5 Newcomers to watch

Auburn2Eugene

Auburn Football: 5 Newcomers to Watch for the Tigers

By Ryan Wright, 2/27/19, 10:15 AM EST
BoNix_Elite11_submitted_1.jpg?itok=DoGvf

Bo Nix could emerge as Jarrett Stidham's replacement at quarterback even though he's a true freshman

Success tends to breed contempt, and that scorn for Auburn fans not only extends to bitter rival Alabama but also to head coach Gus Malzahn for not consistently defeating the Crimson Tide with national championship banners flying high in Jordan-Hare Stadium. The 2017 season saw the Tigers break a three-game losing streak to Bama but the '18 campaign put their embattled coach back on the hot seat after an 8-5 (3-5 SEC) showing that included a 52-21 trouncing by the eventual conference champion and runner-up in the College Football Playoff. If Auburn’s senior-laden squad can make some noise in 2019, they will need a few incoming talents to help carry this team to the finish line.

The War Eagles have consistently recruited well under Malzahn, even if the rankings are not on par with their SEC counterparts. The 2018 class was ranked 12th in the nation and the coaching staff improved on that with a bump up one spot for this cycle. The collection of players coming to The Plains is impressive — two five-stars, 12 four-stars, and seven three-stars in the 21-man class. Aiding in the possibility of turning true freshmen into immediate impact players, nine recruits enrolled early and are already on campus.

Based on skill and position of need, which five Class of 2019 recruits are the top newcomers to watch for Auburn?

Bo Nix, QB

With two-year starter Jarrett Stidham off to test his talents in the NFL, there will be a quarterback battle at Auburn this spring. The top contenders appear to be Malik Willis, Joey Gatewood, and Nix. Nix comes to Auburn about as decorated as one can be — a five-star recruit, an All-American, and the 2018 Alabama Gatorade Player of the Year. His high school career set an Alabama state record for all-time passing yards with more than 12,000, 3,795 of those during his senior year, while throwing for 127 touchdowns to go along with 34 rushing scores. As the son of a former Auburn quarterback, Patrick Nix, also his high school football coach, Bo Nix’s understanding of the game should rival his peers on the Tigers' roster.

As a legacy, Nix’s recruitment was not overwhelming with 18 reported offers. His commitment to Auburn in January 2018 helped keep other college coaches away.

Owen Pappoe, OLB

There is a new breed of defender coming up through the ranks, and Pappoe might be that ideal player in the new role. With college defenses needing athletic linebackers who can stuff the run, defend against the pass, and chase down dual-threat quarterbacks before they get going, the 6-foot, 210-pound standout from Lawrenceville, Georgia, was sought after by 44 schools. Pappoe shinned at national camps, posting a jaw-dropping 4.47 laser-timed 40-yard dash. He used that speed and athleticism to rack up 112 tackles, 14 tackles for a loss, and four sacks as a senior.

Auburn’s linebacking corps was all seniors in 2018, meaning every job is open this spring. Another early enrollee, Pappoe will be given plenty of chances to show why he was the top-rated outside linebacker in his class.

Zion Puckett, DB

Puckett was a do-everything kind of athlete for Spalding (Ga.) High School throughout his senior season. He was electric out of the backfield, averaging a robust nine yards per carry and 10 yards per reception. Where his athleticism will be used in college is in the secondary, as he currently projects to be a corner but possesses the size (6-0, 200) of a safety. He compiled 37 tackles with two tackles for a loss and also picked off a pass in 2018 even with teams scheming against him. Auburn’s secondary was lined with juniors last season. Puckett should see plenty of snaps in the secondary during spring practices to see where he can make an impact in 2019.

The desire to land Puckett was widespread with 33 total offers extended. He committed to Auburn this past August over offers from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, and Stanford.

Keiondre Jones, OG

Jones is an overpowering guard who has dwarfed his competition to this point in his career. As a run blocker, the 6-foot-4, 340-pound lineman is a pile mover. If he can shed some bad weight over the offseason and come to fall camp ready to compete, he could challenge for a starting spot while providing needed depth in the trenches.

The four-star Callaway (Ga.) High School standout was a top-10 prospect at his position (247Sports) and earned Under Armour All-American honors. Jones picked Auburn over 26 other offers, turning down opportunities from seemingly every top program in the nation.

D.J. Williams, RB

Williams (5-11, 210) was the ultimate Wildcat quarterback during his senior year at Sebring High School, tearing apart 6A Florida defenses with his speed and athleticism. He ran for 1,221 yards with 21 touchdowns and threw for another 1,113 with 13 more scores going up on the board. The speed and burst of quickness Williams has through the hole was missed on Auburn’s roster a year ago. Williams could challenge JaTarvious Whitlow and Kam Martin for playing time. An early enrollee, Williams will get extra practice time this spring to pick up the offense before fall camp. Expect his versatility of understanding offenses with the potential for a tailback pass to be utilized here and there under the direction of Malzahn.

Williams had 20 offers to choose from before committing to and signing with Auburn. He was flipped away from Appalachian State two days before the early signing period in December. Official visits also were also taken to Miami, Alabama, and Georgia.

