Sign in to follow this  
DAG

Stidham

Recommended Posts

So...didn’t anyone watch JS in the all star QB challenge for QB accuracy? He is leading right now. He hit two moving targets which was pretty dang good haha. Hopefully he can continue representing and make himself some money at the combine.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




43 minutes ago, DAG said:

So...didn’t anyone watch JS in the all star QB challenge for QB accuracy? He is leading right now. He hit two moving targets which was pretty dang good haha. Hopefully he can continue representing and make himself some money at the combine.

If he had the right mindset this past season, even with OL issues, no telling the convo we’d be having right now. Not a championship team, but probably a 9+ win team with an engaged JS

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to know exactly what happened with him this year. Between running for his life every other play and getting engaged, I suppose his mind was elsewhere. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is one of the most accurate qbs ever within 20 yards when he is not under pressure. 

I do wish him the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DAG said:

Looks like trace out of penn state ended up winning it however.  JS got second 

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshVitale/status/1090045874804310016/photo/1

 

WAIT from that tweet this happened back in January?! I thought this happened tonight! I FEEL BAMBOOZLED!!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?! lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WAIT from that tweet this happened back in January?! I thought this happened tonight! I FEEL BAMBOOZLED!!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?! lol

Take it up with Twitter. All the tweets seem to have that issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I would love to know exactly what happened with him this year. Between running for his life every other play and getting engaged, I suppose his mind was elsewhere. 

I am taking the Knight's Watch vow right here and now. I proclaim an oath. To watch over each and every thread on this forum if I must.

Just to continually point out that JS wasn't under that much diress this year. It was mostly his fault for being skittish. 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DAG said:

So...didn’t anyone watch JS in the all star QB challenge for QB accuracy? He is leading right now. He hit two moving targets which was pretty dang good haha. Hopefully he can continue representing and make himself some money at the combine.

The man could be the greatest 7 on 7 QB to ever live. He is Joe Montana if you promise him he won't be touched.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Just to continually point out that JS wasn't under that much diress this year.

Not sure what JS you're talking about but this thread is about Jarrett Stidham, who played for the Auburn Tigers in 2018.

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DAG said:

Take it up with Twitter. All the tweets seem to have that issue 

dag from yo pic i believe you might be sick? go see the doc dag you might be spreading those cooties in here........lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure what JS you're talking about but this thread is about Jarrett Stidham, who played for the Auburn Tigers in 2018.

Yes. We are talking about the same young man. The guy who gets Barney Fyffe-level spooked in the pocket.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yes. We are talking about the same young man. The guy who gets Barney Fyffe-level spooked in the pocket.

How he reacted to the duress that he was regularly under has no bearing on whether or not said duress existed. 

It's a bit absurd to put it all on him. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

How he reacted to the duress that he was regularly under has no bearing on whether or not said duress existed. 

It's a bit absurd to put it all on him. 

In 13 games, Auburn allowed only 23 sacks. That's an average of less than 2 per game. Good enough for 39th best in the country. Last year's O-Line was terrible at run blocking, but above average at pass blocking. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

In 13 games, Auburn allowed only 23 sacks. That's an average of less than 2 per game. Good enough for 39th best in the country. Last year's O-Line was terrible at run blocking, but above average at pass blocking. 

Sacks just show the times that he had to eat the pressure. It sure felt like our center was getting pushed into Stidham's shins on every dropback almost. He dealt with significant pressure last season, I'm not sure how it can be spun any other way to be honest. Not knocking your opinion but I'm a little surprised someone is saying JS didn't have pressure in his face constantly. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tiger said:

Sacks just show the times that he had to eat the pressure. It sure felt like our center was getting pushed into Stidham's shins on every dropback almost. He dealt with significant pressure last season, I'm not sure how it can be spun any other way to be honest. Not knocking your opinion but I'm a little surprised someone is saying JS didn't have pressure in his face constantly. 

