Chuma Okeke draft discussion

On 3/14/2019 at 4:28 AM, cole256 said:

You're absolutely right about the defense part. I imagine if you looked at his commit thread you'd see me multiple times saying his impact would be defensively. As a matter of fact even in high school he was better at D than offense. And the way the game is played now puts him in an even better position

Staying here another year does absolutely nothing for him personally, I guess fans look at it as score some 20 point games and now you're ready but smart people that actually run a NBA team can see what he has to offer them now and know as far as developing him more, their staff can do much more than a school that doesn't play him at the position they will use him. 

He's first round, to say mid second round is laughable at most it would be a slip to early firstand this is right now. He's a great athlete so pro day he'll boost up. Golden State would love to have a guy that could do what draymon Greene does right now. Like I said though only thing that holds him back is the sacrifices he made for this school playing out of position and not being as developed as an offensive threat on the perimeter

Chumma is easily the best draft prospect besides Barkley Auburn has ever had. 

I wouldn't say easily. Mike Mitchell was a scoring machine at AU. Led the conference a couple of times and was all time leading scorer until Chuck Person. He was 15th player selected '78 or '79.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 80Tiger said:

I wouldn't say easily. Mike Mitchell was a scoring machine at AU. Led the conference a couple of times and was all time leading scorer until Chuck Person. He was 15th player selected '78 or '79.

I'm not talking about anybody's career, I'm talking about the physical tools he brings to his position of play

On 3/14/2019 at 4:28 AM, cole256 said:

Chumma is easily the best draft prospect besides Barkley Auburn has ever had. 

Nonsense. Mike Mitchell was a four-time All SEC selection, an All-American and first round draft pick by Cleveland (1978). Mitch spent ten years in the NBA and 10 more years playing in Europe. He set AU records for rebounding, was second in scoring and was also an NBA all-star. Had you ever seen Mitch play for Auburn you wouldn't have made such a silly statement. I think Chuma will get drafted when he declares, but to say he's the 2nd best draft pick ever is not rational. https://www.al.com/sports/2011/06/mike_mitchell_among_greatest_b.html

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Nonsense. Mike Mitchell was a four-time All SEC selection, an All-American and first round draft pick by Cleveland (1978). Mitch spent ten years in the NBA and 10 more years playing in Europe. He set AU records for rebounding, was second in scoring and was also an NBA all-star. Had you ever seen Mitch play for Auburn you wouldn't have made such a silly statement. I think Chuma will get drafted when he declares, but to say he's the 2nd best draft pick ever is not rational. https://www.al.com/sports/2011/06/mike_mitchell_among_greatest_b.html

Draft prospect and I guess we'll see. Like I already said though I'm not talking about a career but I'm DEFINITELY not about to argue with you about basketball

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Draft prospect and I guess we'll see. Like I already said though I'm not talking about a career but I'm DEFINITELY not about to argue with you about basketball

Not arguing with me about basketball would be a wise move on your part. I am lucky enough to have seen both Mitch and Chuma play. Chuma, Sir, is no Mike Mitchell.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Not arguing with me about basketball would be a wise move on your part. I am lucky enough to have seen both Mitch and Chuma play. Chuma, Sir, is no Mike Mitchell.

But you're not lucky enough to be intelligent enough to comprehend I'm not talking about career. If I was I wouldn't say chumma was over Daniels let alone Mitchell

Just now, cole256 said:

But you're not lucky enough to be intelligent enough to comprehend I'm not talking about career.

Apparently you're not intelligent enough to understand that I said I have seen both play and Mitch was better, there's no comparison. Only the Colester at his non-comprehension finest could wrangle career out of that.

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Apparently you're not intelligent enough to understand that I said I have seen both play and Mitch was better, there's no comparison. Only the Colester at his non-comprehension finest could wrangle career out of that.

You still don't get it lol. I didn't say anything about who's better. I said the physical ability possessed for the position they played. It's AMAZING the joke you make yourself out to be

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Miley you have shown to not understand the most simple of concepts arguing basketball you're not fooling me man. You didn't even understand this

How can anyone argue on a day like this?

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Chuma is physically a beast, it’s fair to feel he has the potential to be one of our best off that merit 

I don’t know enough about any of the oldheads to make any comparisons

To be fair a old head for you is Marquis Daniels........ lol

@Dual-Threat Rigby you know the rules........... 

Back on topic. The updated mock from nbadraft.net from last night has our boy going 27th.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Back on topic. The updated mock from nbadraft.net from last night has our boy going 27th.

