DNC Says It Will Exclude Fox News From Televising Its 2020 Debates

homersapien

On 3/6/2019 at 2:35 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Kind of dumb to me.  Agree to let Fox do at least one but put the qualifier on there that Chris Wallace is the only person allowed to moderate.

1) He's an impeccable journalist who routinely calls out everyone on their crap.

2) You still reach a wide audience of voters that otherwise won't even listen to you. 

3) Wallace is very likely to moderate a debate in the general.  Getting that experience to his style can only help.

Agree with everything but limiting moderation to Chris Wallace, although I think he is a good choice. Fox has many capable journalist.

4 hours ago, kd4au said:

I guess our ideas of main stream are different. I consider Fox a cable news. The ones I named ABC,CBS and NBC have a nightly news that you can get without cable.

Fox is very straight without bias on the news cast. The other three, hell no. Since Hurricane Micheal I have been limited to window antenna or whatever they call it. The big 3 always get their twist in......hard to watch. 

18 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Agree with everything but limiting moderation to Chris Wallace, although I think he is a good choice. Fox has many capable journalist.

If I'm the DNC and calling the shots, then I want who I perceive to be the most impeccable of their journalists doing the moderation.  He's that guy.  And again, he's very likely to moderate one of the three general debates too, so getting used to his style isn't a bad thing.

15 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I don’t think that just because it’s on cable you can rule out that it’s not mainstream. It’s one of the most-viewed news networks in the country. That’s pretty mainstream. 

I'm good with Fox being considered MSM. I was just explaining my previous post. Hell I wish everyone would watch Fox and stop being brainwashed by those in the liberal media.

23 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Just like CNN , MSNBC and 90% of the MSM are an extension of the Democratic Party.

I sometimes wonder who is in control of who. Do the demorats control the media or does the media control the demorats?  There is no doubt they are working together, but who is calling the shots?

11 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Fox is very straight without bias on the news cast. The other three, hell no. Since Hurricane Micheal I have been limited to window antenna or whatever they call it. The big 3 always get their twist in......hard to watch. 

I cut the cord a year ago, cable just got to expensive. Your right about the big 3 they can not give Trump credit for anything without putting a well placed knife in his back at the same time. And I would say most people never even know it.

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If I'm the DNC and calling the shots, then I want who I perceive to be the most impeccable of their journalists doing the moderation.  He's that guy.  And again, he's very likely to moderate one of the three general debates too, so getting used to his style isn't a bad thing.

You do realize that the dnc is not interested in fairness don't you? They want someone that will collude with them and they're afraid Wallace wont give their choice the questions ahead of time. Like Donna Brazil and who was it CNN.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

You do realize that the dnc is not interested in fairness don't you? They want someone that will collude with them and they're afraid Wallace wont give their choice the questions ahead of time. Like Donna Brazil and who was it CNN.

Yep, they did that last time.  So did Fox with Trump (or did you miss that report?).

But you're also looking at a totally different primary race this time.  Over a dozen candidates and all but one are actually registered Dems.  DNC has no choice but to be fair this time or they risk alienating actual members of their party.

I still think it's dumb for them not to have at least one debate on Fox with conditions, but I do understand their reasoning, which ultimately comes down to money.  From their perspective, why feed a beast high ratings and thus high ad revenue when they will turn and use that money to promote your opponent in the general?  

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yep, they did that last time.  So did Fox with Trump (or did you miss that report?).

But you're also looking at a totally different primary race this time.  Over a dozen candidates and all but one are actually registered Dems.  DNC has no choice but to be fair this time or they risk alienating actual members of their party.

I still think it's dumb for them not to have at least one debate on Fox with conditions, but I do understand their reasoning, which ultimately comes down to money.  From their perspective, why feed a beast high ratings and thus high ad revenue when they will turn and use that money to promote your opponent in the general?  

Yes I did miss that,who at Fox gave Trump the questions? There are a lot of people running but one will be their fav, like crooked Hillary was over Bernie.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Yes I did miss that,who at Fox gave Trump the questions? There are a lot of people running but one will be their fav, like crooked Hillary was over Bernie.

Roger Ailes.  So it literally came from the top.  Long read, but it's in this well researched report.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/03/11/the-making-of-the-fox-news-white-house

Also, as I've said before, the DNC had no reason to treat Bernie fairly.  He's not a Democrat and doesn't officially belong to the party.  People forget that the Republican and Democratic parties are private entities.  Primaries are not required at all to nominate a presidential candidate.  Hillary had spent years raising money for the party and backing other Dems in races, votes, etc.  Bernie?  Not so much.  So of course there will be a favored candidate by the DNC.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

I sometimes wonder who is in control of who. Do the demorats control the media or does the media control the demorats?  There is no doubt they are working together, but who is calling the shots?

Very good point.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Roger Ailes.  So it literally came from the top.  Long read, but it's in this well researched report.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/03/11/the-making-of-the-fox-news-white-house

Also, as I've said before, the DNC had no reason to treat Bernie fairly.  He's not a Democrat and doesn't officially belong to the party.  People forget that the Republican and Democratic parties are private entities.  Primaries are not required at all to nominate a presidential candidate.  Hillary had spent years raising money for the party and backing other Dems in races, votes, etc.  Bernie?  Not so much.  So of course there will be a favored candidate by the DNC.

