Stidham

DAG

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He did not handle pressure well. This entire board will agree to that. But the fact remains that he was facing duress on most snaps that required him to do anything but throw a screen to Ryan Davis. 

Stidham wouldn't have been so skittish if he didn't almost die vs Clemson in 2017 or had time to complete a 3 step drop without Kaleb Kim being in his lap this past season. There's a reason he looked like that and it was our own damn coach that allowed him to get like that rather than give him some options underneath vs Clemson to allow him to make some plays and gain some confidence in the face of pressure. To compound issues, the staff never was able to coach this timidness out of him.

Yep. Totally different QB in 2017. Very different OL. Hmmm....

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Nah. You're wrong. I didn't say the OL was great. I was responding to a post that say Stidham was "running for his life every other play". He was running alright, but it wasn't always necessary. That's on him, not the line. Our line was a solid C at pass blocking, in my book. Like I said, we gave up less than 2 sacks per game. And it damn sure wasn't because Jarrett Stidham has Vick-esque elusiveness.

If you'd led with the first bolded part, nobody would have objected. As for the 2nd, I already explained some reasons for that other than our OL being worth a crap. You should stop going back to that well. 

As for your last comment, Stidham was listed as a dual-threat QB out of high school. He has above-average elusiveness. If he didn't, we would have given up a lot more sacks. 

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If you'd led with the first bolded part, nobody would have objected. As for the 2nd, I already explained some reasons for that other than our OL being worth a crap. You should stop going back to that well. 

As for your last comment, Stidham was listed as a dual-threat QB out of high school. He has above-average elusiveness. If he didn't, we would have given up a lot more sacks. 

If you believe Jarrett Stidham is a true dual threat quarterback I will simply tip my cap to you fine sir and wish you a good day. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If you believe Jarrett Stidham is a true dual threat quarterback I will simply tip my cap to you fine sir and wish you a good day. 

I worded my post very carefully to ensure that nobody could possibly assume that I believe that. 

Edit: Point is, he has above average mobility. Fact.

50 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He did not handle pressure well. This entire board will agree to that. But the fact remains that he was facing duress on most snaps that required him to do anything but throw a screen to Ryan Davis. 

Stidham wouldn't have been so skittish if he didn't almost die vs Clemson in 2017 or had time to complete a 3 step drop without Kaleb Kim being in his lap this past season. There's a reason he looked like that and it was our own damn coach that allowed him to get like that rather than give him some options underneath vs Clemson to allow him to make some plays and gain some confidence in the face of pressure. To compound issues, the staff never was able to coach this timidness out of him.

All comes back to the reason I think he won't be a success at the next level. A coaching staff isn't responsible for making a player brave or non-skittish. That's 100% on the player. Clemson wasn't 'Nam. If Jarrett Stidham was permanently traumatized over one game, then he needs to find a new sport.

Truth be told, I'm just a bit jilted over the way JS turned out. He is SO talented. He can make every throw. He showed so much promise at times. He just didn't have the guts or battler mentality that you need to be great. It's more of a disappointment over what he could have been. That's why I don't want people to perpetuate this myth that Stidham would have been great if not for the line's shortcomings. No. Stidham would have been great if he had simply chosen to be great.

19 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I would love to know exactly what happened with him this year. Between running for his life every other play and getting engaged, I suppose his mind was elsewhere. 

He was in love....lol

Just now, AUght2win said:

Truth be told, I'm just a bit jilted over the way JS turned out. He is SO talented. He can make every throw. He showed so much promise at times. He just didn't have the guts or battler mentality that you need to be great. It's more of a disappointment over what he could have been. That's why I don't want people to perpetuate this myth that Stidham would have been great if not for the line's shortcomings. No. Stidham would have been great if he had simply chosen to be great.

I can definitely get behind this. 

I do hope that a change of scenery and a different offense suits him better. 

The best thing would be for him to sit behind a vet, learn how to read a defense and learn the speed of the game. I pray he doesn’t get drafted by a team with a questionable starter.

18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

All comes back to the reason I think he won't be a success at the next level. A coaching staff isn't responsible for making a player brave or non-skittish. That's 100% on the player. Clemson wasn't 'Nam. If Jarrett Stidham was permanently traumatized over one game, then he needs to find a new sport.

Some people have that in them, some don't. But a coach can certainly scheme to mitigate some of this to a point and we flatly did not.

How do you feel about Brandon Cox? He wilted from pressure with the best of them by the time he was senior IMO. Remember how his game winning drive attempt at the end of Miss State during his final season? His final throw was what you were mentioning of JS on steroids. Scared as heck and didn't even get hit. And if I recall correctly it was one particular game that gave Cox PTSD and he wasn't the same after that. 

Not trying to bash Cox, just wondering about the discrepancy between how Cox is viewed with how Stidham is, and JS quarterbacked us to a division title during Bama's unprecedented run. 

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Some people have that in them, some don't. But a coach can certainly scheme to mitigate some of this to a point and we flatly did not.

