2019 Judi Garmin Classic Fullerton, California

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UF won in the bottom of the 8th on the International Tie Breaker (runner placed on 2nd). Barnhill pitched the 8th in relief. I feel like she'll start against Oregon next.

8 minutes ago, all4AU said:

UF won in the bottom of the 8th on the International Tie Breaker (runner placed on 2nd). Barnhill pitched the 8th in relief. I feel like she'll start against Oregon next.

I know in a multi-team event like this you can't just allow games to go on forever...but I really do not like this rule.....IMO...greatly diminishes the value of the win...and can nullify a good pitching effort by automatically assuming a leadoff double.   Too many ways to score a run from that point without even getting a base hit. ..but probably does accomplish the goal of putting a quick end to the game. 

At the risk of being denounced as an evil radical and a threat to national security, why not just let the game end in a tie?  Can't do that in postseason, obviously, but the occasional game gets left as a tie for reasons of weather or time, anyway.  I think we had one against Troy in 2013 or 2014.  I feel the same way about football for the reason AU 64 stated - takes away from the quality of the game, etc.  Remember the 1996 Auburn - Georgia game?  And while I'm on this rant, let's discontinue interviewing players and coaches.  They have to be way too careful about what they say, and it's all milktoast.  Malzahn is the worst.  Interview a random fan for each side - that would be way more interesting.  Still OK to interview Bruce Pearl. 

22 hours ago, all4AU said:

It is my understanding that teams sign up, and the host does all the scheduling. I don´t know if there is any promise of, ¨we promise at least 2 games against Power 5 opponents¨ etc. The Garman has a strong reputation of a solid field so I would guess for this one, Mickey just signed up knowing it would be tough.

Yep, you just commit to the tourney. Cal State Fullerton is responsible for scheduling. While no guarantees on who you play, there is talk amongst coaches to determine matchups.

17 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Laid out roughly $30 for 1 month  of Flo softball so I could watch the AU games this weekend and avoid the frustration I frequently have with the radio broadcast.  As a "warm up" I have been watching the FLA vs UCLA game.  Overall pleased with the picture quality, adequate narration and minimal on screen score, inning, strike count.  Does not seem to have ability to do replay but camera work has been fine.  

Are they running video for field 2? Just curious as AU has 4 of 5 games in that field. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I know in a multi-team event like this you can't just allow games to go on forever...but I really do not like this rule.....IMO...greatly diminishes the value of the win...and can nullify a good pitching effort by automatically assuming a leadoff double.   Too many ways to score a run from that point without even getting a base hit. ..but probably does accomplish the goal of putting a quick end to the game. 

It's the same for both teams, obviously a big advantage for the home team though. Way better than a tie imo.

5 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

Are they running video for field 2? Just curious as AU has 4 of 5 games in that field. 

Yes they are. UTSA down 1-0 in the bottom of the 2nd, they are the home team.

UTSA pitched their ace against Tennessee (happening right now), she's getting hammered. 11-0 for UT in the top of the 3rd. Their #3 is in in relief. Their #2 looks good though, maybe better than the #1.

42 minutes ago, wildling said:

UTSA pitched their ace against Tennessee (happening right now), she's getting hammered. 11-0 for UT in the top of the 3rd. Their #3 is in in relief. Their #2 looks good though, maybe better than the #1.

Vols run rule UTSA 12 - 2.  Gators beat Ducks (Barnhill vs Dail) 2-1.  Outfield error by Oregon left fielder had impact on the game.  Also there was a very good  catch by Florida center fielder on a ball that would have cleared the fence.  

Very interesting about Taylon. I hope she’s not injured.

I’m not surprised to see Makayla get a start today playing in Southern California. It’ll be interesting to see how long she goes, depending on how the game plays out and what Mickey’s plan is.

McCrakin and Rivera walk on 9 pitches total (Rivera swung after 6 straight balls for some reason). LMU isn't starting their #1. Strike zone looks small.

Audio isn't great right now, I thought it was good in the Tennessee game but I mostly had that on mute.

Veach, Dowell and Perry all hit ground ball outs but Tannon gets an RBI 4 pitch walk somewhere in between those outs to give Auburn a 1-0 lead heading into the bottom of the first.

MM strikes out 2 swinging, 1-2 count to the third batter, she's battling.

EDIT: OW, you can do the play by play if you want.

Maresette with a hard foul ball, then hits a GB single on a 3-2 count to score Podany, who looked like she might have missed 3rd. Maresette takes 2nd on the throw, pitching change incoming, 2-0 Auburn, 1 out in the top of the 2nd.

#3 pitcher in, McCrackin flies out to RF, not deep enough to advance anyone. Rivera singles, Maresette stops at 3rd.

They then try to bait the steal so Maresette can take home, but the throw is cut (I think), they relay to home and Maresette is called out (I know). I'm pretty sure this is at least the 2nd time she's been gunned at home on a first and third play, she doesn't get great jumps I don't think. Going to the bottom of the 2nd, 2-0 Auburn.

9 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I know that's at least the second time we've been caught at that, don't know if it was Maresette both times.

I'm pretty sure it was her.

Flosoftball is f-ing up for me, but Tannon Snow just hit a solo HR to make it 3-0, top of 3, 1 out.

It was her,

, 23:49

End of 3, MM has faced 10 and struck out 5.

The hitting and approaches have been good. LMU saving their ace for Fresno is interesting, basically accepting a loss vs us.

Fornis and Podany are retired to start the 3rd, Maresette up for her 3rd PA.

Maresette pops to 2nd to end our half of the 4th. MM gets a groundout on 2 pitches to start their half of the 4th, 2-2 count now to the 2nd batter.

In other news, Dail is pitching again today after 6 innings vs Florida, so she should hopefully be a bit tired tomorrow. 2-2 Oregon vs CSUF in the bottom of the 5th.

2nd batter of the inning (in our game) bloops a single. 1 out, runner on first, bottom of 4. Four stick up.

Archived