2020 4* LB Trenton Simpson (Clemson)

ellitor

27 minutes ago, Mysticbear said:

This is not true still 50 - 50 I think Auburn is very close still but North Carolina just had a good moment.

Man it's over for AU with Simpson per every single AU & UNC writer. Unless they say otherwise the thread stays here.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 2:21 PM, ellitor said:

Man it's over for AU with Simpson per every single AU & UNC writer. Unless they say otherwise the thread stays here.

Likely....once the change is made most guys would be too embarrassed to flip back....doing it once is bad enough but a second time?   ...not likely.   Hate that we lost him though...might have generated a little more Auburn interest in the area for us. . 

When he decommitted there were several articles about how hard it was to get a kid with all of that in-state pressure. I guess Clemson figured out how to work around it. 

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

People thought he was a backup plan to Justin Flowe for them.

lol imagine being in such a good spot a 5 star is a backup plan................ F off UNC and clemson. 

• Like 3

Wow.  I actually wanted him at UNC.  Very disappointing he ditched us for Clemson.  I sure hope we get Tisdol now.  That will help me forget about this kid.  

• Like 2

That's seven 5 star players for Clemson in 2020 according to 247. Bama and LSU have 6 combined. Damn.

I really really REALLLLY hate cousin Clem. The only purpose they serve to me is to beat bama. After that I freaking despise them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

About all I can say is that I never felt that UNC was his final home......but Charlotte paper refers to Clemson as his "dream school" which is a surprise because I would have thought he  had an offer from Clemson for quite a while.   Glad we won't be playing him....

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.al.com/recruiting/2020/01/4-star-lb-explains-flip-from-auburn-to-clemson.html

Mallard Creek (N.C.) linebacker Trenton Simpson – a 4-star prospectwho spent four months committed to Auburn – always dreamed of playing at Clemson.

But it didn’t look like he’d have the chance.

That’s why Simpson committed to Auburn last summer, but later de-committed and ultimately signed with Clemson on Early Signing Day. He didn’t get his Clemson offer until just before signing day.

RELATED: See AL.com’s recruiting coverage

“When Clemson came, I knew that was the opportunity for me,” Simpson said. “The route for me, I felt, was Clemson all along. I just had to be patient for it.”

Bama gets commitment from 2021 in-state LB

Deontae Lawson, who led Mobile Christian to the Class 3A championship game earlier this month, committed to Alabama on Friday.

Auburn’s 2020 linebacker recruiting went through plenty of twists and turns, as Jackson-Olin’s Quandarrius Robinson and Theodore’s Demouy Kennedy initially committed to Auburn and later flipped to Alabama.

Losing Simpson – ranked No. 29 nationally by the 247Sports Composite rankings, making him the highest-ranked 4-star – hurt, but the Tigers rebounded and signed Houston County (Ga.)’s Wesley Steiner and Hillcrest-Evergreen’s Cam Riley and added Wilcox County (Ga.)’s Desmond Tisdol and Dublin (Ga.)’s Romello Height on Early Signing Day.

Simpson is the highest-rated linebacker among Clemson’s 23 early signees.

As the Under Armour All-American Game in Orlando, Simpson explained his decision.

“Clemson has been my dream school for a long, long time. Just the program and meeting coach Swinney at first and how he’s such a, like, interactive coach,” Simpson said. “He’ll talk to you. He’ll talk to your family. He talks more than just football. And the school itself is just amazing – the way they produce players, Butkus Award winner Isaiah Simmons, just the way they molded him from high school and transformed him in college. I could see myself doing what he does.”

Why QB Robby Ashford picked Oregon

After visiting Oregon's campus, the Hoover quarterback was sold that it was the place for him, despite being so far away from home.

Simpson admitted de-committing from Auburn in October was tough, especially since he still didn’t have a Clemson offer at the time. North Carolina was also a major player in his recruitment.

“It was tough on me and my family,” Simpson said of his de-commitment. “You know, we take our word very seriously and once you tell someone something you follow through. But, just the way things worked out, I mean, it was tough for me but (I’m) choosing a better route. The route for me is closer to home and my family will be able to see me at all my games.”

Simpson tallied 98 tackles, including 18 sacks, 45 tackles for loss and 22 quarterback hurries, as a senior at Mallard Creek High in Charlotte, according to the Charlotte Observer. The newspaper said he played exclusively at running back for the season’s first two games, finishing with 44 carries for 371 yards and six touchdowns, so his defensive stats came in less than 10 games.

Simpson said he has nothing but respect for Auburn and the players he bonded with in the class of 2020.

“Hopefully we see each other one day in the (national) championship,” he said. “Nothing but love for them, because we were all committed to the same school, but God had different paths for us.”

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* LB Trenton Simpson (Clemson)