C’mon, now. Having a political leader sign a Bible is kinda culty

TexasTiger

15 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Don't try and sidestep your daily butthurt obsession homes. 

That's the thanks I get for administering to ignorant MAGA's - but I repeat myself. ;D

I am bringing you news and opinion you would otherwise never see.

It's a calling.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

This has been one of my favorite discussions on here in a while. It’s been fascinating to read. I’m not a religious person, but have always been interested in the role religion plays in history and society. I felt like I had a pretty good grasp of the basic tenets of Christianity. Christians that see no issue with any person, much less, Donald Trump, a man who commits all 7 deadly sins on a daily basis, autographing the “written word of God”. 

What in the actual f*** is happening here?! This is all like an episode of the twilight zone.

It's not just what he's done, it's what he is.  According to Christianity, sinners can atone for the sins and be forgiven.

But Trump is a psychopath.  Psychopaths have no capacity to feel empathy. It's about as far from Christianity one can be as a human.  The jokes about being the antichrist are literally true when it comes to psychopaths.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:27 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

This has been one of my favorite discussions on here in a while. It’s been fascinating to read. I’m not a religious person, but have always been interested in the role religion plays in history and society. I felt like I had a pretty good grasp of the basic tenets of Christianity. Christians that see no issue with any person, much less, Donald Trump, a man who commits all 7 deadly sins on a daily basis, autographing the “written word of God”. 

What in the actual f*** is happening here?! This is all like an episode of the twilight zone.

The Right has used religion to manipulate voters for a long time now, especially in the south. It’s easy to do with Christians who have no basic knowledge of God’s word. Starving a child because they had the misfortune of being born to a drug addict by taking way SNAP is ok but two people of the same gender getting married is an abomination that will result in the destruction of traditional marriage. I liked Christianity before it became a political party. 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

The Right has used religion to manipulate voters for a long time now, especially in the south. It’s easy to do with Christians who have no basic knowledge of God’s word. Starving a child because they had the misfortune of being born to a drug addict by taking way SNAP is ok but two people of the same gender getting married is an abomination that will result in the destruction of traditional marriage. I liked Christianity before it became a political party. 

Name the last child in the U.S. who starved because no one would buy them food. You are just spouting the talking points again.

2 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I believe that most events involving children will be written like Alabama's. The impact on other programs is debatable, but they are not going to cut the child's eligibility.

In Alabama, the consequences for testing positive escalate from a warning to making the applicant ineligible for SNAP for a year—or, after the third strike, for a lifetime. Anyone who refuses to take the test would be "permanently ineligible." The bill also specifies that, if a parent is disqualified via drug test, their children can still receive benefits, but they'd need to "designate a third party" to receive them.

https://psmag.com/news/research-shows-alabamas-drug-testing-bill-would-harm-those-snap-is-supposed-to-help

I also agree with this proposal from Trump:

Under the proposal, which was announced Monday, low-income Americans who receive at least $90 a month — just over 80 percent of all SNAP recipients — would get about half of their benefits in the form of a "USDA Foods package." The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/02/12/585130274/trump-administration-wants-to-decide-what-food-snap-recipients-will-get

If you have ever worked grocery then you know that EBT/SNAP needs restrictions. Many individuals buy nothing but junk food like chips and soda's. Their diets lead to health issues which puts a burden on health care systems. The majority of them also use Medicaid, and due to acceptance the majority of them will use emergency rooms as their primary care physicians.

You are correct that food insecurity is still a very very real problem within the United States and needs to be addressed.

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's the thanks I get for administering ignorance - but I repeat myself. ;D

I am bringing you news and opinion you would otherwise never see.

It's a calling.

I agree.

4 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

same gender getting married is an abomination that will result in the destruction of traditional marriage.

Huh? Perhaps they just don't agree with it. Never destroy traditional marriage. That is pretty natural. Observe a herd a cattle with a bull in pasture this summer. 

17 hours ago, Grumps said:

Name the last child in the U.S. who starved because no one would buy them food. You are just spouting the talking points again.

I’m sure from your moral high ground hunger doesn’t exist. I can’t name these children because I’m obligated to privacy laws but I’ll share a few stories with you. 

K got angry about a teacher admonishing him. So he left school. A search of the entire grounds preceded. I drove to a local store and found K walking back towards school. Wanna know why he was walking back? He was hungry. His grandfather had had him arrested for taking his debit card to buy food earlier that week. He was willing to face punishment just to eat in the school cafeteria.

