Chuma Okeke draft discussion

On 4/1/2019 at 8:14 PM, AuburnArch13 said:

Yeah, unfortunately for Chuma I think the timing makes a difference. While it’s not definitive by any means, Bruce was taking on Dan Patrick like he think Chuma will be back, saying he “would have gone in the late first round” and that now it “will probably have to wait a year”. 

Even them though, it’s no guarantee he’s ready to go before conference play. ACLs are tough stuff.

As far as Garland as well is he's literally a top 3 guy at his position. At his position he was rated alot higher than chumma was/is at his

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t know if he was good enough to put all his eggs in that basket. If he is ready he should play late next year or the following year. As good as he is I doubt he could get drafted in a year or two without showing he can still play. So actually there could be millions of reasons to play college basketball again. 

Yes, all good points. It's a risk either way but less so if he has a pro contract. If I'm not mistaken I think they just changed the rules to enable a player to enter the draft and if he isn't taken go back to the college game. That would make the decision clearer for him. Just don't go back out on the court until you're 110% healed.

Chuma fell from 23 to 37 in the latest mock draft. SMH that *  injury completely killed what would of been a LOCK of a first round pick for him. 

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

* GwillMac6 you know better than that. * Narrator: Spoiler Gwill does NOT know better.*

41 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Chuma fell from 23 to 37 in the latest mock draft. SMH that * injury completely killed what would of been a LOCK of a first round pick for him. 

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Dude....I've enjoyed your posts up until that one. THERE ARE younger folks that read these posts ya know. Like some of our kids and grandkids. 

I said it last year, but I still haven't been able to get used to the college basketball personnel turnover.  You get so attached to watching these guys and it's over right when it's beginning.  Makes me wonder at how the top programs maintain their consistency year in/year out.  I really wish the NBA would adopt a baseball-esque leave after high school or play three years.

That said, COMPLETELY support Chuma's decision and he is going to be a baller at the next level.  Such a pleasure to watch, especially as he really came into his own as a player this year.  

Hope it works out for Okeke whatever happens. If I was an NBA GM and could get him in the 2nd round I would jump on him in a heartbeat. Evan if he loses part of the year to rehab you could get a 1st round talent in the 2nd. He would be a steal at that point.

38 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Yeah, the ESPN alert I got said he will maintain eligibility while rehabbing his knee. Yet he intends on hiring an agent. I don’t know a whole lot about basketball eligibility, but I was under the assumption that once an agent is hired, your eligibility is over. Unless there’s a contingency for currently injured players. 

13 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yeah, the ESPN alert I got said he will maintain eligibility while rehabbing his knee. Yet he intends on hiring an agent. I don’t know a whole lot about basketball eligibility, but I was under the assumption that once an agent is hired, your eligibility is over. Unless there’s a contingency for currently injured players. 

New rules allow players to hire agents and return to school. Deadline to return is May 29.

Selfishly we hope he comes back, but as Auburn men and women, we hope he goes to the NBA and does great.  Only helps Bruce Pearl with recruiting.   That is my take on it.   

44 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

New rules allow players to hire agents and return to school. Deadline to return is May 29.

Thanks for clearing this up. I was unaware of the change. Any word on the early results of his surgery?

WAR EAGLE!!!

39 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Wow. Crazy. 

Prospects can also return after the draft if they go undrafted only if they participated in the NBA Combine. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Prospects can also return after the draft if they go undrafted only if they participated in the NBA Combine. 

Is that what Harper, Brown, and Wiley did last year?

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Is that what Harper, Brown, and Wiley did last year?

It’s a brand new rule that barely appeased the masses after the shoe sandals. Wiley could have if the rule was already in place then. Don’t think Harper or Brown received an invite to the combine. Thus they pretty much knew they needed to return to school. 

You are correct all three tested the NBA waters and even did some private workouts.

18 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I hope he comes back, we'll need him and he can rehab his knee and leave a star!

Selfishly I feel like...

giphy (1).gif

40 minutes ago, SlocombTiger said:

Thanks for clearing this up. I was unaware of the change. Any word on the early results of his surgery?

WAR EAGLE!!!

Bruce said the week of his surgery when asked about it a few days later at the final 4 that it went great! War Eagle Chuma!!!!

Since he cant do workouts or the combine, I'd assume he's basically going to hear out GMs. The only people I could hear that'd make me say "okay, we're out", is if the Spurs, GS or MAYBE a Houston (just because they're so similar to what he already does) calls and say we're taking you in the first. 

It'd just be based around how much the right team matters versus the money. b/c if he comes back and doesn't get hurt, and at least shows he's as good without mobility limitations, he won't be low enough for those teams, but...

Golden State and the Spurs interest me because those front offices have enough people in place for them to be contenders for a while (even with Bob Myers leaving Oakland, probably) and by the time your rookie contract is up, most of their current big contract guys are gonna be washed and on their last 1 or 2 years. However, if you wait a season, the timeline skips ahead a year and you'll have the space for a supermax available, no doubt (assuming your heart is set on those teams and they're set on getting you, no matter where you're at)

19 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Since he cant do workouts or the combine, I'd assume he's basically going to hear out GMs. The only people I could hear that'd make me say "okay, we're out", is if the Spurs, GS or MAYBE a Houston (just because they're so similar to what he already does) calls and say we're taking you in the first. 

It'd just be based around how much the right team matters versus the money. b/c if he comes back and doesn't get hurt, and at least shows he's as good without mobility limitations, he won't be low enough for those teams, but...

Golden State and the Spurs interest me because those front offices have enough people in place for them to be contenders for a while (even with Bob Myers leaving Oakland, probably) and by the time your rookie contract is up, most of their current big contract guys are gonna be washed and on their last 1 or 2 years. However, if you wait a season, the timeline skips ahead a year and you'll have the space for a supermax available, no doubt (assuming your heart is set on those teams and they're set on getting you, no matter where you're at)

You forgot my Bucks!!!!  Fear the Deer

4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

You forgot my Bucks!!!!  Fear the Deer

I’m not a big nba fan, but oddly when I’m rooting for a team, it’s the bucks. They were my first my career team I was drafted to back in the day on 2k. Lol

This was back when they had guys like bogut, maggette, etc

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m not a big nba fan, but oddly when I’m rooting for a team, it’s the bucks. They were my first my career team I was drafted to back in the day on 2k. Lol

This was back when they had guys like bogut, maggette, etc

Fam I am going to need you to become a big NBA fan. All you need is that 1 player to be invested in and WOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHH you are off brodie!!!! No turning back and you are a bonafide superfan. Greek Freak would def be THAT DUDE for ya. Dude is going to end up being the best player in the league for several years. LETS GOOOOOO!!!!

Archived