Faciilities Threads (Merged)

GwillMac6

29 minutes ago, keesler said:

MANY things change within a program, and not just AU.

I just have a hard time imagining the AU Administration has done their homework, researched and already selected a HC replacement.  Especially after the way things were handled immediately after the IB last year.  Rumors from the Admin leaking out to multiple media members (Tate/Moon/Marshall) what a dysfunctional mess.

And I don't see this current Admin of Greene and Leath doing it this way. I just don't buy it...

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And I don't see this current Admin of Greene and Leath doing it this way. I just don't buy it...

Agreed.

Leath/Greene are just a drop in the bucket they won't make waves, you know damn well the BOT and big $$ Boosters carry the heavy load in major decision making at AU.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:33 AM, steeleagle said:

Let's not compare ok? I was there during the Mag Dorm years 🤣

Tell me there is better chicken salad than at Mag Deli. I triple dog dare ya! 

(Well, Chicken Salad Chick was embryonic then, but no one could touch Mag at the time!)

If Auburn goes 7-6 or 8-5 or even 9-4, the BOT batter pony up the $ for Malzahn to get on his own bus and drive out of Auburn.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:31 PM, augolf1716 said:

That's why I drive my 2006 Tahoe

That is why I drive a 2014 Club Cart golf cart! Gave up driving due to fantastic financial investments! (lol.....just retired and living on a fixed income!) My angel of a wife does all of the driving in our family!

MODS not sure where this one goes.........................?

expo.al.com

What to know about every Auburn University construction project happening summer 2019

By Lily Jackson | Posted June 25, 2019 at 07:35 AM

Auburn University recently completed $144.6 million in projects and are spending $333.5 million more on current projects. 

From arts and entertainment to poultry science and business, Auburn is expanding its footprint throughout Lee County. Future projects with board-approved budgets will account for later spending at $130.8 million. Since 2010, Auburn has built 3.33 million square feet on campus -- the largest portion of that going to academic or research facilities. 

What's up at other Alabama schools? College Construction 2019

Brown-Kopel Engineering Student Achievement Center

Auburn University Facilities

Brown-Kopel Engineering Student Achievement Center

Architect:  Smithgroup JJR

Contractor:  Rabren General Contractors  

This three-story building will house classrooms, study space, a wind-tunnel laboratory and space for academic advising, tutoring, and professional development. It will connect to the Gavin Engineering Research Laboratory building by way of courtyard. The project’s budget is $44 million and is expected to conclude this summer.  

Student Activities Center Renovation

Student Activities Center Renovation

Architect: The Architects Group

Contractor: Nearen Construction Company 

This project, on the Student Activities Center, is set to finish in late July. It is the second phase that includes the addition of a concession stand, new event space and restroom renovation. The retractable seating in the photo is close to completion and will be for varied uses. The next phase will include the renovation of the smaller restrooms in the center and will begin in early August, according to the university's July construction update. 

Village View Dining Facility Renovations

Village View Dining Facility Renovations

Architect:  Stacy Norman Architects

Contractor: Rabren General Contractors

This $3.8 million investment will revamp over 22,700 square feet of dining space for students and a plethora of prep areas for workers. There will be an all-you-care-to-eat station, dining room improvements, equipment advance and more. The renovated space is supposed to open Fall 2019. 

Poultry Research Farm Unit Relocation

Poultry Research Farm Unit Relocation

Architect:  Ghafari Associates, LLC 

Contractor: Bailey-Harris Construction Company

The relocation project includes three stages of construction. An 18,800 square-foot processing plant, multiple pen-houses, a hatchery, a battery house, a chamber house, a breeding houses and various other structures related to poultry food safety, food quality, animal welfare, processing efficiency and more. The approved budget is $22 million and is expected to finish Fall 2020, according to the university website.  

Goodwin Hall - Band Rehearsal Hall Addition

Goodwin Hall - Band Rehearsal Hall Addition

Architect:  Barganier Davis Sims Architects Associates 

Contractor: Bear Brothers Construction

The Band Building phase, one of three following the renovation of the marching band practice field, will be to add a two-story building to the current facilities across from The Hill dorms. It will include a band rehearsal hall, instrument and uniform storage rooms and support space, according to the university website. The project is a $7.5 million investment and should conclude this fall. 

