2020 4* LB Desmond Tisdol Commits to AU!

ellitor

I think we have our speed lbr in Papoe for the next two to three years, but that’s the lbrs teams are after in order to play against spreads. Not that I know what I’m talking about.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

He has a lot of speed and I love that but that doesn’t always mean the prospect  will turn out to be the best linebacker. Frost was a freak athlete and really wasn’t good at linebacker till his senior year.

Had to go and slap that back in my face now didn't you!😁😎

Like Mikey I like linebackers but for a different reason then Mikey. There are three parts to a football team Offense, Defense, and Special Teams. Winning Special Teams has won Auburn some big games in the past. Line Backers are ideal special teams players they are fast, physical and have a mean streak.  If we sign Steiner we probably won't have room in this class for Tisdol but If there is an available slot we need this type of player. With his speed and size he would be a great Special Teams player who would also be a really good linebacker 

• Like 2

I've spoken about the value of LB's on special teams before. I think we should take Tisdol along with the others. We can make room, we start with 27 or 28 slots on the annual limit.

• Like 2

I like Tisdol as much as the next guy. He is a turnover causing machine but safetys and corners make good special team tacklers too. Our numbers are low there so hopefully we can fill that need and still fit Tisdol in too.

Edited by AU80cruiser
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:24 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Looks like he won't get a spot at AU. Hate that. Kid loves AU and is going to be good.

It's been said on this forum that the first to commit (Steiner or Tisdol) would get the slot. If that was true and Tisdol does love Auburn then I wonder why Tisdol didn't commit weeks ago?

FWIW, I hope we take both. We can make room for both.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's been said on this forum that the first to commit (Steiner or Tisdol) would get the slot. If that was true and Tisdol does love Auburn then I wonder why Tisdol didn't commit weeks ago?

FWIW, I hope we take both. We can make room for both.

Coaches liked Steiner more and held him off from committing.. Hate it for Tisdol as I think he a is a "football player" but AU has some absolute monsters committed at LB. Could be the best LBer class in school history. Unreal. T-Will is a stud.

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

As far as taking Tisdol also, just don't have the room.

I'd make room. Fortunately for AU, I'm not in control!

21 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I like Tisdol as much as the next guy. He is a turnover causing machine but safetys and corners make good special team tacklers too. Our numbers are low there so hopefully we can fill that need and still fit Tisdol in too.as he has done many times in the past and which 

From what others have said it will be tough sledding for DB's because this is a weak class. assuming we sign one RB, 2 more O-line, 3 DB's, 4 DL's I believe we still would have room for Tisdol especially if any of them are early arrival as I believe we have room for one more in last years class.  I could be wrong and if I am E will correct me as he has done many times in the past of which I am most appreciative.  I think we can fit him but we won't know for sure until later in the cycle and a player as good as he is may not be available by then. That makes it a very tough call for the coaches. That is why I am glad I am a poster who doesn't have to make those type choices but can comment on what a good or bad choice it was after the fact.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

As far as taking Tisdol also, just don't have the room.

This is where we want to be. Having to make tough decisions about who we can fit into the class.

WDE to Tisdol. Sounds like he's headed for a good football career no matter what. He'll get on somewhere cool and ball out and meet a few girls and be totally good. 

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I believe we have room for one more in last years class.

I believe we have two or three "carryover" slots, which brings us up to 27 or 28 slots for the upcoming signing periods. Note: I have yet to sit down with pencil and paper and make marks about slots, but 27 or28 is what I'm thinking.

37 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Coaches liked Steiner more and held him off from committing.

Interesting. JLee says they didn't ask Tisdol to hold off & would have taken his commitment last week. I know JLee being the source means it's iffy but still worth sharing a different view.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Interesting. JLee says they didn't ask Tisdol to hold off & would have taken his commitment last week. I know JLee being the source means it's iffy but still worth sharing a different view.

