Wesley McGriff back as Secondary Coach

tbone1430

Crime dawgs back! 

Coach Crime Dawg is returning to the Plains.

Auburn is hiring assistant coach Wes McGriff for a second stint on Gus Malzahn’s staff, a source confirmed to AL.com. Auburn officially announced McGriff’s hiring later Wednesday morning.

“I’m very appreciative and excited to be rejoining Coach Malzahn and the staff at Auburn,” McGriff said in a release. “Auburn is a program with outstanding players, coaches and tradition. Coach Malzahn is a great coach and leader and I look forward to helping Auburn win championships.”

McGriff will replace former defensive backs coach Greg Brown, who announced his departure on Tuesday and is expected to take on the same role at Purdue. McGriff spent the past two seasons as defensive coordinator at Ole Miss but was fired at the end of the regular season.

Prior to that, McGriff spent the 2016 season on Malzahn’s staff coaching defensive backs and serving as co-defensive coordinator. Auburn did not specify McGriff’s role on staff, simply referring to him as a defensive assistant. Brown spent last season working with Auburn’s safeties, while Marcus Woodson focused on the cornerbacks.

Under McGriff, Auburn had the nation’s 67th-ranked pass defense, allowing 229.2 yards per game through the air, but the Tigers also touted the nation’s No. 22 pass efficiency defense (116.83) while tying for sixth nationally in total passes defended (80; 69 pass breakups and 11 interceptions).

That season, Auburn also allowed only 144 plays of 10-plus yards, which was down from 190 the prior year (the Tigers allowed 178 such plays last season, which ranked tied for 65th nationally), and gave up touchdowns on just 34.2 percent of opponents’ trips to the red zone. The Tigers also ranked seventh nationally in scoring defense in 2016 (17.1 points per game) with McGriff on staff and 11th in red-zone defense (74.4 percent). Auburn ranked 14th in scoring defense (19.2) and 64th in red-zone defense (82.86 percent) in 2018.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/02/source-auburn-hires-wes-mcgriff-as-assistant-coach.html

Wesley McGriff set to be announced as new secondary coach

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 36 minutes ago 

2 Comments

Wesley McGriff was a DBs coach at Auburn in 2016 before he left to become the defensive coordinator at Ole Miss.  (Photo: Auburn University)

AUBURN, Alabama — The deal is done.

Auburn is expected to formally announce Wesley McGriff as its secondary coach Wednesday, people familiar with the decision tell Auburn Undercover. The move comes after several days of negotiations with Ole Miss regarding the fair-market value of the contract, and the offset total from his buyout after he was fired as Ole Miss' defensive coordinator following the 2018 season.

Greg Brown left Auburn on Friday for Purdue after two seasons as the Tigers' secondary coach. He earned $400,500 per year.

McGriff served one season as a secondary coach for Auburn in 2016, but left to become the defensive coordinator at Ole Miss starting in 2017. The Rebels' defense finished last in the SEC in total defense in 2017 and allowed 36.2 points per game in 2018, ranking last in the SEC and 113th nationally.

McGriff was paid $1.1 million per year at Ole Miss. His salary at Auburn in 2016 was $500,000. He also held the title of co-defensive coordinator at the time.

what do the players think about this? not bashing at all just curious. and do we up the quality of secondary recruits with him?

44 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Does anyone else think there may have been talks with CGM and CWM prior to Brown leaving? I honestly can't wrap my head around why someone would willingly leave AU for Purdue. 

All I got:

Brown actually coached at Purdue during the 1989 and 1990 seasons under Fred Akers.

Brown has ties to Brohm. He coached him for one season in the NFL and also spent three seasons at Louisville.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/football/2019/02/15/report-purdue-football-hires-auburns-greg-brown-cornerbacks-coach/2886338002/

49 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Does anyone else think there may have been talks with CGM and CWM prior to Brown leaving? I honestly can't wrap my head around why someone would willingly leave AU for Purdue. 

It wasn't about AU or Purdue. Brown just moves around a LOT. This is like his 5th job in 6 seasons. In a year or two he will move on from Purdue. That's just how he rolls.

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Some guys are just better as position coaches. 

Agreed.

Or coordinators vs head coaches. Or college coaches vs NFL coaches.

For reference, we can probably look up like 90% of coaches. 

Also, who knows how many ways McGriff's hands might've been tied at that weirdo program with all their problems. Current problems, I mean, in addition to the age old problem of being Ole Miss. 

Great rehire for sure.  Very solid position coach and a good recruiter. I can see him and Woodson teaming up and bringing in even more players out of Mississippi with the ties to HS programs he made while DC at OM.  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed.

Or coordinators vs head coaches. Or college coaches vs NFL coaches.

For reference, we can probably look up like 90% of coaches. 

Or a good bit of Saban’s current and former staffs. 

I approve of this hire!! Excited to see who we pull in secondary wise in this class. We have some great recruiters on the D side. Hell every single one is top notch. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Also, who knows how many ways McGriff's hands might've been tied at that weirdo program with all their problems. Current problems, I mean, in addition to the age old problem of being Ole Miss. 

Ole Miss has traditionally been a hard school to win at unless you cheat.

4 hours ago, toddc said:

The move comes after several days of negotiations with Ole Miss regarding the fair-market value of the contract, and the offset total from his buyout after he was fired as Ole Miss' defensive coordinator following the 2018 season.

That because Ole sis gave him a 3 year $3.?? Million contract fully guaranteed. I am sure they are trying to save some $$

23 minutes ago, fredst said:

WHERE IS @GwillMac6 RAVING ABOUT THIS HIRE IN ALL CAPS?????? WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

*Raving in gif form intensifies!!!!*

tiger.gif

wrerrtrt.gif

qoosa.gif

Archived