Thoughts on UT

Tiger

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

It is really odd how some people on this forum just can't stand for Brown to get praise and credit for the great season and career he's had at AU. My only guess is people don't care for Brown the person and that impacts how they view him as a player? Its pretty crazy though....he leads us in scoring and consistently gets praised as our best perimeter defender by everyone who covers AU bball and our coach. Its like if you aren't prototypical NBA player then you can't be any good. 

Why on earth would people not like Bryce Brown the person? The kid carries himself and how he represents Auburn with the up most integrity. He is a class act and has been his entire time at Auburn. We have been so lucky to have him for 4 years!!! WAR DAMN BRYCE BROWN!!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Its like if you aren't prototypical NBA player then you can't be any good. 

We don't have perfect personnel but our personnel is good enough to have 1 SEC championship and a top 5 SEC finish over 2 seasons and 20+ win seasons each which is unheard of at AU and worthy of nothing but praise IMO. Shortcomings and all they did this s***.

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Chuma is really coming on and into his own, on both ends of the floor. Not sure why we have to pit him vs Brown for any reason. 

What's really funny is somebody can say he can't dribble and if he was taller he'd be a lottery pick and you all still make pretend that somebody is talking negative about him and you ignore what's being said

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We don't have perfect personnel but our personnel is good enough to have 1 SEC championship and a top 5 SEC finish over 2 seasons and 20+ win seasons each which is unheard of at AU and worthy of nothing but praise IMO. Shortcomings and all they did this s***.

I don't expect it from them but I know you're smarter than this

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't expect it from them but I know you're smarter than this

Hey man I'm basking in our success. We all know our personnel's shortcomings and our imperfect roster and how it affects us in games as it's been discussed ad nauseum. I just don't know how anyone could not be ecstatic right now personally. You ok? Not trying to sound snarky but what's not to love right now?

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Hey man I'm basking in our success. We all know our personnel's shortcomings and our imperfect roster and how it affects us in games as it's been discussed ad nauseum. I just don't know how anyone could not be ecstatic right now personally. You ok? Not trying to sound snarky but what's not to love right now?

I simply replied to a post. But you all have something to say about my reply but not the post. Didn't write anything about not being happy with a season. I laughed at saying a player that can't dribble could be a lottery pick......but go ahead and jump on! Lol

Hahahahaha this thread has taken a turn that I genuinely cannot tell. All I know is Bruce had a fantastic coaching job this year during the regular season to milk 22 wins out of this team and 11 conference wins!!!! We had some very obvious shortcomings and weaknesses that have been pointed out in here AND WE STILL are going to be going dancing!!!! WAR DAMN BABY!!!!! Now lets celebrate some before the real season starts. 

tty.gif

My goodness this forum is turning into what the Football forum has been like for the past few years. I don't even venture into there anymore because of all of the negativity, the constant bickering back and forth, and the inability to just accept a big win and be happy afterwards.

My thoughts on the game are simple, we just beat the #5 team in the country by playing team basketball and not turning the ball over 10+ times. This was the first time an Auburn basketball team has beaten a top 5 team since 1995! We are peaking at the perfect time and for anyone to take this win and make it all about Bryce Brown and arguing about if this SENIOR who has put so much sweat and effort into this team is the best defender or not is absolutely ridiculous. Let us enjoy this win, enjoy the seniors while we still can, and stop arguing over a stupid topic that has been argued ad nauseam for the past several months.