— Written by Ryan Wright, who is part of the Athlon Contributor Network and an established media professional with more than two decades' worth of experience and is a member of the FWAA. Over the years, Wright has written for numerous sites and publications and has his own recruiting site, www.recruitingnewsguru.com. Follow him on Twitter @RyanWrightRNG.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/auburn-football-5-newcomers-watch-tigers-2019

Fun read.    I think what is also amazing, if my facts are right, Bo Nix (the quarterback mentioned (ha ha) ), threw 3700 yds his senior yr without a sack.   That is amazing pocket presence, peripheral vision, luck or whatnot.   I've never heard of such a stat.

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm really excited about the CB we got out of Virginia. Cam-Ron or something like that.....he should be a good one

I've heard mix reviews about him. Will be interesting to watch. Puckett is the truth I'm told. Clemson wanted him bad. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Clemson wanted him bad.

I've learned to trust their evaluations. Good sign for AU they really wanted Smoke and Puckett.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I've heard mix reviews about him. Will be interesting to watch. Puckett is the truth I'm told. Clemson wanted him bad. 

What are those reviews saying? He has great size for a CB and was an EE so seemed like a good candidate to make and early impact

DJ Williams sounds like a Whitlow clone.

D/T QB turned RB now, with similar size and build as Whitlow.

Hope he doesn't require the same learning curve as Whitlow needed, to be a full time RB. 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

DJ Williams sounds like a Whitlow clone.

D/T QB turned RB now, with similar size and build as Whitlow.

Hope he doesn't require the same learning curve as Whitlow needed, to be a full time RB. 

Williams ran it a TON in high school and was recruited strictly as a RB. Whitlow was brought in as an ATH/WR. Not sure how much he ran it in high school. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Williams ran it a TON in high school and was recruited strictly as a RB. Whitlow was brought in as an ATH/WR. Not sure how much he ran it in high school. 

here are Whitlow's HS senior stats...passed for 2,292 yards, 29 touchdowns and rushed for 2,147 yards, 30 touchdowns as a senior

He ran quite a bit. That is why I was concerned if DJW was going to need a RS year like Whitlow required. Hope not..

29 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

here are Whitlow's HS senior stats...passed for 2,292 yards, 29 touchdowns and rushed for 2,147 yards, 30 touchdowns as a senior

He ran quite a bit. That is why I was concerned if DJW was going to need a RS year like Whitlow required. Hope not..

I hear what you're saying, but I'll mention again that Whitlow was an "ATH" who we recruited as a WR and was only moved to RB after he got here. Also, he was a 3* with very few offers.

Williams was a 4* with offers at RB from Clemson, uga, Texas and Michigan, among many others. 

You are correct about the similarities between their metrics and high school resumes, but they were considered very different prospects by all the recruiting services and colleges, including us. 

We are technically called the Auburn Tigers or “The Plainsmen” iirc! You would think writers, who aren’t lazy,  could look this stuff up.

I would like the see Handy, Moore, and Hall see playing time in 2019. I know Moore has some work to do with the grades, but I hope he will be good to go with the rest of the DE & DL signees. I think this group could be special before their playing days are over.

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

man you need a small column once a week or so to give us those tidbits that no one might ever know or hear about spring ball, the football season, and recruiting. we already have an ace in the hole in recruiting and i believe we are damn lucky to have mr ellitor. and i believe your info would be a fun read as well. like who might be struggling and who is shinning at practice. who on d might be mean enough to slap yo mam so to speak. i just enjoy a lot of what you say. you call it tidbits from the water cooler or something much nicer. just a thought. and curious.............you ever play golf in golf? and how bad did he stomp the behind? and did he have a playboy bunny as a caddy? lol i might have a slight buzz but i am still serious........

51 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

man you need a small column once a week or so to give us those tidbits that no one might ever know or hear about spring ball, the football season, and recruiting. we already have an ace in the hole in recruiting and i believe we are damn lucky to have mr ellitor. and i believe your info would be a fun read as well. like who might be struggling and who is shinning at practice. who on d might be mean enough to slap yo mam so to speak. i just enjoy a lot of what you say. you call it tidbits from the water cooler or something much nicer. just a thought. and curious.............you ever play golf in golf? and how bad did he stomp the behind? and did he have a playboy bunny as a caddy? lol i might have a slight buzz but i am still serious........

A buzz and no cap button!

1 minute ago, toddc said:

A buzz and no cap button!

the no caps is me being lazy. try not to blame it  on my buzz.

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

DJ Williams sounds like a Whitlow clone

Much higher potential ceiling.  Much more of a pure and natural running back than Boobee. D.J. had played running back before his one year quarterback last year.

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

He ran quite a bit. That is why I was concerned if DJW was going to need a RS year like Whitlow required. Hope not

He won’t but knowing Gus’s history he might get it anyway.

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Williams was a 4* with offers at RB from Clemson, uga, Texas and Michigan, among many others

Also Bama was going to go balls to the wall after him had they missed on Trey Sanders. Bama sees D.J. as a top-five running back overall in the class. Doesn’t get much more complementary on potential than that

5 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m shallow.

He lost me at “The War Eagles...”

You might be but that’s not petty. I hate when reporters do that. We are the tigers and our battle cry is war Eagle you collective dumbasses.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

@aubiefifty Go to his profile page and click on  The green follow button. You will then get notified in every thread he posts in.

Archived