2020 4* LB Trenton Simpson (Clemson)

ellitor

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, Pickens is a trash human and I'm convinced he would have been bad for our locker room. He would not have finished his career at Auburn. Never mind that we rarely use guys like him to anywhere near their potential, as you point out. 

This will still be a beast class but this really sucks.

Said at the time that losing Pickens was MEH. It was classless the way he did it but not one person on the AU staff lost any sleep.

Hard to get a kid 5* kid out of North Carolina when the other side has some momentum and good recruiters. I know Thig very well and isn't shocked one bit at this. Like Mikey said, at least this LB class is loaded. Also agree that Tisdol should already be in this class. It's a huge loss but not the end of the world.

I know there wasn't any room but I wish Gus could have made some for Thig to join.

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 5

Wow...pass me the crow with sauce.    :slapfh:

Only a few weeks ago there was a piece in the Charlotte Observer about him and AU was a major focus.

Guess it's not over til it's over but really hated to see this news of the de-commit. . 

• Like 1

Just now, AU64 said:

Wow...pass me the crow with sauce.    :slapfh:

Only a few weeks ago there was a piece in the Charlotte Observer about him and AU was a major focus.

Guess it's not over til it's over but really hated to see this news of the de-commit. . 

He's been on the fence for a while. Mack Brown knows how the game is played. At least we have a couple of very good back ups in place, or should have in place.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

UNC just got a 5* DE and will likely get this guy? sheesh

Maybe but I would be more worried about Clemson....JMO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Said at the time that losing Pickens was MEH. It was classless the way he did it but not one person on the AU staff lost any sleep.

Same, and I'm glad the staff felt the same way. You've probably shared that before but I missed or forgot it. Would've been a waste of everyone's time. 

Hope that Simpson did this early enough for us to mitigate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but I would be more worried about Clemson....JMO

I'll say this. At least Clemson is getting some competition with the local recruits now. Mack Brown knows the game as well or better than Dabo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Also, Pickens is a trash human and I'm convinced he would have been bad for our locker room. He would not have finished his career at Auburn. Never mind that we rarely use guys like him to anywhere near their potential, as you point out. 

I still hope O. Pappoes lays him out across the middle in JHS in a few weeks. 

I hate to lose T. Simpson, but I'd rather have the 4 star guy that wants to be here than a 5star guy that doesn't. War Damn Tisdol!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CR said:

Has any school ever lost this many top LB's in a class? Kennedy, Robinson and now Simpson. Good grief.

Q was recruited by AU as a Buck End FTR.

11 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Nothing can hurt me as much as this past February 

Nothing that happens in any February should hurt as much as our worst losses on the field in the Falls.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Maybe he wanted was pressured to stay closer to home??😱

FIFY

Meant to reply earlier to @AU64 to say in state pressure from even a mediocre P5 program can & often times is damn real.

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Emotional "we dont want you #2 LB in the country if you dont want us"  reactions aside, is this an "I'm decommiting to keep my options open (and Auburn is still in play)" or is it "I'm decommitting because I should absolutely have commited to my life long dream - NC football?" Or too early to tell? 

TBD

It is/was. Living here in Charlotte there was always chatter his family wasn't keen on the idea of him being 6 hours away

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FIFY

Meant to reply earlier to @AU64 to say in state pressure from even a mediocre P5 program can & often times is damn real.

Could be….guess we will see where he ends up but living in the state of NC, , I've noticed that NC players are willing to travel to nearby states though not many go as far away as AU....but Clemson, Tenn and Georgia have gotten plenty of NC talent over the years.    AU is not an easy trip from Charlotte for families and friends.  

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* LB Trenton Simpson (10/20: deommits from AU)

There's no doubt losing a baller like Simpson royally sucks but when the staff is ready to move on at least we have a very nice consolation prize in Tisdol waiting in the wings.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be….guess we will see where he ends up but living in the state of NC, , I've noticed that NC players are willing to travel to nearby states though not many go as far away as AU....but Clemson, Tenn and Georgia have gotten plenty of NC talent over the years.    AU is not an easy trip from Charlotte for families and friends.  

Not all those players may have been a priority for UNC. Also as someone else pointed out Fedora is not near the recruiter Mack is.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Not all those players may have been a priority for UNC. Also as someone else pointed out Fedora is not near the recruiter 

True …but where is all that argument about putting players in the NFL or competing for national championships or having a glamorous stadium and sexy dressing room....and  LED lights to bring in the team?    From a facility standpoint, UNC is light years behind AU. ...and Mack is an old guy and who is their defensive coach this year? 

So we want to spend millions on a FO facility to recruits and it turns out that the coach is what is important and maybe the school itself.....who knew? 

Just now, ellitor said:

Reinforcing your post from a day or so ago.

I would never ever do that e. I'm a kind gentle person who never wants to bring attention to himself

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nothing that happens in any February should hurt as much as our worst losses on the field in the Falls.

No no. Those hurt worse, but in terms of recruiting? February almost made me quit following recruiting. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True …but where is all that argument about putting players in the NFL or competing for national championships or having a glamorous stadium and sexy dressing room....and  LED lights to bring in the team?    From a facility standpoint, UNC is light years behind AU. ...and Mack is an old guy and who is their defensive coach this year? 

So we want to spend millions on a FO facility to recruits and it turns out that the coach is what is important and maybe the school itself.....who knew? 

Different things attract different kids. Lesser programs land the occasional big fish. But it all comes out in the wash. Big time programs that offer all those things you listed will more consistently recruit more talent. Auburn will finish much higher in recruiting this year, next year and for most years after. But you know all that so I'm not sure what the reason would be for the weird post. 

• Like 1

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

No no. Those hurt worse, but in terms of recruiting? February almost made me quit following recruiting. 

Pickens hurt you that much? I can't think of anything else it might be from this February? For me recruiting wise Rashaan Evans hurt much more some years ago.

• Like 4

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Toughen up buttercup :poke: recruiten ain't for pansies

• Haha 2

Just now, auskip07 said:

better now than on signing day.      Whats the % of a decommit  recomitting?   I cant think of too many that recomitted  5% or less 

A bit higher but not much.

• Like 1