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What's really funny is somebody can say he can't dribble and if he was taller he'd be a lottery pick and you all still make pretend that somebody is talking negative about him and you ignore what's being said

Not sure what I did here, I simply said I'm not sure why we have to compare Brown vs. Okeke. I never agreed with anyone that said Brown was a lottery pick if he was taller.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I simply replied to a post. But you all have something to say about my reply but not the post. Didn't write anything about not being happy with a season. I laughed at saying a player that can't dribble could be a lottery pick......but go ahead and jump on! Lol

Bro whooooo even cares if someone thinks Bryce is going to be a top 5 pick in the draft let alone hypothetical height adjustments??? Like who gives a crap? Nobody is keeping score here about these things. We don't say anything about those posts because people who follow the game, as opposed to being new AU hoops fans, understands that Bryce isn't an NBA player with his blessed skillset -- even if he was 6'5. We see it and keep it moving bc it's flatly not worth even entertaining that idea. Simple. People are on an emotional high they sometimes say these things that are exaggerations in the moment, or are still learning basketball. No sense in trying to take every positive post about Brown, no matter how true or untrue, some sort of opportunity to bring up his shortcomings or to try to check someone on their knowledge. Particularly after we knock off the first AP top 5 opponent in however many years. Just keep it moving bro. Not every post praising Brown has to have a response saying why he's just a good player rather than a great one.

I'm trying to figure out why you're so adamant about bringing these things up about Brown so often? Like what is the driving force here. It's actually to the point where people will just praise Brown, sometimes in an outlandish manner, to needle you because it gets you feeling some sort way to where you have to respond to it no matter how outlandish it is. DTR was just doing this to you in this very thread. Gene does it all the time. What is it about the Bryce praise that just compels you to have to reply to it? Even the comical ones like this 6'5 example.

And jumping on? If anything that was a nod to your line of thinking by acknowledging our imperfect roster and personnel with shortcomings. Through all the deficiencies you yourself mentioned we have overcome that and finished top 5 in the SEC and have a ring to show for it last year and I'm happy about that. You already know how I feel about Bryce's game I assume. My tone when writing this was balanced and calm so I hope it reads that way

The problem is that people are looking at Bryce brown with two different perspectives. One a young man who was not highly related out of HS because he is only 6'2" which is little short for a shooting guard, he is a good athlete but not a great athlete, He is quick but not elite quick who has worked super hard and improved every year.. He has become a great shooter who when hot can take over a game. he loves Auburn and the Auburn family loves him. He gives 100% all the time on both ends of the court. We all love somebody who over achieves and Bryce had done that.

The other perspective is he is only 6'2" which is little short for a shooting guard, he is a good athlete but not a great athlete, He is quick but not elite quick, his dribbling leaves something to be desired. He has been beaten off the dribble and at times he has long dry spells., he does not do a great job of finding people like Chuma when they have position. He sometimes dribbles to no effect and ends up jacking up an ill advised three. 

Both are right Bryce has improved enough and worked hard enough and scored enough to be considered an elite player but his game does have deficiencies. I agree with some of the things Cole says about Brown when he points out his limitations but I don't think Cole gives him enough credit with how he has improved from year to year and how important he is to the team. The intangibles of hounding players with the ball, the efforts he puts into the game and how that influences other players around him. 

I am a Bryce Brown fan but I do see his limitations. I think he has been an integral piece of the improvement we have seen at Auburn.  Last year the team had more players like Herron who helped cover some of his defensive liabilities and as the year has gone on you are seeing Chuma's defense help cover up some of our other defensive liabilities. Together with the other players on the team Brown is one of the key reasons we have gone into the NCAA tournament two years in a row. Cole is correct when mentioning that the reason Brown has broken the three point record is because he has a green light. The reason he has the green light is part Bruce Pearl coaching philosophy and part that percentage wise he is near the top of the league in three point shooting. 

The problem is some of the people who love Brown overlook his limitations and Cole spends to much time looking at the limitations and doesn't see a lot of the great things Brown does. Brown is the type of player when you play pickup ball is always the third or fourth guy picked but whose team wins a lot more than it loses.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why on earth would people not like Bryce Brown the person? The kid carries himself and how he represents Auburn with the up most integrity. He is a class act and has been his entire time at Auburn. We have been so lucky to have him for 4 years!!! WAR DAMN BRYCE BROWN!!!!

