2020 5* TE Arik Gilbert

ellitor

Notable offers AU, UGA, Vols, Bama, Clemson, Florida, FSU, LSU, Michigan, ND, Ohio St., Oklahoma, Penn St., & USC
Has visited AU a number of times including today
UGA & Vols getting most buzz right now

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless there is a major revamp of our offense with our 2 TE signees this fall I have no idea why this dude would consider AU. Looks like a total stud though....

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Unless there is a major revamp of our offense with our 2 TE signees this fall I have no idea why this dude would consider AU. Looks like a total stud though....

The revamp needed is having a TE who is a good receiver. Something we haven't had since CJU even though he was under utilized. Hopefully Fromm will help out there.

Nice we are on his list. To be honest, UGA has way underutilized their previous 5 Star TE, Isaac Nauta (sp). That being said, I would say we are a longshot here. UT has utilized TE's well in the past. Still the pull to UGA will be hard to overcome. He has a who's, who of schools after him. 

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Might help that our best recruiter on offense coaches TEs. And we have more legit pass catching options at TE this season than we've had since CJ. Fingers crossed.

Who’s CJ Fingers? 😆 sorry 😐 

On 2/21/2019 at 9:03 AM, ellitor said:

The revamp needed is having a TE who is a good receiver. Something we haven't had since CJU even though he was under utilized. Hopefully Fromm will help out there.

IMO this is what nullifies the idea of needing a good receiving TE for us to prove we can use one. Gus had an NFL level pass catching TE for 2 years and and still didn't utilize him like we should've. CJ had 22 catches over 2 seasons with Gus. That's averaging less than 1 catch a game. Yikes. What more does Gus want out of a TE if he's good enough to play in the NFL?

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

IMO this is what nullifies the idea of needing a good receiving TE for us to prove we can use one. Gus had an NFL level pass catching TE for 2 years and and still didn't utilize him like we should've. CJ had 22 catches over 2 seasons with Gus. That's averaging less than 1 catch a game. Yikes. What more does Gus want out of a TE if he's good enough to play in the NFL?

To be fair, Ryan Davis might be the only pass catcher we've maximized since 2014. So it's not just a TE problem.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To be fair, Ryan Davis might be the only pass catcher we've maximized since 2014. So it's not just a TE problem.

Did we even maximize Ryan Davis, though???? I think the only weapons in the pass game that Gus has ever maximized at Auburn was Darvin Adams and maybe Emory Blake 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Did we even maximize Ryan Davis, though???? I think the only weapons in the pass game that Gus has ever maximized at Auburn was Darvin Adams and maybe Emory Blake 

Good point. 

I should say, we threw him a lot of balls.  

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good point. 

I should say, we threw him a lot of balls.  

Yeah...sigh.....our pass game is so suspect and I think it may even regress this year without Chip around to implement some of his own concepts.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Might help that our best recruiter on offense coaches TEs. And we have more legit pass catching options at TE this season than we've had since CJ. Fingers crossed.

Not sure Dilly won't pass him. Dilly is getting rave reviews on the trail & by the staff FWIW.

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Chance to land this guy?

Don't know for sure but if he keeps visiting like he did recently gotta think the chances increase.

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yeah...sigh.....our pass game is so suspect and I think it may even regress this year without Chip around to implement some of his own concepts.

Tin foil hat theory: Gus actually was paying attention and learning, and now Gus can implement Chip's concepts and say they're his. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Tin foil hat theory: Gus actually was paying attention and learning, and now Gus can implement Chip's concepts and say they're his. 

And Dilly will be all

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One thing that can work in our favor in theory is the Bo Nix Effect. On paper Bo is believed to be the best passing QB we had at AU in a good while & better than the QBs of the top contenders that would be throwing Arik the ball in college.

Fromm and Bo are both playing Spring Ball maybe they will develop a feel for each other that will translate to passes thrown and caught on Saturday's. Seeing a TE catching at Auburn would help in recruiting a TE.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:03 AM, ellitor said:

Yeah, I get that to some extent. However, we’ve haven’t targeted a TE enough to say if they are capable or not. Hell, CJ was a potential serious weapon that was criminally underutilized. I’m not sure getting better athletes is going to make that big of a difference. Maybe Dilly can change that....

1 hour ago, fredst said:

However, we’ve haven’t targeted a TE enough to say if they are capable or not.

Not in games. I'm sure it was tried in practice.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I’m not sure getting better athletes is going to make that big of a difference

Probably not but CJ's production was still quite a bit more than anyone since him relatively speaking. Some is better than none.

This guy is a stud of studs. I would love to sign him, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:53 AM, McLoofus said:

Might help that our best recruiter on offense coaches TEs. 

He coached TEs as a grad assistant and 1 year at Memphis. Plus he isn't going to coach TEs here. That's Porter's job. Dilly will be the QB coach at Auburn. Other than recruiting, I'm not sure how much Dilly will have to do with TEs at Auburn. 

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

This guy is a stud of studs. I would love to sign him, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

He coached TEs as a grad assistant and 1 year at Memphis. Plus he isn't going to coach TEs here. That's Porter's job. Dilly will be the QB coach at Auburn. Other than recruiting, I'm not sure how much Dilly will have to do with TEs at Auburn. 

He's calling Porter our best recruiter.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He's calling Porter our best recruiter.

Wow. I sure didn't see that. All I've seen lately are people saying Dilly has taken that role. I've not seen anyone say Porter is our best recruiter. 

Then I apologise for the misunderstanding @McLoofus

Archived