He dealt with his fair share of pressure, sure. But I would say a large portion of his flushes were totally unnecessary. Step up and throw. Take a hit and throw. He just won't do it without a totally clean pocket. No play exemplifies this better than Stidham missing a wide open Slayton at Mississippi State.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

In 13 games, Auburn allowed only 23 sacks. That's an average of less than 2 per game. Good enough for 39th best in the country. Last year's O-Line was terrible at run blocking, but above average at pass blocking. 

That's a huuuuuge assumption based off that one very uninformative stat. For example, did you know that we were 81st in pass attempts per game? That right there would suggest that we're not going to get sacked a ton.

Do you know how many times Stidham wasn't sacked because he escaped pressure? 

Also, over 25% of his completions were to Ryan Davis, who averaged less than 8 yards per reception. That means that he was frequently throwing screen passes that took about as long to get off as a pitch to a runner, ie not much pass blocking required.

I see in a subsequent post that you've acknowledged that he did in fact deal with pressure. So we're good here now. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll never forget the interception that sealed the UCF game. It's the only time I've ever seen a quarterback throw a ball away out of panic, but not get hit on the play. If he steps up and throws, at the very least we live to see another play. Instead, he is focused on the rush, his eyes go to the pass rush, and he shifts his WHOLE body to make sure he isn't touched. 

 

Screenshot_20180921-191115_YouTube.thumb.jpg.41cbba799b5f9bbe0226a11920b6f4ea.jpg

Screenshot_20180921-191227_YouTube.thumb.jpg.fb1b1463bdc475d5b71ac4414e7fa1f3.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo. Nobody's saying the dude handled pressure well. What you initially said is that our OL pass blocked well and that he was never under any duress. Which is super duper inaccurate for most of 2018.  

Our OL was on the verge of being adequate by late 2018. Yay. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's a huuuuuge assumption based off that one very uninformative stat. For example, did you know that we were 81st in pass attempts per game? That right there would suggest that we're not going to get sacked a ton.

Do you know how many times Stidham wasn't sacked because he escaped pressure? 

Also, over 25% of his completions were to Ryan Davis, who averaged less than 8 yards per reception. That means that he was frequently throwing screen passes that took about as long to get off as a pitch to a runner, ie not much pass blocking required.

I see in a subsequent post that you've acknowledged that he did in fact deal with pressure. So we're good here now. 

 

Every quarterback faces pressure. The line wasn't great, especially early in the year. But he was "constantly running for his life" for the same reason a bunny rabbit is constantly running for its life. Sheer unnecessary panic. Step. Up. And. Throw. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AUght2win said:

Every quarterback faces pressure. The line wasn't great, especially early in the year. But he was "constantly running for his life" for the same reason a bunny rabbit is constantly running for its life. Sheer unnecessary panic. Step. Up. And. Throw. 

Very few QBs face as much pressure as he did for most of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yo. Nobody's saying the dude handled pressure well. What you initially said is that our OL pass blocked well and that he was never under any duress. Which is super duper inaccurate for most of 2018.  

Our OL was on the verge of being adequate by late 2018. Yay. 

Nah. You're wrong. I didn't say the OL was great. I was responding to a post that say Stidham was "running for his life every other play". He was running alright, but it wasn't always necessary. That's on him, not the line. Our line was a solid C at pass blocking, in my book. Like I said, we gave up less than 2 sacks per game. And it damn sure wasn't because Jarrett Stidham has Vick-esque elusiveness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Every quarterback faces pressure. The line wasn't great, especially early in the year. But he was "constantly running for his life" for the same reason a bunny rabbit is constantly running for its life. Sheer unnecessary panic. Step. Up. And. Throw. 

He did not handle pressure well. This entire board will agree to that. But the fact remains that he was facing duress on most snaps that required him to do anything but throw a screen to Ryan Davis. 

Stidham wouldn't have been so skittish if he didn't almost die vs Clemson in 2017 or had time to complete a 3 step drop without Kaleb Kim being in his lap this past season. There's a reason he looked like that and it was our own damn coach that allowed him to get like that rather than give him some options underneath vs Clemson to allow him to make some plays and gain some confidence in the face of pressure. To compound issues, the staff never was able to coach this timidness out of him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this