That's just another hit piece. He may have ,some said, it could have been, if true, blah blah  blah.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:14 PM, DKW 86 said:

I find it funny that Fox cant hold a debate, but CNN, the actual network that gave HRC the cheat sheets, at the debates, they are perfectly okay with.

Then again this is Tom Perez, a man chosen by the Clintons to run the DNC.

Buried in the New Yorker piece on FNC and Trump was given a heads up on debate questions too. Particularly the Megan Kelly question about how he treats women and the question about whether he would support the eventual R nominee should it not be him.

1 hour ago, channonc said:

Buried in the New Yorker piece on FNC and Trump was given a heads up on debate questions too. Particularly the Megan Kelly question about how he treats women and the question about whether he would support the eventual R nominee should it not be him.

I was rereading it, I didnt see it. I am not shocked at all. Ailes was Weinstein on Fox and the comments would all fit.  Fox is literally the propaganda arm of the RNC. 

Despite being opposing networks, FOX defended CNN last year in both the Kaitlan Collins and Jim Acosta instances against the White House. 

Yet CNN cheers on the DNC banning FOX from hosting a Democratic debate. Gotta love the hypocrisy of the networks who rail against Trump's treatment of the non-FOX media yet love Dems treating FOX like they're illegitimate and not worthy of access. 

On 3/7/2019 at 2:53 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Doing yourself a disservice by not watching Chris Wallace on Fox.  The guy is as good as it gets anywhere.  Doesn't hold back and calls everyone out on their BS.  Not coincidentally, he was bar none the best of the three debate moderators in the 2016 general election.

I will say you’re consistent Brad. I’m surprised at how the tone of some posters has changed. A few months ago they were all about media rights and so forth... but exclude FOX and that’s apparently no big deal

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I will say you’re consistent Brad. I’m surprised at how the tone of some posters has changed. A few months ago they were all about media rights and so forth... but exclude FOX and that’s apparently no big deal

I will say this is a different animal than the WH Press Corps.  Being excluded from covering a public official on a daily basis is very different from being excluded from having broadcast rights to a debate being held by a private organization.  And I don't think the DNC will exclude Fox from covering the event backstage or having access to post debate interviews in the spin room.

Remember too that the broadcast rights are exclusive for that night in the primaries for whatever partner gets them, so it is a lucrative venture for whoever gets those rights.  In that sense, I understand the DNC not wanting to feed the beast that often bashes them.

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I will say this is a different animal than the WH Press Corps.  Being excluded from covering a public official on a daily basis is very different from being excluded from having broadcast rights to a debate being held by a private organization.  And I don't think the DNC will exclude Fox from covering the event backstage or having access to post debate interviews in the spin room.

Remember too that the broadcast rights are exclusive for that night in the primaries for whatever partner gets them, so it is a lucrative venture for whoever gets those rights.  In that sense, I understand the DNC not wanting to feed the beast that often bashes them.

As poor a ratings draw as debates are, i am not sure they are really a plus in the pure programming sense.

14 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Despite being opposing networks, FOX defended CNN last year in both the Kaitlan Collins and Jim Acosta instances against the White House. 

Yet CNN cheers on the DNC banning FOX from hosting a Democratic debate. Gotta love the hypocrisy of the networks who rail against Trump's treatment of the non-FOX media yet love Dems treating FOX like they're illegitimate and not worthy of access. 

There's a difference.  The first involves our government, the second does not.  Brad is correct.

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

As poor a ratings draw as debates are, i am not sure they are really a plus in the pure programming sense.

Um, they draw monster numbers in comparison to the nightly programming that these channels have.  Fox on average gets about 2M viewers per weeknight.  CNN and MSNBC a little less.  Through 2015/16 Republican debates were garnering as much as 9x the normal viewership.  Couple of examples here:

https://money.cnn.com/2015/12/16/media/gop-debate-ratings/index.html

https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/04/media/fox-news-gop-debate-ratings/index.html

On 3/7/2019 at 7:25 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nobody interested in the Democratic debate watches Fox News anyway. Who cares. Fox has basically becomes Trumps personal propaganda network, outside of Wallace and Shep. I’m not surprised.

I know several people that watch both. Myself included. Course none of us associate ourselves with either party. We prefer to dig through both networks and then some before decision making.

19 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Um, they draw monster numbers in comparison to the nightly programming that these channels have.  Fox on average gets about 2M viewers per weeknight.  CNN and MSNBC a little less.  Through 2015/16 Republican debates were garnering as much as 9x the normal viewership.  Couple of examples here:

https://money.cnn.com/2015/12/16/media/gop-debate-ratings/index.html

https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/04/media/fox-news-gop-debate-ratings/index.html

I stand corrected. I do not watch debates. I think they are more for posing, photo ops. and zingers. I am just not that enamored of more "Reality TV" crapola. Sometimes great thinkers do terrible in debates. Nuances and deep thoughts are not to be found there. They are truly soundbite machines. Is it really a wonder that Trump won in 2016? It suited his reality tv star training. 

It seems funny that the DNC who thinks of Fox viewers as uneducated and uninformed refuses to let Fox participate in a forum to inform and educate people. But I respect their right to run their organization however they see fit!

Also, I agree that Fox News is biased to the right, but I ABSOLUTELY believe that Fox has more people with a liberal viewpoint on their shows than CNN or MSNBC has people with a conservative viewpoint. If I watch any of these networks, I try to watch all three.

Archived