i love him, except when he dribbles....i don't think he is as good of a shooter as taj waller was (man i wish that guy could have played for bruce)but he is pretty good....bryce is an example of a kid working hard to be good and overcoming his weaknesses....harper is another one that has done the same, but maybe not as much as bryce did.....i will miss bryce brown and thats a fact

25 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Bro whooooo even cares if someone thinks Bryce is going to be a top 5 pick in the draft let alone hypothetical height adjustments??? Like who gives a crap? Nobody is keeping score here about these things. We don't say anything about those posts because people who follow the game, as opposed to being new AU hoops fans, understands that Bryce isn't an NBA player with his blessed skillset -- even if he was 6'5. We see it and keep it moving bc it's flatly not worth even entertaining that idea. Simple. People are on an emotional high they sometimes say these things that are exaggerations in the moment, or are still learning basketball. No sense in trying to take every positive post about Brown, no matter how true or untrue, some sort of opportunity to bring up his shortcomings or to try to check someone on their knowledge. Particularly after we knock off the first AP top 5 opponent in however many years. Just keep it moving bro. Not every post praising Brown has to have a response saying why he's just a good player rather than a great one.

I'm trying to figure out why you're so adamant about bringing these things up about Brown so often? Like what is the driving force here? It's actually to the point where people will just praise Brown, sometimes in an outlandish manner, to needle you because it gets you feeling some sort way to where you have to respond to it no matter how outlandish it is. DTR was just doing this to you in this very thread. Gene does it all the time. What is it about the Bryce praise that just compels you to have to reply to it? Even the comical ones like this 6'5 example.

And jumping on? If anything that was a nod to your line of thinking by acknowledging our imperfect roster and personnel with shortcomings. Through all the deficiencies you yourself mentioned we have overcome that and finished top 5 in the SEC and have a ring to show for it last year and I'm happy about that. My tone when writing this was balanced and calm so I hope it reads that way

You saying all the imperfect roster stuff and all of that....none of that took place. You can simply scroll up to see what took place dude really is talking about my cousin that didn't work so he put both the stuff together for a reaction. He said some stuff that didn't make sense and I said you didn't watch the game. So I know what he was doing but it's you all that started the Brown stuff. You don't see me bring up stuff about Brown you may see me reply to stuff. I wasn't even talking about him, pretty much laughed at the dumb remark of course dude comes in and say I don't see why we are pitting them against each other which, I wasn't doing and then it's pile on time. After that other a**hole going to come in and say he doesn't like him personally. Then g will comes in and how can you not like him, then you come in with the talked about roster and short coming bull****. All that from me saying you don't watch basketball if you saying a guy that can't dribble is a lottery pick. You guys talked worse about whoever you choose too.

You find where I just out of the blue talk about Brown. Somebody say he's the defensive player of the year I said it's chumma and that's a problem? 

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You saying all the imperfect roster stuff and all of that....none of that took place. You can simply scroll up to see what took place dude really is talking about my cousin that didn't work so he put both the stuff together for a reaction. He said some stuff that didn't make sense and I said you didn't watch the game. So I know what he was doing but it's you all that started the Brown stuff. You don't see me bring up stuff about Brown you may see me reply to stuff. I wasn't even talking about him, pretty much laughed at the dumb remark of course dude comes in and say I don't see why we are pitting them against each other which, I wasn't doing and then it's pile on time. After that other a**hole going to come in and say he doesn't like him personally. Then g will comes in and how can you not like him, then you come in with the talked about roster and short coming bull****. All that from me saying you don't watch basketball if you saying a guy that can't dribble is a lottery pick. You guys talked worse about whoever you choose too.

You find where I just out of the blue talk about Brown. Somebody say he's the defensive player of the year I said it's chumma and that's a problem? 

Wait, you saying we have middle school sized guards (your words) is not alluding to an imperfect roster or a team with shortcomings? That is how I took it. I don't know how that means anything else actually. Why are you saying it if it's not to point out the imperfection or flawed nature of our team?

