Wesley McGriff back as Secondary Coach

tbone1430

I like this hire we know he is a great recruiter and his DB's played pretty well at Auburn. His DB's were not that good at Ole Miss but with what had happened at Ole Miss prior to him joining it would have impacted recruiting.  There is a limit to how much you can improve a player who doesn't have the size, speed and hips that you are looking for in a DB.  

Brown has left the cupboard pretty full at Auburn and because we have same DC, LB coach, and D-Line coach there shouldn't be a huge change in style of play so if he can just concentrate on cleaning up little things in players who he is inheriting and work in new players we should see very good DB play this year. He has the right talent to work with so now we get to see how good of a coach he really is.  I think we will like what we see.

Welcome aboard Crime Dawg.

How did he get the nickname Crime Dawg? There are some great things happening in the "off season", aren't there?  

:AUBig::yay:

7 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

@ToraGirl, remember McGruff, the crime dog, with the tag line “Take a bite out of crime”? I’m too lazy and low on battery to provide a link.  😁

Oh, I do!  Play on his name....Gotcha!   Guessing he don't take no mess outta ner'rn.  All the way back to elementary school!

Glad to have the Crime Dog back!

Good DB coach, excellent recruiter!

As for time at OM, he probably is better suited for a position coach/recruiter role, but their scholarship restrictions didn’t help him at all.  He wasn’t playing with a full deck at OM.  

53 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

He wasn’t playing with a full deck at OM.  

Exactly. Not even close to a full deck. Judging his ability as a DC from his time at Ole Miss isn't a fair judgement of his abilities.

I'm as happy as a possum eating persimmons about this hire. I don't care that it was a familiar hire for Gus. This is NOT like rehiring Grimes.

This hire is about as good as it gets IMO. He left to climb the coaching ladder, found out that position coach might be his ceiling and came back to us. Love it

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This hire is about as good as it gets IMO. He left to climb the coaching ladder, found out that position coach might be his ceiling and came back to us. Love it

I think he might have just chosen the wrong handhold on the rock wall. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a vertical move again in a couple years. That said, you're right, perfect hire. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think he might have just chosen the wrong handhold on the rock wall. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a vertical move again in a couple years. That said, you're right, perfect hire. 

You're right, it's possible. And he may have bigger goals but usually you don't get to fail more than once moving from position coach to coordinator. But, he's a recruiting monster and a reasonable person could conclude that the Ole Miss situation was a no-win situation for a DC anyways so it could certainly happen. But I think he's probably ours for a few years...or until Gus is fired.

Sucks, our awesome defensive staff has to support the most inexperienced offensive staff in possibly the entire country. Grimes probably has more years than the rest of the offensive position coaches combined.

25 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Sucks, our awesome defensive staff has to support the most inexperienced offensive staff in possibly the entire country. Grimes probably has more years than the rest of the offensive position coaches combined.

I think Porter is up there, but of course he coaches a position we don't use. And even then, you might be right. 

And the disparity is bizarre. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think Porter is up there, but of course he coaches a position we don't use. And even then, you might be right. 

Good catch on Porter I somehow forgot about him. Total blunder on my part because he's going to be a very valuable piece to our staff on O considering his experience.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Good catch on Porter I somehow forgot about him. Total blunder on my part because he's going to be a very valuable piece to our staff on O considering his experience.

And for the life of me I can't understand, given how our offense features the tight end position so prominently. 

On 2/20/2019 at 9:04 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Some guys are just better as position coaches. 

Yep...I know of one on our current staff

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It makes sense when you consider that Gus wants to run the offense and stay hands off on defense.  

IF (and that’s a monumentally huge if!!!) Gus can get his groove back and focus on what made him the hot name in coaching several years ago, and delegate other responsibilities appropriately, this could work out brilliantly!

It’s a big and unrealistic stretch, but it’s all we have right now.  

Fred McGriff Atlanta Braves all star infielder.

Image result for pictures of Fred McGriff baseball player

Archived