Richard McBryde enters Transfer Portal: Update 8/15

AlaskanFAN

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/richard-mcbryde-auburn-linebacker-transfer-portal-enter/

Auburn senior linebacker Richard McBryde enters NCAA transfer portal

Auburn may soon be taking a depth hit at linebacker.

That’s because rising senior Richard McBryde has entered the NCAA transfer portal, as first reported by Matt Zenitz of AL.com. McBryde missed all of last season due to a neck injury.

The senior came to Auburn rated as a four-star prospect and a top 200 overall recruit in the nation as a member of the Tigers’ 2015 recruiting class. He was also an Under Armour All-American coming out of Charles Henderson High School out of Troy, Alabama. Unfortunately, McBryde has failed to live up to that billing on the field during his time on The Plains.

McBryde earned his undergraduate degree in August, which would make him a graduate transfer if he left Auburn. It should be noted that just because a player enters the transfer portal, that does not officially mark the player’s decision to leave the school via transfer, however, it is the first step in that process.

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Seems like it was concluded that he would not be able to play again. 

Yup, i bet our medical staff would not clear him so he wants to try his luck elsewhere. Can't blame him and it worked out well for Dean doing it....though McBryde is getting a much later start. Hope he is healthy and gets to play again if that is what he wants

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Yup, i bet our medical staff would not clear him so he wants to try his luck elsewhere. Can't blame him and it worked out well for Dean doing it....though McBryde is getting a much later start. Hope he is healthy and gets to play again if that is what he wants

The author points out a hit to the depth chart????

Kids think they are bullet proof.  If I had a neck injury I would hang up the cleats and start thinking about what I would like to do with the rest of my life.  

26 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Kids think they are bullet proof.  If I had a neck injury I would hang up the cleats and start thinking about what I would like to do with the rest of my life.  

Yes indeed, walking and breathing on my own are at the top of my list. No reason to take risks.

15 hours ago, alexava said:

The author points out a hit to the depth chart????

As far as I can recall, McBryde was already off Auburn's depth chart. He hasn't been expected to return for quite some time due to his injury. However, saturdaydownsouth won't ever pass up a chance to write something negative about Auburn.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

As far as I can recall, McBryde was already off Auburn's depth chart. He hasn't been expected to return for quite some time due to his injury. However, saturdaydownsouth won't ever pass up a chance to write something negative about Auburn.

Well it is something to be said that he is a senior and we are losing all of our starting linebackers. 

If the medical staff won't clear him is one thing. But that isn't reported as being the case, at least not yet. 

There wasn't anything in the article negative at all...  But sure. Keep on being scared of the big bad Boogeyman media and their constant negativity about Auburn

:-X:-X

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Well it is something to be said that he is a senior and we are losing all of our starting linebackers. 

If the medical staff won't clear him is one thing. But that isn't reported as being the case, at least not yet. 

There wasn't anything in the article negative at all...  But sure. Keep on being scared of the big bad Boogeyman media and their constant negativity about Auburn

:-X:-X

It has long been reported that his career was over. This is the first link I found but it was reported during last season as well. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/roster-outlook-lb

On 3/8/2019 at 7:45 AM, Mikey said:

Well, Mikey,  they probably got it from al.com.

Since McBryde has had neck problems all year which kept him from playing all of 2018, what other power 5 team would take their chance on signing Richard.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:05 PM, weagl1 said:

This also applies to ~ 90% of all college players in general.  Would be a great lesson for them to look ahead, because their future is not wearing a helmet for $$.

16 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

This also applies to ~ 90% of all college players in general.  Would be a great lesson for them to look ahead, because their future is not wearing a helmet for $$.

Hopefully the adults at other colleges will not risk this kid's future and put him on the field.  

1 hour ago, EagleEye67 said:

Unfortunately when you consider yourself the potential bread winner of the family, health takes a back seat. I am not saying this is his reason for wanting to continue on his path, but a lot of people have a dream to make it to the NFL and it is for more than just love of the game. When you take that into consideration, I can see how someone is willing to compromise even health to be afforded that opportunity.

The author of this article was bored......geez. 

On 3/11/2019 at 12:50 PM, DAG said:

Unfortunately when you consider yourself the potential bread winner of the family, health takes a back seat. I am not saying this is his reason for wanting to continue on his path, but a lot of people have a dream to make it to the NFL and it is for more than just love of the game. When you take that into consideration, I can see how someone is willing to compromise even health to be afforded that opportunity.

But at the same time, if he stays at Auburn, he keeps those connections within the program, and he can get a job with a booster or a job as an assistant coach pretty easily. I'm not sure how readily he would get those hook ups if he transferred to try an ill-fated return to football, especially when the likelihood of him playing in the NFL is virtually nil.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

But at the same time, if he stays at Auburn, he keeps those connections within the program, and he can get a job with a booster or a job as an assistant coach pretty easily. I'm not sure how readily he would get those hook ups if he transferred to try an ill-fated return to football, especially when the likelihood of him playing in the NFL is virtually nil.

He probably could BUT that is not the NFL or the NFL money and most of these guys priority is that. Do or Die. That is just a reality. 

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

He probably could BUT that is not the NFL or the NFL money and most of these guys priority is that. Do or Die. That is just a reality. 

You're right, but someone needs to sit down with him and explain that NFL teams aren't going to shell out the dough to a guy who couldn't get cleared at his college to play. Jamel Dean is the exception to the rule (I believe that had more to do with OSU being full and coming up with an excuse not to honor the scholarship), but if you're already on scholarship somewhere and they don't think you're physically fit to play, that's another matter entirely. I mean, I hope it works out for the best for the kid, but I'd be leery of burning bridges.

12 hours ago, Rednilla said:

How do you know that he's made that network at Auburn? Are you certain that every single player, including highly rated guys who come in and don't get to play, has that network?

What do you actually know about McBryde's personal circumstances? Do you really feel like you know enough to give him advice?

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

How do you know that he's made that network at Auburn? Are you certain that every single player, including highly rated guys who come in and don't get to play, has that network?

What do you actually know about McBryde's personal circumstances? Do you really feel like you know enough to give him advice?

No, I don't know that he has, but it's always been my assumption that playing at Auburn gives a person those connections. Do you know that they don't?

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

No, I don't know that he has, but it's always been my assumption that playing at Auburn gives a person those connections. Do you know that they don't?

Of course those opportunities are available for anyone equipped to seize them.  Some of these guys may not be able to take advantage for any number of reasons...that's life.

Archived