07c_graduatebusinessnew.jpeg

Graduate Business Building

Architect: Williams-Blackstock Architects 

The Graduate Business Building will add to the growing business education circuit of campus, as a home for the growing population of graduate students in the curriculum. The project budget is $45 million and is expected to open this summer, according to the university website. 

613_gpacnew.jpeg

Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center

Architect: Wilson Butler Architects

The 85,000-square-foot structure will host musical, theatrical, dance and spoken word performances for crowds of more than 1,200 guests. The center will feature a box office, catering kitchen, wardrobe and office spaces. There will also be a small performance venue connected to the outdoor amphitheater, according to the Auburn University website. Construction on the $69.6 million center is expected to end in August. 

8db_poultryinfectiousnew.jpeg

New Poultry Science Research Building

Architect: Foil Wyatt Architects & Planners, PLLC 

Contractor: W.W. Compton Contractor, LLC

The Poultry Infectious Disease Biocontainment Research Facility will add a two-story, 5,000-square-foot building dedicated to research and support space. The new project will be located in North Auburn and will complete this month. The budget is $2.7 million, according to the university website.  

10f_equestriannew.jpeg

Equestrian Facility Improvements

Architect: Goodwyn, Mills & Cawood, INC.

Contractor: J.A. Lett Construction Company

The improvements to the equestrian facilities are 98 percent complete. The first phase included constructing a one-story barn for the national champion team at the university. Lockers and interior finishes were installed. The barn is almost complete with the horse stall installation and sod was laid in early June. The project is expected to cost $5 million, and should complete this month. 

• ellitor changed the title to Faciilities Threads (Merged)

56 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I agree with Brandon on this!!!!

Auburn has gotta step up with its facilities in all sports. We can’t be behind when it comes to this facilities arms race that’s already in effect for years. I for sure don’t wanna see the facilities  ranked last in the SEC either.

We’re on the right track with Auburn’s Equestrian facilities & Auburn Arena, but I also want these to happen:

• State-of-the-art Football-Only Facility 🏈 (Thank God that’s finally happening 🙌🙌)
• Jordan-Hare Stadium North End Zone expansion 🏈
• Renovations to Martin Aquatics Center (Auburn Swimming & Diving) 🏊‍♂️
• Jane B. Moore Field Expansion (Auburn Softball) 🥎
• Plainsman Park Renovations & Expansion (Auburn Baseball)
• A Baseball Facility
• Auburn Soccer Stadium Renovations & Expansion

• Renovations at Hutsell-Rosen Track
• An on-campus hockey arena (or perhaps a civic center in Downtown Auburn) for Auburn’s Hockey team 🏒

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I would like to see how the other schools like Alabama are investing in the college facilities itself like Auburn is.  As in, the non-sports facilities.  It could be argued Auburn spends the most on upgrading the campus to be competitive in business, engineering, veterinary, etc.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I would like to see how the other schools like Alabama are investing in the college facilities itself like Auburn is.  As in, the non-sports facilities.  It could be argued Auburn spends the most on upgrading the campus to be competitive in business, engineering, veterinary, etc.

I mean I have no clue off the top of my head but bama has brought in so much money during the Saban era I am sure they have. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I mean I have no clue off the top of my head but bama has brought in so much money during the Saban era I am sure they have. 

It’s just a curiosity as I know lately there have been gripes about our stadium and football facilities.  After seeing the article above it made me wonder if we are overall spending more than other schools.  It might bring things into perspective.  

Auburn announces members of football facility working group

Updated Jun 28, 10:51 PM; Posted Jun 28, 3:33 PM

3 minutes

Auburn Football

Getty Images

AUBURN, AL - SEPTEMBER 15: A general view of Jordan-Hare Stadium during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the LSU Tigers on September 15, 2018 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

Auburn’s executive director of public affairs, Brian Keeter, announced the members of the working group that was put together to look into options regarding the construction of a football-only facility on the Auburn campus.

The group was announced via Twitter by former Auburn president Steven Leath on June 12. It was on June 21 that Leath and the university parted ways — and that was only two weeks after a board of trustees meeting in which Leath was reportedly instructed to start looking into the football facility, per 247Sports.

