2020 4* LB Desmond Tisdol Commits to AU!

ellitor

58 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Reminiscent of past offensive line recruiting, passing on serviceable recruits early in hopes of signing the big stud. When the stud commits elsewhere, the serviceable recruit is often no longer available either. 

Except those serviceable OLs didn’t have grade concerns in most cases.

10 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

That’s just part of recruiting. You’re supposed to go after the big fish. What if the big recruit wanted to come to us but our spots are already filled with just serviceable guys? You tell the big recruit to go somewhere else?

No. You take the big fish and then you ask someone else to gray shirt.

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

So Malzahn's past method of recruiting offensive lineman has been good strategy? Glad to know that as most others seem to think otherwise.

Besides where in my post did I infer Auburn not go after the big fish?

Relax. Sizzle just made a simple calm reply

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Have we forgotten he has grade concerns? No point in accepting a commitment from a kid unless you feel at least decently well that he will qualify. If he signs but doesn’t qualify it does us absolutely no good. I’m all for taking him if his grades pan out. Until then we need to be patient.

I bet if he signs with UGA his grades will allow him to qualify. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

This.

11 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I know that’s in reference to Pickens but he still would’ve qualified if he came to Auburn also.

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Our LB situation is very solid. 

And yet we’re still planning to take a 3rd LB whether it be Tisdol or someone else we feel that can qualify.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

And yet we’re still planning to take a 3rd LB whether it be Tisdol or someone else we feel that can qualify.

Correct but the situation isn't dire. We could afford a smaller class if it were to present.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Correct but the situation isn't dire. We could afford a smaller class if it were to present.

You do know Mikey can hear you, right?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Agreed, would love to have Tisdol if possible though. More concerned about the Cohen leaving (though we have quantity in OL recruiting). Would very much love seeing us pickup the NC qb and fill out the DL portion of the class. Coe/Davidson/Brown is a huge amount of loss on the DL.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Coe/Davidson/Brown is a huge amount of loss on the DL.

It’s not a given Coe will leave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

It’s not a given Coe will leave

Glad to hear it. I really don't think he should after this season.

Just now, bigbird said:

I'd advise him to stay

Same here. But we've seen kids leave early that shouldn't have. Honestly Holland could have enjoyed another year (I think T-Zach/Darvin Adams/Emory Blake all left early too IIRC). 

18 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

How many guys have grey shirted for us tho?

We haven’t been in a position to land a big fish surprise late to where we have to ask one of our commits to gray shirt.

5 hours ago, Sizzle said:

How many guys have grey shirted for us tho?

None. Basically, a gray shirt as outlined above means you told the kid he had a scholarship, then a bigger fish came along and we pulled the offer. I hope Auburn doesn't ever do this.

There are other ways to have someone gray shirt, but the way it's stated above means you lied to the kid.

Edited by Mikey

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Mikey doesn't hear anyone

I hear those whose opinions I may somewhat value and scroll past those few whose opinions are meaningless. Saves a lot of time.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

None. Basically, a gray shirt as outlined above means you told the kid he had a scholarship, then a bigger fish came along and we pulled the offer. I hope Auburn doesn't ever do this.

There are other ways to have someone gray shirt, but the way it's stated above means you lied to the kid.

Recruiting’s a dirty game. It’s nothing but lies for the most part

Just now, Sizzle said:

There are lies, then there are damn lies. I put telling someone they have a scholarship offer and then jerking the offer as Saban has frequently done into the latter category. I hope we don't start that practice.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

gray shirt as outlined above means you told the kid he had a scholarship, then a bigger fish came along and we pulled the offer

That’s straight up wrong and as closely as you follow recruiting you should know it TBH. The offer does not get pulled in a gray shirt. It gets delayed one semester to the next January so the commit can count to the next class of 25 enrollees.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There is one way only to gray shirt and it was just outlined above. Pulling an offer for a commit to bring in a higher target is definitely lying to the commit but it is not a form of gray shirting.

11 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It’s a big game of chicken on both sides unfortunately. But in most cases that has nothing to do with gray shirting.

• Like 1