Chuma Okeke draft discussion

At least Danjel has started to grow some confidence again. It’ll suck to see Chuma go if he decides to leave but I can live with a reinvigorated Purifoy and a young stud in Jaylin Williams manning the 4 spot next season 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

hahahahaha during football season you would have A LOT of people that do not agree with you at all. I just am a different type of fan for AU basketball as opposed to AU football because I actually BELIEVE in our head coach for this sport!!! WOOO!!! WAR DAMN BRUCE! I just wanted to get that Adam Harrington comment in because it is so cool he is a NBA assistant. It does not get talked about a lot around here. We have differing opinions on what we want to happen to Chuma. I want him to go to the worst team possible so there is a lot of minutes that can go to him and he can play a lot. The better the team the less chance of that happening. I hope he sticks around for another season is a monster next season like we know he will be and goes lottery. WOOO!!! WAR DAMN CHUMA BABY!!!! We have not had a lottery pick in quite some time. 

I believe in brooklyn and defend them  because they are putting the right culture in place.  They have a really good player development program. Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddie 2 of their best players were second round draft picks and they have really done a great job of bringing them along after they did not do much on other teams before they got to the Nets. And then you have 2 late first round picks who have performed solid for them in Levert and Rondae-Hollis Jefferson. I am very impressed by them. They are not the most talented team but they have a good system in place and bring it almost every night. 2 guys who they traded for on draft night. 

It's cool, I'll never tell you not to be hyped. Everybody should be themselves. I'm trying to show people it's fine to disagree and still be cool. Nobody has to be hurt lol. You named alot of dudes that plays his position. You really think he'd get a bunch of playing time there? I'd rather him go somewhere get in a rotation and be the heir, like how San Antonio did with their PG. Like I said Rudy gay is getting up there in years. They should need two good wings. Seem like a good match! Good talk!

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What happened 

haha If you do not know I am not going to tell you. The mystery lives on!!! WOOO!!!

He hasn’t done much too improve his stock over the last couple games. Need Okeke to step up if we are to pull off this upset today

The only way Okeke stays, IMO, is: 1. He is one of those people who wants to get a degree before leaving college. 2. We have even more unfinished business and he wants to end his time here with us making it to the final four or the championship game. 

I heard an interesting take on Okeke where the podcaster made the comparison to Derek Brown - unpredictable, child-like in many ways and wants to get better.   

Who knows, maybe he will return.  Risk for injury is pretty low relative to some positions in football.  Could become a lottery pick next year perhaps.

Unlike the NCAA, people have been watching our last month or so, having like 2 hurt games in a row probably didn't do much to hurt his stock, and doing what he did against UT certainly recovered what drop off happened.

If he shows out against Luke Maye and that exotic cat from Kansas in consecutive games (not in that order obv), I feel like someone would take that risk on him in the mid first, definitely. 

Just enjoy him for however long this year goes. He's too good. If he shows any aggressiveness at the NBA combine he's going to be a lock for the 1st IMO if his play in the next few days doesn't flat out guarantee it (he may already be there). He's shown too much on film and him being a sophomore means he still has a ways to go before he reaches his ceiling as a player which increases his draft value quite a bit

please please please Okeke stay!!!!!!!  one more year?!?!?!?

I always want our athletes to do what is best for themselves ... but if he is willing to gamble on himself (and CBP), next year could be a freakish year for Auburn bball.  If for some crazy reason Harper, Okeke and Wiley all stay, Auburn bball will be in all of the national discussions for the preseason and entire season next year with legit deep ncaa run capability.  Next year could cement the golden years of Auburn bball and Okeke could be central to that and move himself up to top echelon of the draft.

^^^^^complete homer comments above^^^^^

15 hours ago, Beaker said:

I heard an interesting take on Okeke where the podcaster made the comparison to Derek Brown - unpredictable, child-like in many ways and wants to get better.   

Who knows, maybe he will return.  Risk for injury is pretty low relative to some positions in football.  Could become a lottery pick next year perhaps.

Im not sure that comparison really holds water and it sounds pretty homerishly optimistic. Derrick Brown just won a man of the year award for his off the field service, has a kid, and has his little brother coming to AU to play with him. The idea that he’s “child like and unpredictable” seems wrong. Everything he’s done suggests he’s a very mature young man

9 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Im not sure that comparison really holds water and it sounds pretty homerishly optimistic. Derrick Brown just won a man of the year award for his off the field service, has a kid, and has his little brother coming to AU to play with him. The idea that he’s “child like and unpredictable” seems wrong. Everything he’s done suggests he’s a very mature young man

Thanks for making those points! 

