AU players at NFL Combine.

GwillMac6

38 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Better than what Ricardo Louis did throwing Auburn under the bus in blaming us for his poor catching skills.  I still don't understand why he did that especially with how much Auburn fans adored him after the Prayer in Jordan-Hare.

Please show where Rico said that he couldn't catch because of Auburn.

Also, you are wrong about Auburn fans adoring him. People mostly said the same silly thing that you just did, which was that he couldn't catch. People say terrible things about all our receivers, because none of our receivers get proper development. 

Also, what kind of terrible fan looks at Rico's entire career, where he suffered through some of the most inept passing offenses in the history of a school that almost never produces good passing offenses, and adore him for one single play? The same ones who lined up to crap on him as soon as he was done here, I guess. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mikey said:

“I was developed pretty well at Auburn. A lot of people say the offense is simplistic, so I understand the criticisms, but the reality is we ran a lot of plays and a lot of routes that other teams run. All in all, I think I was well-prepared.”

It seems Slayton is satisfied with his development at Auburn.

Slayton was being complementary of AU, good for him.  wde

The real knife in AU's side is that there are apparently a lot of people that say AU's offense is simplistic and they're saying it as a criticism of AU's system.  Our players are having to explain themselves and build a case for their performance because "people", i.e. professionals in the sport of football don't understand what they see on the field in live action from our players?

Ryan Davis, receiver

“I know there were a lot of things I wasn’t able to do at Auburn, I wasn’t able to showcase.” said Davis, a flanker who was a jack-of-all-trades with the Tigers. “I was kind of asked to do certain things. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t capable of doing other things. Me being a team player, I was just doing what I was asked to do.”

“Me and Darius Slayton definitely want to change that narrative. Also the guys that are also in the NFL want to change that narrative as well and be able to show that, yes, Auburn does have great receivers. Maybe the offense doesn’t present itself to show those talents or shows the abilities, but I definitely want to take charge of [the idea] Auburn does have receivers.”

It's like our guys are having to work hard to sell themselves to the scouts, because the system they've been pigeon holed them somewhat.  Good luck to 'em changing the narrative and hopefully now with CGM as the OC, the offense will open up and allow his players to really show their abilities.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Slayton was being complementary of AU, good for him.  wde

The real knife in AU's side is that there are apparently a lot of people that say AU's offense is simplistic and they're saying it as a criticism of AU's system.  Our players are having to explain themselves and build a case for their performance because "people", i.e. professionals in the sport of football don't understand what they see on the field in live action from our players?

Exactly. Slayton isn't complimenting Auburn. Jesus, what a silly thing to believe. He's fluffing his resume so he'll get drafted in a decent spot. Unbelievably sad that our players have to deal with this. 

Two possibilities for interpreting Slayton's comments as a good thing: either trolling, or even worse, being blind enough to actually believe it. 

You can't put any stock whatsoever in what some people post anymore. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly. Slayton isn't complimenting Auburn. Jesus, what a silly thing to believe. He's fluffing his resume so he'll get drafted in a decent spot. Unbelievably sad that our players have to deal with this. 

Two possibilities for interpreting Slayton's comments as a good thing: either trolling, or even worse, being blind enough to actually believe it. 

You can't put any stock whatsoever in what some people post anymore. 

Nailed it! 

Mikey read the entire article, he then chose to pick one snip of a comment, highlight it in his post and deduce that, "It seems Slayton is satisfied with his development at Auburn."  WTF?

Slayton is having to make a hard sell to scouts and apparently the feedback he's received so far has been critical of AU's offensive system.  

Good luck to our guys, seriously.....hang in there men and work like crazy to change that narrative.   

21 minutes ago, keesler said:

Mikey read the entire article, he then chose to pick one snip of a comment, highlight it in his post and deduce that, "It seems Slayton is satisfied with his development at Auburn."  WTF?

Why yes. Yes I did. All the garbage complaints from rivals and haters are blindly accepted as the gospel truth, but when a guy says something complimentary he's "just being nice? :thumbsdown:

1 hour ago, keesler said:

now with CGM as the OC, the offense will open up and allow his players to really show their abilities.

Is this part sarcasm?

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why yes. Yes I did. All the garbage complaints from rivals and haters are blindly accepted as the gospel truth, but when a guy says something complimentary he's "just being nice? :thumbsdown:

Davis & Slayton are having to change the minds of the professionals that are evaluating them right now.  They're trying to change a narrative,  help the scouts see and understand that they have the capability and ability to be much more versatile than what they were allowed to show at AU.

