ESPN Says Auburn most Interesting QB Battle for 2019

doc4aday

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So based on this post, you'd have Joey, Malik and Bo then. Nothing Malik has shown or not shown should put him lower on the list than some guy from HS 

It isnt fair to compare him to a generational prospect lol. Saying "If Trevor could do it", Trevor could've took jobs probably everywhere except OSU and Alabama, its not a similar situation. Bo's nice but the fact that we could even have this discussion shows he's not THAT nice

I misread that my fault. No I don’t think that’s fair to compare him to Trevor, but let’s not act like he couldn’t come to spring camp and be better than every single QB we have on the Auburn roster right now. All of them are fairly green tbh. I don’t know much about Sandberg to go one way or another. That is not the same thing as Trevor who had to dethrone a truly battle tested QB,who led Clemson to the playoffs the previous year. We still don’t know how good of a passer JG is and he hardly got any reps last year. We kind of know a little bit about MW, but in the small amount of time that I saw him play, there wasn’t a wow factor. IMO, the only thing either of those guys have from an advantage point is a little more game experience, but history has shown that the more talented play can overcome that.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

IMO, the only thing either of those guys have from an advantage point is a little more game experience, but history has shown that the more talented play can overcome that.

both are at least two years older than Bo, physically more mature and have had two practice seasons worth of exposure working with the team and the Auburn offense......JMO but that is worth a lot.   It's about more than just the minutes on the field at JHS. :dunno:

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

both are at least two years older than Bo, physically more mature and have had two practice seasons worth of exposure working with the team and the Auburn offense......JMO but that is worth a lot.   It's about more than just the minutes on the field at JHS. :dunno:

Yeah you should tell that to the last few playoff teams having freshmen make immediate impact during games. And minutes on the field is the priority. How else are you truly going to grow as a player? That doesn’t even make sense. But anyway, if Bo Nix is the best player he should start. Period. The guy is a 5 star who had offers from Clemson and Bama.. I think they know talent when they see it.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Playing Malik the least talented of the 3 QBs JUST because he has the most "experience" is such a safe move from Gus. It is what he always resorts to though.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the silly "Malik should play because he's already played" talk. Gus has refused to make a change in the past even when it was obvious that what we were doing wasn't going to work. (See: Clemson 2016 and 2017, uga same years, LSU 2017...)

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the silly "Malik should play because he's already played" talk. Gus has refused to make a change in the past even when it was obvious that what we were doing wasn't going to work. (See: Clemson 2016 and 2017, uga same years, LSU 2017...)

Don’t forget the game that started it all, the 2015 LSU game.  That was the game I saw, for the first time, Gus give up.  The following game (MSU) Gus had a typical first drive, but didn’t trust his new QB enough to be competitive.  The rest is a very bad trend in QB and backup QB development.

ESPN is correct: it will be the most interesting QB battle this season.  I hope one QB is head and shoulders above the rest, otherwise we are in for a long season. JMO.

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

O LORD HERE WE GO!!!!! You know it is the off season when the comments about wanting to go back to the 2013 offense comes up again. haha. MALIK IS NOT EVEN THE BEST DT QB ON OUR ROSTER!!! That would be Joey G?! AM I SCREAMING? YES I am!!!!!!!!! lol. I AM LOSING MY FREAKING MIND OVER SOMEONE thinking Malik Willis is capable of being a starting QB in the SEC. Just because he wears 14 and has run some does not mean he is anything close to Nick Marshall. He is not. Nick was a elite level athlete with one of the best cutting abilities AU has ever had at any position. Much less QB. IF you want to run anything resembling the 2013 offense why not go with Joey G? He is by far your best bet. He is bigger faster stronger and just flat out better than Malik. But the 2013 cannot be run because you need to have ya know a actual good offensive line and H Back. We have neither of those things. If we tried to run the 2013 offense we would get mauled. 

Well Bo was the second best ranked QB in his class will you settle for that? And yah he absolutely already could be the best QB on our roster. How is that so hard to believe? Dude is a stud. I will say none of this matters because this is Malzahns last season barring a miracle season and with our schedule I do not see it. I am excited for the future with a true elite QB groomer as our next head coach. There is hope but it is a ways off. 

I thought we have been running the same offense since 2010. Just my opinion 

11 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah you should tell that to the last few playoff teams having freshmen make immediate impact during games. And minutes on the field is the priority. How else are you truly going to grow as a player? That doesn’t even make sense. But anyway, if Bo Nix is the best player he should start. Period. The guy is a 5 star who had offers from Clemson and Bama.. I think they know talent when they see it.

More than 100 Div 1 teams...how many had a freshman QB and winning season?   .   The two you mention were surrounded by half dozen NFL players each.   You are taking something that is a rare exception and trying to make it sound normal. .  If he is the best QB we have, then he ought to play but...if Bo is the best QB we have, I worry about next season. 

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

More than 100 Div 1 teams...how many had a freshman QB and winning season?   .   The two you mention were surrounded by half dozen NFL players each.   You are taking something that is a rare exception and trying to make it sound normal. .  If he is the best QB we have, then he ought to play but...if Bo is the best QB we have, I worry about next season. 

They also were highly rated recruits like Bo. How many Division 1 teams recruit legit 5 star QBs? It’s not unheard of for a freaking 5 star QB to come in and start.  We aren’t talking about chopped liver here. Ponder that  next time before you post.

36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Tate Martell, Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence, Sean Patterson, Jameis Winston, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, etc didn’t start right away. 