The context in which the podcaster was speaking was regarding his sense of humor and being unpredictable in the locker room ( I think ).   Maybe he cuts up and has child like fun?  Maybe he is a bit of prankster?  I have no clue, just sharing what I heard and the comparison.   The guy was talking about them being light-hearted in the same vein.    

He's a perfect fit for them but the draft order is going to shuffle quite a bit between now and June. I wouldn't put any value in which teams these mock sites project the prospects to go to but more in the range that they have them going.. Jmo

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He's a perfect fit for them but the draft order is going to shuffle quite a bit between now and June. I wouldn't put any value in which teams these mock sites project the prospects to go to but more in the range that they have them going.. Jmo

Golden State isn’t going out of the late first round lol, as far as the team, that’s the only one I’m trying to see him on now 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Golden State isn’t going out of the late first round lol, as far as the team, that’s the only one I’m trying to see him on now 

Right but they have him slotted at 28. There are a number of teams that could end up picking there. Basically all this says is that he's a late 1st guy as it stands right now. Any team picking in that area is a possibility

I want another Auburn man to play for my Dallas Mavericks!  Been a while since Marquis Daniels was there

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Man this would be dream like for his career 

I could easily see the Spurs grabbing him before GS gets the chance. He has the perfect personality for SA and they have a hole at the 3 and could even play the 4 with Aldridge.

4 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

I want another Auburn man to play for my Dallas Mavericks!  Been a while since Marquis Daniels was there

My email address is STILL the same as it was when I created it in high school because Marquis Daniels went there. I was just so excited for AU to have a good Auburn player again! lol

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I could easily see the Spurs grabbing him before GS gets the chance. He has the perfect personality for SA and they have a hole at the 3 and could even play the 4 with Aldridge.

This is my own personal hell right here if this happened!!! haha. How much longer is Pop going to be around? I hate the spurs but would LOVE for Pop to coach Chuuuuuuuuuuuuuuma. But IDK how many years he wants to keep doing this. I think a little part of him died when Duncan retired. 

This is my own personal hell right here if this happened!!! haha. How much longer is Pop going to be around? I hate the spurs but would LOVE for Pop to coach Chuuuuuuuuuuuuuuma. But IDK how many years he wants to keep doing this. I think a little part of him died when Duncan retired. 

As a life long Spurs fan, POP is still coaching at a high level. Also, no disrespect but I can tell you right now, I do not necessarily want Chuma on the squad. Great height, great length, but he is kind of a tweener in terms of the forward position. He also is inconsistent on the offensive end, which scares me in the motion offense that we run.  The Spurs need a legit scorer or a true big man. Remember, our starting pg got hurt in preseason, so Derrick white, who is a combo guard, has been handling the ball for the most part. Once Dejounte gets back, he will be running the point. Hopefully, Derrick goes to the two until Lonnie comes in his own and DeMar can be our wing. I actually prefer Cam Johnson then go for a big.

That whole trio is finished. Manu and Tony Parker are done. Then Kawhi acted like a bitch. Pop has to be on his last leg. It’d take him awhile and some luck to rebuild again 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

As a life long Spurs fan, POP is still coaching at a high level. Also, no disrespect but I can tell you right now, I do not necessarily want Chuma on the squad. Great height, great length, but he is kind of a tweener in terms of the forward position. He also is inconsistent on the offensive end, which scares me in the motion offense that we run.  The Spurs need a legit scorer or a true big man. Remember, our starting pg got hurt in preseason, so Derrick white, who is a combo guard, has been handling the ball for the most part. Once Dejounte gets back, he will be running the point. Hopefully, Derrick goes to the two until Lonnie comes in his own and DeMar can be our wing. I actually prefer Cam Johnson then go for a big.

Put Chuma under Chip Engelland and let him blossom like Leonard. 

Murray

White/Walker

DeRozan

Chuma

Aldridge

I'd love to see that line up.

1 hour ago, Gene Loblaw said:

That whole trio is finished. Manu and Tony Parker are done. Then Kawhi acted like a bitch. Pop has to be on his last leg. It’d take him awhile and some luck to rebuild again 

Did Manu retire last year? I honestly cannot remember. I just know Tony Parker is decaying on the hornets bench playing behind Kemba. 

Archived