Random States talk & Trivia

ellitor

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Oregon, Idaho, Montana

Heck of a trip right there. 

We spent a summer in Montana and then drove back to the SE via Washington and the Oregon coast. Trip of a lifetime. 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Heck of a trip right there. 

We spent a summer in Montana and then drove back to the SE via Washington and the Oregon coast. Trip of a lifetime. 

Actually I did make South Dakota....we were in Colorado last year and went to Wyoming and Nebraska....planned to hit Montana but did not make it that far before running out of time. ...barren country...drove from Cheyenne across eastern Wyoming, to South Dakota and down to Nebraska...checking off boxes.......would go for miles and never see a house or car once we were off the interstate.   Was in Washington and Victoria , Canada on a previous trip.....the pacific coast is spectacular.

Rainfall -- the Hawaii guess was correct for #1. But after that comes -- wait for it -- Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

Seattle/Washington state gets a bad rap. They aren't even in the top 25. The deep south pretty much monopolizes rainfall in the U.S., except for Hawaii. When I lived in Florida, it was like the danged tropics. Afternoon heavy rainstorms and 95 degree heat almost every afternoon from spring to fall. Sunshine State my arse!

On 2/28/2019 at 8:29 PM, augolf1716 said:

States lived in AL, GA, FL, MS, NJ, NE, NY, SC, only 8 states but the situation is 3 times in GA, 5 times in FL, 2 times SC, and finally 2 times in NJ

I also did double duty in a few locations -- twice in California (LA area and SF area in different decades), 2 stints in Illinois, 3 different spells in Alabama.

12 hours ago, AURex said:

Rainfall -- the Hawaii guess was correct for #1. But after that comes -- wait for it -- Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

Seattle/Washington state gets a bad rap. They aren't even in the top 25. The deep south pretty much monopolizes rainfall in the U.S., except for Hawaii. When I lived in Florida, it was like the danged tropics. Afternoon heavy rainstorms and 95 degree heat almost every afternoon from spring to fall. Sunshine State my arse!

My friends in Seattle LOVE to perpetuate the rain myth so that nobody will move there.

I'm curious, though, if they separate different types of precip or does snow count in those totals? Sorry. Probably getting too deep into this. 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, AU64 said:

Actually I did make South Dakota....we were in Colorado last year and went to Wyoming and Nebraska....planned to hit Montana but did not make it that far before running out of time. ...barren country...drove from Cheyenne across eastern Wyoming, to South Dakota and down to Nebraska...checking off boxes.......would go for miles and never see a house or car once we were off the interstate.   Was in Washington and Victoria , Canada on a previous trip.....the pacific coast is spectacular.

Indeed it is barren in many of those states. Eastern Colorado, much of SD and ND is very remote. Wyoming is the 4th largest state but has the least population of all 50.

In parts of central Idaho, you will not see a  house for 4-5 miles. I think it is their potato crop area.

Western Nebraska is very barren especially around the Sand Hills area. You talk about getting snow blinded while on the road you take your life in hand driving those roads. 

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, augolf1716 said:

Western Nebraska is very barren especially around the Sand Hills area. You talk about getting snow blinded while on the road you take your life in hand driving those roads. 

Well, there did not seem to be enforced speed limits out there...but some good quality roads so 80+ did not seem uncomfortable....

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well, there did not seem to be enforced speed limits out there...but some good quality roads so 80+ did not seem uncomfortable....

Without a doubt..............but when its 5 below zero with 10' or more snow drifts its easy to get snowblinded plus you want be going 80+. I use to carry my blizzard kit in my car when driving out there

On 3/4/2019 at 8:30 PM, PUB78 said:

Only two, Alabama and Georgia, but have visited all 50.

How did you do that?  Visit all 50....was it intentional?  

The states that I want to go to that I have not been to are Wyoming, Montana, Alaska and the Dakota's.  Want to hunt there, see Yellowstone, Little Big Horn, etc..  I have not been to Iowa, KS, NE, Conn, RI, NH, VT, or Maine...really not planning to go there either.  

4 hours ago, japantiger said:

How did you do that?  Visit all 50....was it intentional?  

Not at first, but as I realized how many states I had visited, my wife and I started exploring other nearby ones while on trips.

I am not a wealthy person of leisure, but have been involved in a professional association for 30 years. Their annual conference is in different locations and I served on their board twice for three year terms. Their quarterly board meetings were also at different locations so we got to go to states we had never visited. The year I was President of this association, I traveled to at least four states I had not visited.

Finally in the Fall of 2017, we took a trip to the last four, Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas.

If I had not been involved with this professional association, I may have made it to about half of the states.

I lived in a state before it became a state! What state was it? Okay, too easy.

I have lived in so many states that I have actually been there (and survived) 3 hurricanes, 2 earthquakes (in different states), countless tornadoes, the worst two winters in a half century, and the hottest summer in decades.

4 hours ago, japantiger said:

The states that I want to go to that I have not been to are Wyoming, Montana, Alaska and the Dakota's.  Want to hunt there, see Yellowstone, Little Big Horn, etc..  I have not been to Iowa, KS, NE, Conn, RI, NH, VT, or Maine...really not planning to go there either.  

If you go to Yellowstone, stay at least 3 days. We only visited it for 2, and I regret we didn’t extend our time their.

You must go to Maine! Their coast and coastal cities are beautiful. Some look like Norman Rockwell painted them. I would go back to Maine in a heartbeat.

Pub78, that's how I visited so many states, because wifey and I really don't do the travel thing much. I taught workshops, served on task forces and committees, and held elected offices in several different professional organizations. I always added a couple of days before and/or after the conference to enjoy the city. That has included some foreign travel as well. And though I am semi-retired, I still do consulting and still enjoy the perk of paid trips to cities around the U.S. and some other countries.

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

Pub78, that's how I visited so many states, because wifey and I really don't do the travel thing much. I taught workshops, served on task forces and committees, and held elected offices in several different professional organizations. I always added a couple of days before and/or after the conference to enjoy the city. That has included some foreign travel as well. And though I am semi-retired, I still do consulting and still enjoy the perk of paid trips to cities around the U.S. and some other countries.

Yes, being involved in professional associations has it advantages! You sound like you do have the same travel plans as we do. I did get to travel to Europe twice the year I was President.

We do some traveling on our own including taking cruises to Hawaii (25th anniversary and son’s graduation from HS, Alaska and two to the islands and Mexico (daughters HS graduation)

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth.” – Mark Twain

Archived