2020 5* TE Arik Gilbert

ellitor

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Wow. I sure didn't see that. All I've seen lately are people saying Dilly has taken that role. I've not seen anyone say Porter is our best recruiter. 

Then I apologise for the misunderstanding @McLoofus

I've seen Porter called a top-level recruiter for a long time now. He's been involved in any number of solid "gets". Dillingham appears to be off to a good start, but the jury on him isn't even seated yet.

PS: Note that he qualified that as "best recruiter on offense".

37 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

He coached TEs as a grad assistant and 1 year at Memphis. Plus he isn't going to coach TEs here. That's Porter's job. Dilly will be the QB coach at Auburn. Other than recruiting, I'm not sure how much Dilly will have to do with TEs at Auburn. 

He was talking about Porter who was the best recruiter on O before Dilly got here. At the time of his post I don't think Loof knew the impact Dilly was having.

Dilly is proving to be one heck of a recruiter. We have Mississippi covered well with Woodson as well.  I really like the direction Gus has gone with his staff. I hope it pays big dividends next season on the football field as well as on the recruiting trail. Gus needs to hold onto his staff  and do what it takes to keep them onboard. IMHO, I think this is the best overall staff top to bottom that Gus has had since becoming the head coach.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Dilly is proving to be one heck of a recruiter. We have Mississippi covered well with Woodson as well.  I really like the direction Gus has gone with his staff. I hope it pays big dividends next season on the football field as well as on the recruiting trail. Gus needs to hold onto his staff  and do what it takes to keep them onboard. IMHO, I think this is the best overall staff top to bottom that Gus has had since becoming the head coach.

Gotta be careful with that holding onto the staff thing; Tommy Tuberville and the BBQ gang let the game pass them by and ended up giving us a miserable 2008 season. IMO, you need a core of coaches who stick around for a while for continuity, but should also encourage your coaches to move up with their careers if they can, to impress other head coaches with their ability and (when they move up) make other promising younger coaches incentive to come here as they move up the coaching ladder. I like having Steele over the defense, because he's highly unlikely to move on, and Garner seems perfectly content to keep churning out great recruits and great D-lines, but seeing McGriff take the DC position at Ole Miss was good, and I wouldn't mind seeing T-Will do the same (even if it's just taking over our D after Steele retires). I'd love to see Dilly move on up to head coach somewhere in a few years, because that will mean we're doing something right on offense, and he's getting credit for it too. 

But yeah, have to have both stability and upward mobility to keep the coaching staff evolving properly.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Gotta be careful with that holding onto the staff thing; Tommy Tuberville and the BBQ gang let the game pass them by and ended up giving us a miserable 2008 season. IMO, you need a core of coaches who stick around for a while for continuity, but should also encourage your coaches to move up with their careers if they can, to impress other head coaches with their ability and (when they move up) make other promising younger coaches incentive to come here as they move up the coaching ladder. I like having Steele over the defense, because he's highly unlikely to move on, and Garner seems perfectly content to keep churning out great recruits and great D-lines, but seeing McGriff take the DC position at Ole Miss was good, and I wouldn't mind seeing T-Will do the same (even if it's just taking over our D after Steele retires). I'd love to see Dilly move on up to head coach somewhere in a few years, because that will mean we're doing something right on offense, and he's getting credit for it too. 

But yeah, have to have both stability and upward mobility to keep the coaching staff evolving properly.

I do see DIlly being a HC down the road in the not too distant future. He could be in the group of Lincoln Riley, Neal Brown, Dino Babers, Matt Campbell, and so forth.  I do not see Chip Lindsay as being an elite HC Just my honest opinion. He could be a pretty good coach. I hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be a very good HC.  I do hope this staff we have will stay here for a while and form a cohesive group that wins us a lot of games. Who knows, in 3 or 4 years Dilly could be our next HC!

On 2/28/2019 at 9:01 PM, doc4aday said:

I do see DIlly being a HC down the road in the not too distant future. He could be in the group of Lincoln Riley, Neal Brown, Dino Babers, Matt Campbell, and so forth.  I do not see Chip Lindsay as being an elite HC Just my honest opinion. He could be a pretty good coach. I hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be a very good HC.  I do hope this staff we have will stay here for a while and form a cohesive group that wins us a lot of games. Who knows, in 3 or 4 years Dilly could be our next HC!

Interesting. Is he that good? How is his actual coaching considered? He seems to have a good personality. Would love for him to turn into a Lincoln Riley.

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Kid will end up at uga. 

Let’s hope not. Kirby has cracked the cheat code.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:07 AM, ellitor said:

He was talking about Porter who was the best recruiter on O before Dilly got here. At the time of his post I don't think Loof knew the impact Dilly was having.

A.B.C. ALWAYS BE CRUTIN!!! WOOO!!! WAR DAMN DILLY!!!!!!

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

A.B.C. ALWAYS BE CRUTIN!!! WOOO!!! WAR DAMN DILLY!!!!!!

Shall we dedicate this page to scrutinizing into minutia why Dillingam didn’t capitalize Auburn but only the University? 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No picture of the dog? 

If he really loved Auburn he would’ve at least shown a picture of his dog. Hired guns are the worst. 

About 6?  More believable if he said "about 5".  He either can't count, is lying, or Gus' weirdness is rubbing off on him.

19 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

About 6?  More believable if he said "about 5".  He either can't count, is lying, or Gus' weirdness is rubbing off on him.

maybe it was code for kicking back and having a sixer of cold ones on the deck!!!!

21 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wat? 

DST got you a little slow today...getting off on tangents with Mikey, not picking up sarcasm...it's OK

• 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Winning has a tremendous effect.

And style of offense displayed weekly.

Using every possible receiver, 4-5 receiving TDS per game, and a QB completing 80% of his passes can sure make an offense look pretty appealing

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Using every possible receiver, 4-5 receiving TDS per game, and a QB completing 80% of his passes can sure make an offense look pretty appealing

Funny thing, by the time Gilbert gets to LSU Burrow will be gone.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Winning has a tremendous effect.

And in this case having a prolific, well thought out passing game does even more.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Funny thing, by the time Gilbert gets to LSU Burrow will be gone.

Will Joe Brady be though? He's the real key to LSU's passing success.

Archived