If he and Jared and Austin all come back next year, we can be something, considering the recruiting class we're bringing in. Having a big year as the centerpiece of an offense can easily throw him into lottery pick status, and even if that doesn't happen, he's still got late first/early second round talent and a year left to negotiate with. The pieces coming back to this team...are ample!

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That would suck. Suck is relative though as far as getting drafted really can't suck but if I was going late I'd want it to be with a more successful team. 

The announcers mentioned it during the games though he can guard 1-4, handle the ball nice shot.....

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

That would suck. Suck is relative though as far as getting drafted really can't suck but if I was going late I'd want it to be with a more successful team. 

The announcers mentioned it during the games though he can guard 1-4, handle the ball nice shot.....

Yep. The range of 20th to 30th picks is full of good teams:

OKC, GS, Spurs, Milwaukee, Boston, Philly, etc. and there is Brooklyn. lol. Please don’t go to Brooklyn. 

Ashton Hagans is projected for the first round as well. Don’t think his offense is there yet for that. 

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Brooklyn would be a great place for him to go. For one Adam Harrington is on the coaching staff there. 2. Kenny Atkinson is a awesome coach. Like one of the best in the NBA. Every year he gets the absolute most out of his teams and overachieves. He has got this team 36-34 without 1 blue chip talent on that team besides D Russ who everyone was labeling a bust BEFORE he got to brooklyn. 6th in the NBA in 3 pointers made. I would LOVE for him to go to Brooklyn. It fits Chuma stylistically. They play a lot like how AU does. http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/bkn This is not a good team on paper and yet they are on track to make the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Brooklyn would be a great place for him to go. For one Adam Harrington is on the coaching staff there. 2. Kenny Atkinson is a awesome coach. Like one of the best in the NBA. Every year he gets the absolute most out of his teams and overachieves. He has got this team 36-34 without 1 blue chip talent on that team besides D Russ who everyone was labeling a bust BEFORE he got to brooklyn. 6th in the NBA in 3 pointers made. I would LOVE for him to go to Brooklyn. It fits Chuma stylistically. They play a lot like how AU does. http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/bkn This is not a good team on paper and yet they are on track to make the playoffs. 

I know you're the ultimate homer but Adam Harrington really doesn't mean anything realistically. 

But I'd rather him play somewhere with a more established structure of winning. But you're right about them seeming to be turning around but I'm not going to stamp anybody off of one year. 

We don't play chumma in his best position here so I don't agree with fitting him stylistically. For all we know he may be better playing with the ball in his hands more. And with levert being there and they seem to really like him seems like somebody already came in and establishing himself. 

If it was a pick between them and San Antonio it would be San Antonio easy. I rather go with some vets learn to play and takeover a role as somebody leaves than be on a team with a bunch of young talent trying to find an identity with even more competition essentially

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

G will. Nobody EVER wants to go to Brooklyn. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I know you're the ultimate homer but Adam Harrington really doesn't mean anything realistically. 

But I'd rather him play somewhere with a more established structure of winning. But you're right about them seeming to be turning around but I'm not going to stamp anybody off of one year. 

We don't play chumma in his best position here so I don't agree with fitting him stylistically. For all we know he may be better playing with the ball in his hands more. And with levert being there and they seem to really like him seems like somebody already came in and establishing himself. 

If it was a pick between them and San Antonio it would be San Antonio easy. I rather go with some vets learn to play and takeover a role as somebody leaves than be on a team with a bunch of young talent trying to find an identity with even more competition essentially

hahahahaha during football season you would have A LOT of people that do not agree with you at all. I just am a different type of fan for AU basketball as opposed to AU football because I actually BELIEVE in our head coach for this sport!!! WOOO!!! WAR DAMN BRUCE! I just wanted to get that Adam Harrington comment in because it is so cool he is a NBA assistant. It does not get talked about a lot around here. We have differing opinions on what we want to happen to Chuma. I want him to go to the worst team possible so there is a lot of minutes that can go to him and he can play a lot. The better the team the less chance of that happening. I hope he sticks around for another season is a monster next season like we know he will be and goes lottery. WOOO!!! WAR DAMN CHUMA BABY!!!! We have not had a lottery pick in quite some time. 

I believe in brooklyn and defend them  because they are putting the right culture in place.  They have a really good player development program. Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddie 2 of their best players were second round draft picks and they have really done a great job of bringing them along after they did not do much on other teams before they got to the Nets. And then you have 2 late first round picks who have performed solid for them in Levert and Rondae-Hollis Jefferson. I am very impressed by them. They are not the most talented team but they have a good system in place and bring it almost every night. 2 guys who they traded for on draft night. 

Archived