They have put him off at least twice.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

From what others have said it will be tough sledding for DB's because this is a weak class. assuming we sign one RB, 2 more O-line, 3 DB's, 4 DL's I believe we still would have room for Tisdol especially if any of them are early arrival as I believe we have room for one more in last years class.  I could be wrong and if I am E will correct me as he has done many times in the past of which I am most appreciative.  I think we can fit him but we won't know for sure until later in the cycle and a player as good as he is may not be available by then. That makes it a very tough call for the coaches. That is why I am glad I am a poster who doesn't have to make those type choices but can comment on what a good or bad choice it was after the fact.

Likely to take at least 4 DBs IMO. Now whether they come all from HS or some from juco or Grad Transfers remains to be seen. I don't think we will have room for Tisdol barring losing a LB commit or not meeting positional wants at another position. The working number on the max of this class is 27. Set 1 or 2 aside as Gus likes having a spot or 2 for transfers, so we're basically looking at 25-26. We have 13 committed. Looks like the staff may want 1 more QB, 1-2 RB, 1 TE, 2-3 OL, 3-4 DL, & 4 or more DBs.At minimum the staff wants to take at least 24 counting the commits & other positional wants. If 1-2 spots are set aside for transfers then we would have only 1-2 openings to take a 2nd QB in the class, a 2nd RB in the class, a 7th OL in the class, a 5th DL in the class, or a 5th DB in the class.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If 1-2 spots are set aside for transfers then we would have only 1-2 openings to take a 2nd QB in the class, a 2nd RB in the class, a 7th OL in the class, a 5th DL in the class, or a 5th DB in the class.

This is why I would take Tisdol. Thinking we can put him to better use than a 7th OL, 5th DL, etc.

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I believe we have two or three "carryover" slots, which brings us up to 27 or 28 slots for the upcoming signing periods. Note: I have yet to sit down with pencil and paper and make marks about slots, but 27 or28 is what I'm thinking.

It's 27 if Kamaar Bell enrolls. 28 if he doesn't get in. We have enrolled 20 from the last signing class plus 2 transfers came in on scholly. That's 22 from 2019 & will be 23 if/when Bell arrives.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

They have put him off at least twice.

Thanks as always! I appreciate your candor & wish Keith would be blunt like that when he knows something like that.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Thanks as always! I appreciate your candor & wish Keith would be blunt like that when he knows something like that.

I imagine he has to err on the side of diplomatic caution in those situations in order to be able to continue to get the scoops. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, tbone4jc said:

Had to go and slap that back in my face now didn't you!😁😎

Not at all my friend. It was a reminder to everyone, including myself because I love Steiner's athleticism, that pure athletes don't always pan out to be good players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's 27 if Kamaar Bell enrolls. 28 if he doesn't get in. We have enrolled 20 from the last signing class plus 2 transfers came in on scholly. That's 22 from 2019 & will be 23 if/when Bell arrives.

Well then, our numbers agree. :)

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

If he will commit, we should take him.  I'd rather have a stud linebacker now than a possible 7th OL slot or 5th DB slot that we may or may not be able to fill with a quality player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I imagine he has to err on the side of diplomatic caution in those situations in order to be able to continue to get the scoops. 

there you go making sense again...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Well then, our numbers agree. :)

Thought you hadn't put pencil yo paper yet?...:tease:

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is why I would take Tisdol. Thinking we can put him to better use than a 7th OL, 5th DL, etc.

1 minute ago, Cardin Drake said:

If he will commit, we should take him.  I'd rather have a stud linebacker now than a possible 7th OL slot or 5th DB slot that we may or may not be able to fill with a quality player.

Pretty reasonable positions.

The only disagreement I have is at OL. We have 3 incoming freshmen so far and we need a 2nd JUCO OL IMO. That's 5, with only 3 freshmen. I personally think we need another freshman tackle (Wright, hopefully) and a guy with potential to start at center. 

I'm sure Bird will fight you on DBs....