AU players at NFL Combine.

GwillMac6

Dear lord we can take a thread that should be fun and positive and make it a b****-fest

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Dear lord we can take a thread that should be fun and positive and make it a b****-fest

No

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Don't remember hearing that. Any substantiated source for that?

Yes it was fact. As soon as DC left Will got PT. Hastings has talked about it publicly. 

Just now, alexava said:

Yes it was fact. As soon as DC left Will got PT. Hastings has talked about it publicly. 

Hastings has said that Sean White discovered him. I haven't seen anything else. 

But, yes, it's a fact that Will Hastings played WR after the one year that he had with CDC as a true freshman walk-on kicker. That is factually accurate. What is not even remotely accurate is that "everybody"- if anyone- around here was mad about it. And what is very much up for debate is how much say CDC had in it. 

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Unfortunately, it is 100% relevant that "AU players at the NFL Combine" are having to "change the narrative" about the offense they played in. 

Edit: Bear in mind that there are only 6 guys there and 2 of them are talking about this. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hastings has said that Sean White discovered him. I haven't seen anything else. 

But, yes, it's a fact that Will Hastings played WR after the one year that he had with CDC as a true freshman walk-on kicker. That is factually accurate. What is not even remotely accurate is that "everybody"- if anyone- around here was mad about it. And what is very much up for debate is how much say CDC had in it. 

He praised Kodi. Said he was not going to be considered at WR until KB became coach. Straight from his mouth. I think his dad even mentioned it but might be remembering that part wrong. 

29 minutes ago, alexava said:

Where is the link? Not saying it’s not true but you just said it was a fact and right out of Hastings own mouth.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Since when do position coaches decide who they get?   Gus makes all decisions on offense, never heard that rumor.  I would call BS

It’s not even a made up rumor. You’re just out of touch:

“As an Auburn freshman in 2015, Hastings served as a backup kicker to Lou Groza Award finalist Daniel Carlson and attempted a pair of onside kicks against Mississippi State and LSU. The only reps he got at receiver were in fall camp when the Tigers needed an extra body to replace D'haquille Williams, who missed the first six days of practice. 

"I don't think Coach (Dameyune) Craig saw him as a valid receiver, and I can't blame him given his size," Scott Hastings said. "He doesn't look like the typical SEC receiver... After Coach Craig left (in February), boy, it changed quickly. I don't know if it was Kodi (Burns) or Gus, but I think it was literally the day after Coach Craig left that one of them told Will they wanted him to work at receiver."

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

He praised Kodi. Said he was not going to be considered at WR until KB became coach. Straight from his mouth. I think his dad even mentioned it but might be remembering that part wrong. 

Here's a good article written in September of last year. Interesting that Sean White's name doesn't come up when the story is told anymore, but I get it.

Seems Horton was the primary guy but that Craig was in on getting him here, too. Interesting that Arkansas, the only major program in the state where Hastings set records, had no interest in him.

Here's where Hastings talks about Sean White discovering him.

And here's one from 2016 that explains a little bit more of what Kodi saw and Craig didn't. Basically, CDC did give him a chance and he blew it. Then, in the offseason, he worked out with Sean and set some records in some agility drills. And then they needed depth at WR. And when he got another shot, he didn't blow it. 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Where is the link? Not saying it’s not true but you just said it was a fact and right out of Hastings own mouth.

I don’t have a link. I saw it happen. 

We are arguing a point that we all for the most part agree on. I don’t think anyone is denying that KB played an instrumental part in Will Hasting’s PT or that he played more under KB tutelage. The point we are in disagreement on is the fan base reaction of Will’s PT. 

Just now, alexava said:

I don’t have a link. I saw it happen. 

I already posted the link.

Just now, DAG said:

We are arguing a point that we all for the most part agree on. I don’t think anyone is denying that KB played an instrumental part in Will Hasting’s PT or that he played more under KB tutelage. The point we are in disagreement on is the fan base reaction of Will hasting PT. 

That, or that the Will Hastings story makes CKB a better WR coach than CDC. It doesn't.

Our WRs still play about like they used to. The passing game still looks about like it used to. And the WRs at the combine are still saying the same things that the last group did. 

Y'all remember the infamous Gruden interview with Cam? When he couldn't answer some questions because of the offense he played in? Same thing our WRs keep talking about when they leave here. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s not even a made up rumor. You’re just out of touch:

“As an Auburn freshman in 2015, Hastings served as a backup kicker to Lou Groza Award finalist Daniel Carlson and attempted a pair of onside kicks against Mississippi State and LSU. The only reps he got at receiver were in fall camp when the Tigers needed an extra body to replace D'haquille Williams, who missed the first six days of practice. 

"I don't think Coach (Dameyune) Craig saw him as a valid receiver, and I can't blame him given his size," Scott Hastings said. "He doesn't look like the typical SEC receiver... After Coach Craig left (in February), boy, it changed quickly. I don't know if it was Kodi (Burns) or Gus, but I think it was literally the day after Coach Craig left that one of them told Will they wanted him to work at receiver."

His dad seems to be out of touch.  how could Kodi the day after DC quit have decided that while he was coaching for another school and didn't probably even know his name.  That alone questions all his credibility.  Second of all he was only there to fill a hole.  The reps he got during that time, gave him the opportunity in spring ball when Gus made the decision when they actually started practicing .  His dad just is speculating by saying "I think"   not I was told or anything that says he has actual knowledge.   He was a 3rd string kicker at best and showed he could earn some reps at WR do to issues with WR's.  

LOL.  He just started practicing at WR too late too earn playing time in the fall.  When he tested out at drills he tested through the roof which gave him more attention from the staff,  plus his work ethic was being used initially as motivation to push other guys.   Everything he got was earned by him, not given to him from a coach.

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

When he tested out at drills he tested through the roof which gave him more attention from the staff

Not from Craig apparently. :dunno:

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Not from Craig apparently. :dunno:

testing was after he left, like it always is before spring practice to evaluate how hard they conditioned

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

testing was after he left, like it always is before spring practice to evaluate how hard they conditioned

“The only reps he got at receiver were in fall camp when the Tigers needed an extra body to replace D'haquille Williams, who missed the first six days of practice. “

Maybe he should've been tested earlier... 

This quote speaks volumes to me:

"I don't think Coach (Dameyune) Craig saw him as a valid receiver, and I can't blame him given his size," Scott Hastings said. "He doesn't look like the typical SEC receiver... After Coach Craig left (in February), boy, it changed quickly.”

But I guess Hastings own dad is out of touch.

3 hours ago, alexava said:

I remember this as well , I'm not sure where I read it at.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I’m sorry I missed your good research:

“Nobody gave me a chance. Then coach Burns came in and he gave me a chance,” Hastings said. “He really believed in me more than I believed in myself. He really helped me out and got me to where I am. It’s been definitely a crazy ride.”

41 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

I remember this as well , I'm not sure where I read it at.

Bro, I posted a link earlier in the thread in this regards haha. He credits KB for giving him a chance.

Archived