And you're right, you reply to stuff about Brown, it was my intention to make that clear and not say that you just say negative stuff about him out of the blue. But that's also why I'm asking why you feel compelled to reply to someone making up fantasy hypothetical about a kid's height. You're smarter than to even entertain that wonky take. Or so I thought because you keep letting obvious trolls rope you in. People even give reactions to those trolls baiting you because everyone on this board can tell what they're doing.

And to be frank, my post was not strictly about this particular thread as I tried to make clear. This seems to span over a number of threads across the basketball forum. I can't tell if you give some posts way too much credit on here or just have something going on in your personal life that makes you agitated and I absolutely, genuinely hope it's not the latter man as real life can affect all of this -- It's certainly happened to me, but I will say your abrasive tone is probably 75% of why you seem to get into so many heated back and forths or feel like you're being "jumped". Like I'm not even disagreeing with you and you're calling people a**holes and saying what I said as "shortcoming bull****"! We've both discussed Brown's holes in his games and been on the same side of it, so it's not even 100% about the actual topic of Bryce Brown but more why does everything you write recently sound so agitated, irritated, or pissed off? Why even say to someone "you must not watch basketball if you think such and such" What is the point man? Is that even necessary? You're literally taking a fringe level, emotionally charged opinion and it made you feel strong enough about it in some manner to actually type out a response. That take did not require an answer at all! Or at least not one that was so harsh. If you want to educate him on it then there are better ways to do it than saying "I wish I had people who knew basketball to talk to". Like that's such a pompous and condescending reply, man. Dover has said himself he's recently got into hoops if I recall. We have a good team and people are feeling good but your posts don't read that way and I'm trying to figure out why because there are a great number of things you hit on. I mean read this post I just quoted you in. You sound miserable bro.

And I'm not trying to pile on or come at you or anything that's absolutely not my intention. I'm just a bit puzzled by some of this.

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

I said the stuff about Brown and oh I'm hated I'm an ass, Bird says it but the only person that argued with him was Jeff for some reason

Because Bird criminally underrates Brown’s defense. Even tried to joke that Samir’s practice reports were so good last year only because Bryce was guarding him. Bryce isn’t an elite defender but he’s not THAT bad either. 

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

Dude stays at me so passive aggressively it's unbelievable. Literally said that because he wants a rise from me, talking about my cousin all that, for what? He doesn't know, I don't even talk to him or about him. It's amazing the feelings I've apparently hurt on here just talking about basketball. 

Cole, I think a lot of people are just playfully ribbing you about your cousin. Especially after you said something about him being a problem for any of our players that guard him. It’s just give and take. And all in good fun. Might wanna watch out for Gene though. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hahahahaha this thread has taken a turn that I genuinely cannot tell. All I know is Bruce had a fantastic coaching job this year during the regular season to milk 22 wins out of this team and 11 conference wins!!!! We had some very obvious shortcomings and weaknesses that have been pointed out in here AND WE STILL are going to be going dancing!!!! WAR DAMN BABY!!!!! Now lets celebrate some before the real season starts. 

tty.gif

Screenshot_20190311-155226~2.png

I think gene may have came in a bit raw with his cousin remark but I’d like to think everyone else was just responding to your comment as if it was a hot take, not anything personal

you do have to keep in mind it would’ve been detrimental to Auburn’s cause if he had played well 

You all can't see my notifications, I don't just make stuff up. And like I said I don't care what anybody says about my cousin it's not like you can say he's trash and I'm angry. I literally don't care

I was pointing out how you can see his attempts to get a rise out of me by going that route and as you can see the first reactions is oh I don't think he's doing that......lol ok. He was certainly doing it. But apparently trolling isn't a problem it's me ignoring the trolling that is. It gets on people nerves if I respond to trolling not if trolling takes place.

I was just waiting for at least one person to read the thread and say well actually all this talk comes from people angry that Cole didn't agree to Brown being a lottery pick.....

Also anybody else finds it interesting when one person uses ad nauseam other people use it?

Archived