How do you feel about Brandon Cox? He wilted from pressure with the best of them by the time he was senior IMO. Remember how his game winning drive attempt at the end of Miss State during his final season? His final throw was what you were mentioning of JS on steroids. Scared as heck and didn't even get hit. And if I recall correctly it was one particular game that gave Cox PTSD and he wasn't the same after that. 

Not trying to bash Cox, just wondering about the discrepancy between how Cox is viewed with how Stidham is, and JS quarterbacked us to a division title during Bama's unprecedented run. 

I don't recall Cox being skittish, although definitely not saying it didn't happen. It's just pretty rare in major college football to find a starter at any position who fears contact. You sort've have to relish it. You have to enjoy the gladiator aspect of it to some extent or you will never survive. In my humble high school experience as a receiver/tight end, catching a pass while getting BLASTED was actually pretty fun. Knowing you could take someone's best shot and still pop up no problem. That's what makes football different. 

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

To  that I would say look at 05-06 Cox and you would see one of the tougher guys on record. I think he ended up sustaining at least one pretty serious injury.

I would suggest that Stidham started 2018 off in that mode and never really put anything on film that suggests he's a gamer when things around him break down.

So ultimately, I do agree with @AUght2win, lol.

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

To  that I would say look at 05-06 Cox and you would see one of the tougher guys on record. I think he ended up sustaining at least one pretty serious injury.

I would suggest that Stidham started 2018 off in that mode and never really put anything on film that suggests he's a gamer when things around him break down.

So ultimately, I do agree with @AUght2win, lol.

My intention was not to say Cox wasn't tough or disparage him, because his reputation is that he's tough and he also was dealing with a muscle disease. He took a beating during his years and his play declined as the years went by in part because of the beatings he was taking and his waning confidence in his OL, much like Stidham, affected his play. Stidham imagined pressure that wasn't there but Cox did the same, but rather than flush out unnecessarily Cox just made poor decisions in the pocket once he had reached unfixable levels of overthinking about the pressure. 

Cox first season was were very good, his last 2 had a clear decline with a sharp drop off at the end. Stidham's first was very good, 2nd he was average/mediocre. IMO both were caused by guys getting hit so much they no longer felt comfortable and confident in their protection which caused their play to dwindle. I mean we benched a senior Cox for Burns for a period of time because Cox was playing so poorly. And Cox is viewed positively while JS has much more detractors it feels like. 

None of this is to say I think JS has even average pocket presence, because he doesn't. But I found it interesting our other actually productive QB that got hit a lot and also played a little scared has lost that rep over the years and I wonder if Stidham will as well. 

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

None of this is to say I think JS has even average pocket presence, because he doesn't. But I found it interesting our other actually productive QB that got hit a lot and also played a little scared has lost that rep over the years

It helps that he is 4-0 against Bama. I still remember some of his bad games against Georgia. I ‘member. 

@Tiger, I hear you and I know it's never your MO to crap on the players. I suppose I just remember Cox as having established himself as a tough leader whereas even when Stidham was productive in 2017, I'm not sure he ever really gave me that feeling. So really it's about more than just pocket presence in terms of how I think of those guys. 

You do make a great point about how we tend to remember things and I'm totally guilty of being nostalgic about past players. And I'm also guilty of thinking of Stidham a certain way before he actually got on the football field for us, so there's probably some confirmation bias going on with how I view the way he played. But it seems that a lot of people viewed him the same way lol.

19 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I worded my post very carefully to ensure that nobody could possibly assume that I believe that. 

Edit: Point is, he has above average mobility. Fact.

Compared perhaps to you or me...or the US population in general...but not compared to the typical SEC QB.     

But interesting clip of the Tennessee game highlights....and this time I did not throw-up watching all those dreadful mistakes....

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Compared perhaps to you or me...or the US population in general...but not compared to the typical SEC QB.     

But interesting clip of the Tennessee game highlights....and this time I did not throw-up watching all those dreadful mistakes....

The point is that he's plenty mobile to escape pressure on occasion and keep those sack totals down, and the play I posted is a perfect example of that.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The point is that he's plenty mobile to escape pressure on occasion and keep those sack totals down, and the play I posted is a perfect example of that.

I watched the whole clip of the AU offense for the Tennessee game.....and he managed to shake a couple rushes, but usually had little or no rush, never stood in a took a hit to get a pass off....and made some panicky tosses when pressed that were intercepted.    That one tape probably was a sampling of really bad plays by JS for the season....all in one game. 

How did Stid do today? Did he throw? 

I don't have statistics and all of that but I do know I watched JS take off or take a sack when all he literally had to do was step up. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2019 at 9:00 AM, cole256 said:

I don't have statistics and all of that but I do know I watched JS take off or take a sack when all he literally had to do was step up. 

Adding to that, several sacks were taken when the ball should have been gone.sometimes  He didn’t need to step up just throw it. 

Archived