Those making up the working group are:

Ron Burgess — Auburn’s executive vice president

Mike DeMaioribus — member of the Auburn Board of Trustees

Earlon McWhorter — member of the Tigers Unlimited Foundation Board

Allen Greene — director of Athletics

Bobby Woodard — senior vice president for Student Affairs

Dan King — associate vice president for Facilities

Beverly Marshall — professor of finance and Faculty Athletics Representative

Carlos Smith — vice president of the Auburn Student Government Association

Van Henley — president of the Auburn Alumni Association

Jerraud Powers — former Auburn and professional football player.

An interesting note here is that in the announcement from Keeter, he only said, “The working group charged with exploring options for an Auburn football facility will soon begin its deliberations with the goal of providing recommendations during the fall semester to the Board of Trustees, Athletics officials and university leadership.”

It was similar language used to Leath, in his announcement Tweet, wher he referred to the recommendations only as “exploring options.”

What’s unclear exactly is what the options are. AL.com followed up with Keeter to get a better understanding of exactly what the group is trying to determine — whether that be specific location, amenities, or viability.

Keeter responded by saying: “Members of the group will specifically define the scope of the work as they begin exploring options.”

The first real plan for the "football only facility" that I've seen...

43f117ea-9186-43cf-8d91-7ded1be24139_1.6804688df631cf48e747b03106475ee7.jpeg

24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

A major project like the one above can only happen after the AD is showered with enough donations. Then they will be able to sink enough money into getting the FOF done. When completed everyone will be flushed with enthusiasm. 

On 6/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, AUsince72 said:

On 6/29/2019 at 1:34 PM, gr82be said:

A major project like the one above can only happen after the AD is showered with enough donations. Then they will be able to sink enough money into getting the FOF done. When completed everyone will be flushed with enthusiasm. 

Image result for applause gif

So here we are still in the planning, exploring and canvasing stages?  

We hear that donations have been stymied due to last football season and uncertainty in the HC position.  Then we hear fundraising is robust and close to 75% of the project has been pledged from donors.  But yet, the committee is still exploring options and they're working on providing recommendations.

Someone please tell me how the current situation is any different than Jay Jacobs numerous feasibility studies or the multiple times he canvased the fan base to see is we really wanted the upgrades and to see if they'd open their wallets?   

Just now, keesler said:

So here we are still in the planning, exploring and canvasing stages?  

We hear that donations have been stymied due to last football season and uncertainty in the HC position.  Then we hear fundraising is robust and close to 75% of the project has been pledged from donors.  But yet, the committee is still exploring options and they're working on providing recommendations.

Someone please tell me how the current situation is any different than Jay Jacobs numerous feasibility studies or the multiple times he canvased the fan base to see is we really wanted the upgrades and to see if they'd open their wallets?   

Because AD Greene just got here and trust is a process. People aren’t going to pay for a product that don’t think is going to result in positivity . I honestly think Gus is the issue . Directly or indirectly, which is why I am starting to feel like sides should’ve parted ways last year!

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because AD Greene just got here and trust is a process. People aren’t going to pay for a product that don’t think is going to result in positivity . I honestly think Gus is the issue . Directly or indirectly, which is why I am starting to feel like sides should’ve parted ways last year!

I really don't see how Gus is the issue, if Gus was at the Board meeting that told then President Leath to move forward with a committee to come up with recommendations to present to them in the fall.

If Gus was creating the problem, then the BOT would have continued stalling and putting the FOF on hold for now. 

Now, Greene said they had over 50% of the funding needed, but I don't know what issues, if any, are keeping them from getting closer to an amount that Greene and the BOT are comfortable with. JMO.

I think the Auburn PTB, Board, Athletic administrators, and Big donors know that building the FOF should have nothing to do with who wants Gus' coaching. The Football program and its competitive future, is forcing us to require a FOF to keep up with recruiting. It seems to be a fact. 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I really don't see how Gus is the issue, if Gus was at the Board meeting that told then President Leath to move forward with a committee to come up with recommendations to present to them in the fall.

If Gus was creating the problem, then the BOT would have continued stalling and putting the FOF on hold for now. 

Now, Greene said they had over 50% of the funding needed, but I don't know what issues, if any, are keeping them from getting closer to an amount that Greene and the BOT are comfortable with. JMO.