And I hope we don’t have to start Bo right away. It’s not like Bo will be afforded tbe amount of NFL OL  and skill position players that Jalen Hurt’s has. There’s no need in rushing into Bo’s painful learning curve. 

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

They also were highly rated recruits like Bo. How many Division 1 teams recruit legit 5 star QBs? It’s not unheard of for a freaking 5 star QB to come in and start.  We aren’t talking about chopped liver here. Ponder that  next time before you post.

Well….guess Jeff beat me to it.....and he only had part of the list.....it's actually unusual for 5* QBs to start their first season...  Go back and look at any list 5* QBs from the past 5 or 6 years and note that a good many of them don't even end up playing for the schools that recruited them....period, much less starting their freshman year.   

Meanwhile, do a little research before you make a snarky response....

Early enrollment and going through spring practice changes the deal for true freshmen at all positions.  Much better chance to start now.

I cannot wait till spring practice starts. It is going to be fun to see who wins the job. I like Joey and have for some time.  I do not know as much as many of you on this board about skill set and all and will admit this. Why do I like Joey?  He was a very highly rated athlete coming out of HS and had reasonable QB experience coming in. He has the speed & size to create headaches for defenses.  I am not sure of his passing skills and hope this spring we will see a QB in him that can compete and run Gus-ball as well as anyone who can run it.

I am hoping that Dilly will have what it takes as a QB coach to get the best out of all of our QBs and let the cream rise to the top. From what I have seen with Willis is that he just is not an SEC caliber QB just my own opinion for what it is worth.

I like Bo a lot and am anxious to see what he can do this spring. Who knows, he could come in and blow away the competition. Who knows though. I cast my lot at this point with Joey for better or worse. If he fails then at least I will know that he has been given a fair chance to win the job. If he succeeds...then more power to Joey!

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Well….guess Jeff beat me to it.....and he only had part of the list.....it's actually unusual for 5* QBs to start their first season...  Go back and look at any list 5* QBs from the past 5 or 6 years and note that a good many of them don't even end up playing for the schools that recruited them....period, much less starting their freshman year.   

Meanwhile, do a little research before you make a snarky response....

Baker Mayfield - 3 star QB. Started at Texas Tech his freshman year. Did not initially start, but how many 3 Star QBs initially start? [ Actually, Baker did start as a true freshman in the initial game. He was the first freshman walk-on to start a season opener for a BCS team.]

Tate Martell - J.T. Barrett, Dwayne Haskins, and Joe Burrow are on the roster. Really?

Trevor Lawrence - Ends up starting as a freshman. However, he is competing with KB who led them to a National Playoffs last year. That's reasonable that he won't start right off the bat.

Justin Fields- Competing with Jake Fromm who led UGA to the NC game the previous year. Hmm. Probably will start for tOSU next year

Shea Patterson - As a true freshman, he has some guy named Chad Kelly starting over him. Ended up starting that year because Chad got hurt

Jamies Winston- Has senior E.J. Manuel starting in front him (Drafted in the 1st round). Lead FSU to a 12 win season (Only the third time in the history of FSU at the time).

Kyler Murray - Has 5 star Kyle Allen ahead of him on the depth chart (Current NFL QB). Ends up starting at the end of the season.

Only scenario comparable to what Bo Nix is entering from the list above is Texas Tech. I wouldn't give Bo Nix a good chance to start if Stidham was still on the roster or KB enrolled here. Mind you; I am not calling out  Jeff. I 100 percent agree with him. I do not want Bo Nix starting right away, but he absolutely could start based on the "experience" he has in front of him. Do you know how many pass attempts these three QBs have? A total of 16. And one of them has been here for two years.

5-star QBs based on 247:

2018: Justin Fields (no starts), Trevor Lawrence (Started at least one game), J.T Daniels (Started at least one game)

2017: Davis mills (No starts),  Hunter Johnson ( No starts),  Tua ( No starts)

2016:  Shea Patterson (Started at least one game); Jacob Eason (Started at least one game)

2015:  Josh Rosen (Started at least one game); Blake Barnett ( Zero starts); Kyler Murray (Started at least one game).

2014: Kyle Allen (Started at least one game) - Remember in his second game starting he lit up a #3 Auburn at JH.

2013: Max Brown (Zero Starts), Christian Hackenberg ( Started at least one game).

2012: Winston (Zero Starts; Kiel (Zero starts)

2011: Driskel (Zero); Braxton Miller ( At least one start).

9/18 of these QBs, so that is 1 out of 2 chance, they will start at least one game in their first season. Not too shabby.

Is this enough research, sir?

Texas Tech named walk-on true freshman quarterback Baker Mayfield as the starter at the position, marking the first season opening start by a true freshman in school history and the first walk-on freshman to start a season opener for a BCS team.

Source: Trotter, Jake (August 30, 2013). "Source: Tech to Start Baker Mayfield". ESPN. Retrieved August 30, 2013.

Not going to get into this argument, but if Willis is our starter everyone better stock up on Maalox, and Gus should go ahead and put some moving companies on speed dial.

One would think that Gus should realize that 2019 is the season hanging in the balance for him as to whether he will return in 2020. We will have to be extremely competitive in every game we play and will need to win 9 or more games for Gus to return in 2020. Many of us know this and will agree. Gus is depending on Gus to make it happen. If he goes into stubborn mode and costs us games we should have won, he is in trouble. I want this team to win a lot of games in 2019 regardless who is the HC or QB. It is the players who I am pulling for to make it happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived