Chuma Okeke draft discussion

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with Brooklyn because they have too many young bodies that can do what he do. So I don't think playing time would be great, he wouldn't really have anybody great to learn under...But really little more playing time than anything. They have a bunch of young long guys who can handle and shoot and should be able to play defense. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Go sours, go!

sour.gif

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't agree with Brooklyn because they have too many young bodies that can do what he do. So I don't think playing time would be great, he wouldn't really have anybody great to learn under...But really little more playing time than anything. They have a bunch of young long guys who can handle and shoot and should be able to play defense. 

He'd allow them to go small more often. For the Philly series for example, while Dudley was their best scorer at times, you shouldnt have to rely on a 40 year old player as your best small ball 4. They're a roster that should be playing small ball more than anything (especially with how soft Allen is), and he'd automatically be one of their top 3 defenders on the roster (they stink on that end, especially from the perimeter). It might be tough playing time NOW, but in 1-2 seasons after, it'd be a breeze. 

I could see a team holding him out for his first year to make sure he gets all the way back. Rosters will look very different next season. With all the big time free agents picking new teams a lot team's needs will be different than they are today. Especially for teams like Brooklyn, for example, who have an opportunity to make a splash in free agency.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last write up about chumma from the professionals.....sounds familiar

It is a shame that Okeke went down with an injury in the Sweet 16 against North Carolina. Okeke was having the game of his career against top-tier competition and it was making his draft stock soar. Some felt that had Okeke stayed healthy, Auburn would have won the title. If he follows up that performance against Kentucky and then against Virginia or Texas Tech in Minnesota then we’re probably talking about Okeke as a lottery pick. He fits today’s NBA as a small-ball four with plenty of defensive potential. We will have to see how he responds to this injury, but if he remains the same player then that is exactly what he will be in the NBA. Okeke has an effortless shot and can really stroke it from deep where he hit 39%+ combined in his two years under Bruce Pearl. He’s very active on the defensive end where he averaged over a steal and a block a game for the Tigers. Okeke also knows how to take advantage of smaller defenders and be able to post up on the block. He has a very versatile game that includes athleticism and decent playmaking ability. Where Okeke may struggle is potentially creating his own shot at the next level. Okeke benefitted from playing off two great guards like Bryce Brown and Jared Harperto get him open. But there are so many aspects of Okeke’s game to like whether it is the three-point shooting, guarding multiple positions, or perfectly fitting in as a small-ball four. It all comes down to how he bounces back from injury, but in the late first round to early second round Okeke will likely reward a team for taking a chance on him, as his upside is among the top 10-15 players in this year's draft.

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Last write up about chumma from the professionals.....sounds familiar

It is a shame that Okeke went down with an injury in the Sweet 16 against North Carolina. Okeke was having the game of his career against top-tier competition and it was making his draft stock soar. Some felt that had Okeke stayed healthy, Auburn would have won the title. If he follows up that performance against Kentucky and then against Virginia or Texas Tech in Minnesota then we’re probably talking about Okeke as a lottery pick. He fits today’s NBA as a small-ball four with plenty of defensive potential. We will have to see how he responds to this injury, but if he remains the same player then that is exactly what he will be in the NBA. Okeke has an effortless shot and can really stroke it from deep where he hit 39%+ combined in his two years under Bruce Pearl. He’s very active on the defensive end where he averaged over a steal and a block a game for the Tigers. Okeke also knows how to take advantage of smaller defenders and be able to post up on the block. He has a very versatile game that includes athleticism and decent playmaking ability. Where Okeke may struggle is potentially creating his own shot at the next level. Okeke benefitted from playing off two great guards like Bryce Brown and Jared Harperto get him open. But there are so many aspects of Okeke’s game to like whether it is the three-point shooting, guarding multiple positions, or perfectly fitting in as a small-ball four. It all comes down to how he bounces back from injury, but in the late first round to early second round Okeke will likely reward a team for taking a chance on him, as his upside is among the top 10-15 players in this year's draft.

I was following the NBA thread on the non Auburn sports page. I think Chuma goes no later than 35th pick to Pelicans. I think the additional picks they just acquired allows them to gamble on an injury pick like Okeke. Could go Spurs sooner than that.  My opinion anyways.  

I am so happy for Chuma . What a fantastic young man . Also this is huge for Au basketball. This will change the program

I want to officially nominate @cole256 for basketball MOD. He foresaw this much quicker than everyone including myself. I hate that he is with Orlando though lol.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

I want to officially nominate @cole256 for basketball MOD. He foresaw this much quicker than everyone including myself. I hate that he is with Orlando though lol.

I nominate muhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fam my brother and most importantly my brodie @Tiger! He is the number 1 CHUUUUUUUUUUMA fan I know and he told me when he committed that he had a chance to be the first AU player drafted in the first round since our boy MAAAAAAMADOUUUUUU!!!!!!! lol. He is the czar of basketball honestly!

S/O to @Tiger as well. What do you and @cole256 think of his fit with the magic. I would like to see him, Gordon and Mo Bamba on the court together! 

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I nominate muhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fam my brother and most importantly my brodie @Tiger! He is the number 1 CHUUUUUUUUUUMA fan I know and he told me when he committed that he had a chance to be the first AU player drafted in the first round since our boy MAAAAAAMADOUUUUUU!!!!!!! lol. He is the czar of basketball honestly!

Lolol I said either him or Heron, I wish Mustapha was in this draft after helping us to a national title this year though.. Also Heron doesn't look like he will ever be a first rounder so uhhh lol

LOL @cole256 with the mod gun when Gene gets rolling though??? 

Archived