I think the Auburn PTB, Board, Athletic administrators, and Big donors know that building the FOF should have nothing to do with who wants Gus' coaching. The Football program and its competitive future, is forcing us to require a FOF to keep up with recruiting. It seems to be a fact. 

Talking about something and actually doing it are two separate issues. Litigation and planning can happen for years, but if you don’t have the funding to get it done then it’s just more talking and stalemating. This is just my opinion, but if we had a different head coach, I can almost bet things would be happening at a rapid pace. Gus has been here for seven years and there is still these same talks. Why? You really think we are waiting around for more recommendations ?! 

Personally, I don’t think this is a Greene or Jacobs issue. We could have Oliver Luck right now, if the people with the money aren’t willing to jump all in, nothing is going to get built. You can have all the litigation and recommendations that you want. 

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Talking about something and actually doing it are two separate issues. Litigation and planning can happen for years, but if you don’t have the funding to get it done then it’s just more talking and stalemating. This is just my opinion, but if we had a different head coach, I can almost bet things would be happening at a rapid pace. Gus has been here for seven years and there is still these same talks. Why?

There just seems to have been entirely too much talking and very little doing as we watch many programs in our conference actually DO IT.

After Chizik brought home our 1st NC in +50 yrs they wouldn't do it, and they wouldn't DO IT after Gus took the team back to the NC game only 3 yrs after Chizik. 

It's been a lot of stalling, stalemates, fundraising, planning, studying, canvasing, going back to the drawing board, and now forming another committee to explore options.  Jacobs petitioned the fan base to gauge if the fans really wanted to upgrade facilities and if they'd be willing to pay for it.  The resounding answer must have been No?

The time to piss or get off the pot was years ago, now AU is so far behind that catching up is all but lost at this point.  JMHO

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Talking about something and actually doing it are two separate issues. Litigation and planning can happen for years, but if you don’t have the funding to get it done then it’s just more talking and stalemating. This is just my opinion, but if we had a different head coach, I can almost bet things would be happening at a rapid pace. Gus has been here for seven years and there is still these same talks. Why? You really think we are waiting around for more recommendations ?! 

Now with some of these comments, I agree. Gus, only giving us 2 out of 6 competitive years, and the others being no more than average, does not help him if he asks for big dollar items for his program. After he played in the SECC game in 2017, and beat 2 #1 teams, that was the time to go for the FOF.

Maybe he did, but then JJ was now out by November of that same year w/ all the coaching controversies (Golloway, Meyers, Person). So with a new President, and now a new AD in 2018, its always going to stall new requests(new facilities, etc). And I think that had more to do with these delays than Gus' won/loss record.

And i am wondering if the lack of a rapid pace, is also due to Greene's need to refocus their spending habits? Just look at now the request for an Athletics program 10% cut.  

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Now with some of these comments, I agree. Gus, only giving us 2 out of 6 competitive years, and the others being no more than average, does not help him if he asks for big dollar items for his program. After he played in the SECC game in 2017, and beat 2 #1 teams, that was the time to go for the FOF.

Maybe he did, but then JJ was now out by November of that same year w/ all the coaching controversies (Golloway, Meyers, Person). So with a new President, and now a new AD in 2018, its always going to stall new requests(new facilities, etc). And I think that had more to do with these delays than Gus' won/loss record.

And i am wondering if the lack of a rapid pace, is also due to Greene's need to refocus their spending habits? Just look at now the request for an Athletics program 10% cut.  

I’m of the opinion that this decision should strictly be based on the future of the football team, no matter who is at AD or HC. I think it is a little bit of both now that you put it this way, so I was wrong on my original comment. 

So it’s unknown how much money has been raised for the facility?

I’m hoping we have a separate buyout fund established too...

It's hard not to believe that TWO "Big Mo's"... (lack of) momentum and motivation...aren't behind the timeline...affecting the other Big Mo...money. If it's there, then the releasing of it. Then, there is the fourth Big Mo...motives. 

When people are excited, money isn't a problem. We are renovating a pretty rough, 2009 ex-military 4200 ft sq. portable, basically unskilled labor, us, to be our first ever owned ministry building since planting WellSpring in 2006. I said rough. Pennies, scale and fiscally, compared to Auburn. But people are excited. Motivation is everything, and it causes momentum. 🙏🌱🙏

(Thank you, John Maxwell.)

Archived