2020 4* LB Desmond Tisdol Commits to AU!

ellitor

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That’s straight up wrong and as closely as you follow recruiting you should know it TBH. The offer does not get pulled in a gray shirt. It gets delayed one semester to the next January so the commit can count to the next class of 25 enrollees.

When you told the kid he'd have a scholarship and then withdraw the offer, you have pulled the offer. Saying it will be there next year isn't the same thing. You've lied to him, pure and simple. Most kids put into this situation look for another place to go and usually find one. Only a very low rated prospect or one who is in love with a particular school would put up with such deceit.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

When you told the kid he'd have a scholarship and then withdraw the offer, you have pulled the offer.

To me an offer being withdrawn means you don't have a scholly set aside for you at all at any point. That's different than waiting 1 semester to go on scholly, which is is what a grayshirt is.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Saying it will be there next year isn't the same thing. You've lied to him, pure and simple.

It's not the next year academicaly. It's the next damn semester Mr. Hardhead. And in grayshirting it's only a lie if you told the recruit in their recruiting process they would definitely be on scholly before the January after they finish high school.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Most kids put into this situation look for another place to go and usually find one. Only a very low rated prospect or one who is in love with a particular school would put up with such deceit.

While it's true most recruits look elsewhere when they are a grayshirt candidate, it's because they want to be on scholly right away & not have to wait a semester. There can be deceit in wanting to grayshirt a commit as in the example I posted above but it's nowhere near a necessity. Coaches can communicate to commits they may be a grayshirt candidate honestly & openly. It can be but doesn't have to be deceitful.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

To me an offer being withdrawn means you don't have a scholly set aside for you at all at any point. That's different than waiting 1 semester to go on scholly, which is is what a grayshirt is.

The Philon (sp?) kid from Mobile that cried on TV during his signing ceremony because UAT had jerked his scholarship offer and changed it to a gray shirt at the last minute certainly felt deceived. He had to sign a blank piece of paper for the TV cameras. Arkansas got a good player in him.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

It’s a big game of chicken on both sides unfortunately. But in most cases that has nothing to do with gray shirting.

This might be the most succinct definition of college football recruiting ever stated! GOLD STAR ️ for @ellitor

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Interesting the only team reporter he mentioned in his tweet is Keith. He knows reporters covering other schools too.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been rumors flying around since last summer that Tisdol wants to commit to AU but he's not a take for us. I guess we'll see on the 18th.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There have been rumors flying around since last summer that Tisdol wants to commit to AU but he's not a take for us. I guess we'll see on the 18th.

I’d imagine he’s a take now.

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

I can buy that maybe he only became a take after Simpson jumped ship. If Tisdol didn't become a take the day after that happened someone on the defensive staff was asleep at the wheel.

17 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

If he is committing and signing on the 18th that’s not good for Auburn. Auburn wants him to sign in February and take an Ovi to Auburn in January.

10 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Could be wrong but I don’t think so. I think the staff is wanting to see his grades after this semester before truly being ready to take him.

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Could be wrong but I don’t think so. I think the staff is wanting to see his grades after this semester before truly being ready to take him.

Interesting. I figured with the in house visits with him that the staff was ready to take him. 

I’ve heard the grades thing too. He had an OV to AU scheduled, cancelled it, and scheduled his announcement before the date we wanted him to OV. He’s not coming here, and I suspect he’s not a take for us. 

Niehbur keeps on hinting that we will get Tisdol. Well at least in his own special verbiage! Lol. Personally I would love love loooove for him to be in this class. Wooooooo!!!!!!!! Let's freaking go!!!!!! War Damn!!!!

Edited by GwillMac6

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Niehbur keeps on hinting that we will get Tisdol. Well at least in his own special verbiage! Lol. Personally I would love love loooove for him to be in this class. Wooooooo!!!!!!!! Let's freaking go!!!!!! War Damn!!!!

Lets hope Neihbur is correct!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Niehbur keeps on hinting that we will get Tisdol.

And JLee is saying the opposite. He says AU is out if Tisdol signs this month. Normal rule of thumb is go with Keith but this time it feels like JLee has the better info.

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And JLee is saying the opposite. He says AU is out if Tisdol signs this month. Normal rule of thumb is go with Keith but this time it feels like JLee has the better info.

If rumors are to be believed, Tisdol wanted to commit to AU all through the year and we slow played him and wouldn't accept his commitment. I couldn't fault him if he felt like going elsewhere. However: He kept showing up as an unofficial visitor at AU games, so he's been spending money out of his own pocket to come here.

I think if he does indeed have a firm, commitable offer he'll choose AU. Whether he has that offer or not is something we aren't likely to learn unless he signs with us.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

It sounds like to me J Lee has the old info Keith had. Keith is saying it is no big deal he cancelled his OV this weekend because AU wanted him to do so. Then he starts going in to his Niehburisms about our chances of getting him which usually a good sign on if AU gets the prospect or not. Either wayWe will find out very shortly. Hope KN is right here.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

It sounds like to me J Lee has the old info Keith had. Keith is saying it is no big deal he cancelled his OV this weekend because AU wanted him to do so. Then he starts going in to his Niehburisms about our chances of getting him which usually a good sign on if AU gets the prospect or not. Either wayWe will find out very shortly. Hope KN is right here.

KN is still saying AU is monitoring his grades though & he still has work to do. That doesn't sound like an AU take on December 18th to me.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

KN is still saying AU is monitoring his grades though & he still has work to do. That doesn't sound like an AU take on December 18th to me.

I personally have not seen him say that this week. He keeps saying AU has a real shot here among other things.

35 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I personally have not seen him say that this week. He keeps saying AU has a real shot here among other things.

Yeah. JLee now saying AU will definitely take a 3rd LB this class, either Tisdol or Eric Shaw but also made it sound like AU is not pushing for Tisdol yet.

I’d love to have Tisdol. Hoping the grades work out and all things work out. 

• Thanks 1