Men vs. Mississippi State game thread

WarTiger

Petty will have a good game against us. He's a different player at home. We just have to be hitting our shots. That's the bottom line. As evidenced by the game vs Miss St if we hit enough of our shots it will mitigate any and all holes we have. No offensive boards? Getting dominated on the glass? Making shots cancels out all of that. It's a big "if" and on the road we have not been able to really sustain that type of play and survive but who knows? We are starting to get on a roll hopefully. Got a close, road win vs Georgia and now a win vs a team that's locked in the tourney. Trending in the right direction, let's keep it going!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

We beat their bigger, slower players with our speed and quickness the 1st game. Don't see why we can't do it again.

We can beat bammer.  It’s Tennessee that seems like a stretch. 

Good thing about the UT game is that it's at home where we realistically can beat anybody in the country. Particularly if Wiley is able to give us 10-12 good minutes and 5 extra fouls. 

16 hours ago, alexava said:

I give us a good chance to beat bammer. I expect it really. I don’t think we are even capable of beating Tennessee. But you never know, we just got killed in rebounds and won a game. We’ll have to do that again. 

The fact that the game is at Auburn Arena gives us a chance 

16 hours ago, alexava said:

I give us a good chance to beat bammer. I expect it really. I don’t think we are even capable of beating Tennessee. But you never know, we just got killed in rebounds and won a game. We’ll have to do that again. 

I'd pump the breaks on "expecting" us to beat any team on the road. We are a different type of team away from home so I will personally stop short of expecting to beat them. Their backs are against the wall with their rival coming into their place. It's going to be a major challenge for us against a team that we just flatly don't match up well physically with. That means we have to be hot from outside for the entire duration of the game and honestly we just can't count on that to happen away from Auburn Arena. JMO

2 hours ago, alexava said:

We can beat bammer.  It’s Tennessee that seems like a stretch. 

Yepppppp!!!

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I'd pump the breaks on "expecting" us to beat any team on the road. We are a different type of team away from home so I will personally stop short of expecting to beat them. Their backs are against the wall with their rival coming into their place. It's going to be a major challenge for us against a team that we just flatly don't match up well physically with. That means we have to be hot from outside for the entire duration of the game and honestly we just can't count on that to happen away from Auburn Arena. JMO

Add to that we are on the road, hostile environment, in-state rivals, but they are also presenting the Iron Bowl trophy to football team during this game.  So you know the crowd is going to be huge and on top of it.  All bad signs for AU.  Not saying we can't win, just that there are a lot of things pointing against it at the moment

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Add to that we are on the road, hostile environment, in-state rivals, but they are also presenting the Iron Bowl trophy to football team during this game.  So you know the crowd is going to be huge and on top of it.  All bad signs for AU.  Not saying we can't win, just that there are a lot of things pointing against it at the moment

Forgot about that. The crowd is going to be about as electric as possible for a basketball game. I hope Bryce Brown's final appearance there results in him dropping a 30 burger!! And Horace rips the rim off as a parting gift.

I'm going to ask my cousin his opinion on how good Brown is compared to the other guards in this league.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Forgot about that. The crowd is going to be about as electric as possible for a basketball game. I hope Bryce Brown's final appearance there results in him dropping a 30 burger!! And Horace rips the rim off as a parting gift.

Speaking on Horace, if the hybrid forward/bigs can continue spacing the floor like they did the past couple times at home, this can reasonably be a win. Just cant let their bigs crowd the paint all day.

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Speaking on Horace, if the hybrid forward/bigs can continue spacing the floor like they did the past couple times at home, this can reasonably be a win. Just cant let their bigs crowd the paint all day.

I suspect Avery will game plan to get our bigs in foul trouble early and try to scheme Harper and Brown out of the game to make someone else beat them. I hope Dunbar can play and play well. I hope Danjel can give us 6-8 points. And what this may truly come down to is whether or not Jvon can play the point for 10 minutes without the wheels falling off. 

I expect Chuma to have a good game he has slowly started to assert himself. We all know Brown has to be hot and we need MAC to play D against their big men like he did when we played in Auburn. At Auburn MAC played very physical and there was a lot of banging down low by both teams and the ref's let it go. If they call a couple of Mickey Mouse fouls on MAC early we are in trouble.

That said we need Purifoy, Doughty, and Dunbar to step up beating their big men down the floor and getting rebounds. If bama gets a lot of Offensive rebounds we lose. If we match them or play them close on the boards we can beat bama.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm going to ask my cousin his opinion on how good Brown is compared to the other guards in this league.

That would be good to hear from a PG in the league. I am sure he would shoot it straight with you too. Link me in when you do.  Curious to know what he thinks. 

updykes will drive the ball, and try to score in the paint on every possession....i will be surprised if we can hold up tonight....refs will favor them, as they always do in turdville....the best thing that could happen to sports is that somebody should figure out a way to officiate a game with a computer program and eliminate the need for corrupt,lazy trash to play "look at me".....refs will decide the game tonight,wait and see

This will be our 6th game on ESPN U this season. That has to be a record for a SEC team to be on there for a single season lol. Good enough to get off Sec Network but not good enough to get a lot of games on uno and the deuce. 

Archived