The pro's are critical of AU's offensive system, they claim it's simplistic.  Although, I fail understand how the hell it can be labeled simplistic and yet be so unproductive on the field.:dead:  

Our guys are working hard to sell themselves in hopes of a good draft spot because they (in their own words) weren't allowed to showcase their talents and versatility on the field at Auburn.  In other words, the AU WR's are capable of so much more than they were able to show while in O&B.

Do you honestly see a positive narrative relative to AU's offensive system being drawn from the comments our own players are stating publicly? 

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is this part sarcasm?

I inserted "hopefully" in there, because everyone hopes CGM will turn over a new leaf.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

I inserted "hopefully" in there, because everyone hopes CGM will turn over a new leaf.

Hope spring eternal, I fall for it every year.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Please show where Rico said that he couldn't catch because of Auburn.

"In discussing his selection by the Browns on a conference call with reporters in Cleveland, Louis said he was "not developed" at Auburn, according to the team's website. The comment drew the ire of fans on social media Saturday afternoon."

Also, you are wrong about Auburn fans adoring him. People mostly said the same silly thing that you just did, which was that he couldn't catch. People say terrible things about all our receivers, because none of our receivers get proper development. 

It was well known Louis somehow made the impossible catches, but dropped all of the ones he should have caught.  Here is what NFL scouts said about him before the draft:

“Don’t see anything draftable about him. I don’t like his routes and I don’t like his hands. You like him better than me, I guess.” — NFC southeastern area scout.

“Louis has good size and could help himself with a good 40 time at the combine – (he did, running 4.43) –  but he’s still raw and his hands aren’t consistent enough. It may take a little while, but I see enough upside in Louis to consider him a future NFL backup with some ‘big slot’ potential.”

I liked Ricardo Louis.  That is why I said fans adored him because I did.  Especially after that one play.  Many feel the same way.  That play will forever stay with me.  Especially during that time, you are correct.  Our receivers were not being developed at all.  I have said multiple times I do not think DC did much once he recruited kids to come here.  That is why I am very impressed with Kodi.  Our WR's seem to have better awareness and have better pass-catching ability.

Also, what kind of terrible fan looks at Rico's entire career, where he suffered through some of the most inept passing offenses in the history of a school that almost never produces good passing offenses, and adore him for one single play? The same ones who lined up to crap on him as soon as he was done here, I guess.

I do not know if that was a shot at me, and if it was it was uncalled for.  Yeah you can adore a player for a single play that defines him at Auburn.  Same thing with Chris Davis on the Kick Six, or Wes Byrum nailing the 50 yarder at Florida, twice.  It is not a bad thing for a play like that to be the highlight of your career.  I am not crapping on him, I was just pointing out that Slayton could have said much worse, as others have done before him and he chose not to.  I think Slayton and Davis took the high road and I praise them for that.  Very well spoken.

Not being developed at AU =/= saying he can't catch bc of AU. It means he was not developed as a route runner or being taught the nuances of the position -- which the NFL scout you quoted essentially stated himself.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

"In discussing his selection by the Browns on a conference call with reporters in Cleveland, Louis said he was "not developed" at Auburn, according to the team's website. The comment drew the ire of fans on social media Saturday afternoon."

That's not a reference to an inability to catch the ball. It's the exact same thing that Slayton and Davis said. The only difference is he said it after he already got drafted and didn't have to pretend any longer that he played in an adequate passing offense.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It was well known Louis somehow made the impossible catches, but dropped all of the ones he should have caught. 

You mistake opinion for fact.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I have said multiple times I do not think DC did much once he recruited kids to come here.  That is why I am very impressed with Kodi.  Our WR's seem to have better awareness and have better pass-catching ability.

Yeah, there are a few of you who say that. I can only guess why.

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Not being developed at AU =/= saying he can't catch at AU. It means he was not developed as a route runner or being taught the nuances of the position -- which the NFL scout you quoted essentially stated himself.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's not a reference to an inability to catch the ball. It's the exact same thing that Slayton and Davis said. The only difference is he said it after he already got drafted and didn't have to pretend any longer that he played in an adequate passing offense.

I understand that.  I was just stating the fact, whether I was right or wrong about him saying dropping passes.  And I was in fact wrong that he blamed Auburn for his ability to drop passes.  He still blamed Auburn publicly, which was more my point that Slayton and Davis did not go after Auburn like Louis did.

You mistake opinion for fact.

I literally just showed you what NFL scouts were saying.  It's not opinion if it was widely known he was not catching well.  In 2015, Louis had 86 targets and 46 catches, or 55.4% rate.  He was targeted 28% of the time that year.  His success rate was 43.4%.  

Yeah, there are a few of you who say that. I can only guess why.

