they look nothing alike. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Both bald and have the same skin tone. Otherwise, they look nothing alike. 

I didn't say they were twins..lol..🙄

On a serious note...I kinda of like his coaching...but he sure does seem to do some strange things that get him in hot water...reminds me of Tuberville...

On 6/11/2019 at 1:55 PM, passthebiscuits said:

The future coach is already selected. It’s just a matter of time. The only thing that would muck it up is if Gus somehow pulls a rabbit out of his hat and gets 10 wins. 

You read it here first.

In the years since he's been posting here, I've never seen @passthebiscuits miss the mark very far with his statements. I have, however, seen other insiders miss it 180 degrees. I don't think they were being dishonest, I think they hear things that are still in the planning stages and report them as a finished fact. I think some have been told things in good faith, but their teller was repeating something heard around the water cooler that wasn't fact, it was wishful thinking.

Given that any coaching change is at least six months in the future, I'd say this bears remembering but plans like this can change in a heartbeat, let alone months.

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In the years since he's been posting here, I've never seen @passthebiscuits miss the mark very far with his statements. I have, however, seen other insiders miss it 180 degrees. I don't think they were being dishonest, I think they hear things that are still in the planning stages and report them as a finished fact. I think some have been told things in good faith, but their teller was repeating something heard around the water cooler that wasn't fact, it was wishful thinking.

Given that any coaching change is at least six months in the future, I'd say this bears remembering but plans like this can change in a heartbeat, let alone months.

MANY things change within a program, and not just AU.

I just have a hard time imagining the AU Administration has done their homework, researched and already selected a HC replacement.  Especially after the way things were handled immediately after the IB last year.  Rumors from the Admin leaking out to multiple media members (Tate/Moon/Marshall) what a dysfunctional mess.

Archived