Started out with a few and are continuing to grow.  WDE has even come out and said he is starting to become very impressed with Kodi.

12 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

He still blamed Auburn publicly, which was more my point that Slayton and Davis did not go after Auburn like Louis did.

Again, he had a job and they don't. So they found a diplomatic way of saying the exact same thing.

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I literally just showed you what NFL scouts were saying.

You provided two quotes and one said he was "inconsistent", which you can say about at least half the receivers in any given draft. Both quotes were different from what you said. And both quotes are still opinions. I guess all that stuff Nawrocki (sp?) said about Cam are facts?

15 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Started out with a few and are continuing to grow.  WDE has even come out and said he is starting to become very impressed with Kodi.

If WDE is impressed with how Kodi is developing receivers, or if he's said that Kodi has done a better job of that than CDC did, then I'd be surprised. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Again, he had a job and they don't. So they found a diplomatic way of saying the exact same thing.

All I was trying to say was they had a good way of saying it and not burning any bridges.

You provided two quotes and one said he was "inconsistent", which you can say about at least half the receivers in any given draft. Both quotes were different from what you said. And both quotes are still opinions. I guess all that stuff Nawrocki (sp?) said about Cam are facts?

One said "I don't like his hands."  And the other said "His hands aren't very consistent."  Both were in direct reference to his pass catching.  Those can be taking from statistics, which you may not have seen my edit to my post above.  I went back and added statistics that you may want to review.

If WDE is impressed with how Kodi is developing receivers, or if he's said that Kodi has done a better job of that than CDC did, then I'd be surprised.

He has said it a few times.

In conclusion Loof, I was not attacking Louis, then or now.  Really I was more shocked when Louis said those things because he meant a lot to the fanbase and the students as I was a student at that time (2013 graduate) and would know.  I was using him for comparison to how Slayton and Davis approached it.  Not sure why you came across so aggressive, that isn't like you.  You know that if you just have a normal discussion with me I am pretty light-hearted and will admit when wrong like I did above.  I see no shame when admitting being wrong.  Even when I provided facts and quotes to fortify what I said you still dismissed me completely.  Just my takeways, that's all.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

“I was developed pretty well at Auburn. A lot of people say the offense is simplistic, so I understand the criticisms, but the reality is we ran a lot of plays and a lot of routes that other teams run. All in all, I think I was well-prepared.”

It seems Slayton is satisfied with his development at Auburn.

Image result for meme delusional

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Ryan Davis, receiver

“I know there were a lot of things I wasn’t able to do at Auburn, I wasn’t able to showcase.” said Davis, a flanker who was a jack-of-all-trades with the Tigers. “I was kind of asked to do certain things. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t capable of doing other things. Me being a team player, I was just doing what I was asked to do.”

“Me and Darius Slayton definitely want to change that narrative. Also the guys that are also in the NFL want to change that narrative as well and be able to show that, yes, Auburn does have great receivers. Maybe the offense doesn’t present itself to show those talents or shows the abilities, but I definitely want to take charge of [the idea] Auburn does have receivers.”

It's like our guys are having to work hard to sell themselves to the scouts, because the system they've been pigeon holed them somewhat.  Good luck to 'em changing the narrative and hopefully now with CGM as the OC, the offense will open up and allow his players to really show their abilities.

Same ol Gus I see. SMH. No one holds our great potential back more than the head coach himself. 

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Same ol Gus I see. SMH. No one holds our great potential back more than the head coach himself. 

lol

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Lol he just responded to you man . Hardly aggressive .

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Like Vince McMahon. Built the company into a monster. Assembled all the best talent. And still manages to screw up majorly and piss off the fans on a regular basis.

Image result for vince mcmahon gif

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Like Vince McMahon. Built the company into a monster. Assembled all the best talent. And still manages to screw up majorly and piss off the fans on a regular basis.

Image result for vince mcmahon gif

WHERE IS OUR ATTITUDE ERA UNDER GUS loofy!!?!?! WHERE?!?!? At least vinny mac had that! hahahaha. But excellent point sir! WOO!!! WAR DAMN BABY!!!

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

WHERE IS OUR ATTITUDE ERA UNDER GUS loofy!!?!?! WHERE?!?!? At least vinny mac had that! hahahaha. But excellent point sir! WOO!!! WAR DAMN BABY!!!

I want HLA back :(  BUT we're not going to get that. On to other attitude! We're never going to have straight DX-level heels on our roster- Pickens shut that door for good- but maybe guys like Nix and Pappoe can straddle that Stone Cold, Rock fence of bad guys that you root for??? No punk ass Johnny Football money hands but maybe some Baker Mayfield face taunting?? I HAVE A DREAM, GWILLY!

Archived