L was around six when she came to my AWANA class. We were learning about Old Testament feasts. I had apples and honey. She ate all on her plate. Then asked for more. I sent the small amount of leftovers home with her. She was hungry.

A first grade child on a school field trip to the museum where I work sat and listened as I taught about foods that NA’s ate. I passed around various seeds and I noticed she was saving them in her hand. She was saving her tiny handful of seeds to take home to her siblings so they could have food. 

To you these children may be talking points but to me they are real faces that face hunger on a regular basis. 

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Huh? Perhaps they just don't agree with it. Never destroy traditional marriage. That is pretty natural. Observe a herd a cattle with a bull in pasture this summer. 

Perhaps if you’d read the entire sentence rather than the portion you quoted you’d not have to ask “Huh” and make a stupid reference to cattle.

17 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I believe that most events involving children will be written like Alabama's. The impact on other programs is debatable, but they are not going to cut the child's eligibility.

https://psmag.com/news/research-shows-alabamas-drug-testing-bill-would-harm-those-snap-is-supposed-to-help

I also agree with this proposal from Trump:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/02/12/585130274/trump-administration-wants-to-decide-what-food-snap-recipients-will-get

If you have ever worked grocery then you know that EBT/SNAP needs restrictions. Many individuals buy nothing but junk food like chips and soda's. Their diets lead to health issues which puts a burden on health care systems. The majority of them also use Medicaid, and due to acceptance the majority of them will use emergency rooms as their primary care physicians.

You are correct that food insecurity is still a very very real problem within the United States and needs to be addressed.

I understand people abuse the system but we’ve created a situation where abusing the system is more profitable than working by not paying a living wage. 

Is this something people do with other literature?

I have multiple signed books, but they are all signed by the historians, writers, athletes, and comedians who wrote or dictated them.

Maybe Homer... You can sign my copy of Battle Cry of Freedom by McPherson if you promise to read it first. :)  :lol: 

An AP opinion piece re. Trump signing Bibles. Note that  beloved Dem FDR signed one used for a swearing in back in 1939.

https://www.oanow.com/apwire/news/state/trump-signed-bibles-heresy-many-religious-leaders-say-no/article_74fe8848-4803-59e3-a106-c3d7bb470823.html

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Is this something people do with other literature?

I have multiple signed books, but they are all signed by the historians, writers, athletes, and comedians who wrote or dictated them.

Maybe Homer... You can sign my copy of Battle Cry of Freedom by McPherson if you promise to read it first. :)  :lol: 

:dunno: Sorry, I am missing your point.  But I like McPherson.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, homersapien said:

I think the real point is being overlooked in this discussion, which is not that Trump signed bibles, it's that Trump supporters asked him too.

You'd have to be either very ignorant or in a total state of denial to ask a narcissistic psychopath like Trump to sign your bible of all things. 

Wow...You try move the goal post away from the original premise when it shows you to be the complete ass-clown you are; and then in the same breath insult both "the man" comforting those that just lost loved ones  and "the people" that are seeking comfort in the midst of their unspeakable grief and mourning of their lost loved ones.  When the best you've got is to insult mourners looking for comfort; maybe you should just not post.  You are a despicable bitter little man.  I'm gonna go out on a limb again here...but I don't think some of you are taking the election (that was 2 1/2 years ago) very well....after  2 1/2 years you should have moved past "denial" by now...

7 hours ago, japantiger said:

Wow...You try move the goal post away from the original premise when it shows you to be the complete ass-clown you are; and then in the same breath insult both "the man" comforting those that just lost loved ones  and "the people" that are seeking comfort in the midst of their unspeakable grief and mourning of their lost loved ones.  When the best you've got is to insult mourners looking for comfort; maybe you should just not post.  You are a despicable bitter little man.  I'm gonna go out on a limb again here...but I don't think some of you are taking the election (that was 2 1/2 years ago) very well....after  2 1/2 years you should have moved past "denial" by now...

**** you, you sanctimonious jerk.

Anyone mourning is not going to be asking for Trump's signature.

You're lucky he didn't throw out rolls of paper towels like he did in Puerto Rico. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

**** you, you self-righteous prick.

You're lucky he didn't throw out rolls of paper towels like he did in Puerto Rico. 

You are without a doubt the most gullible among us. At your age, very disappointing. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

While I see what you are trying to say do not see how it affects Japs luck.

gotta agree Brother Homer. The throwing toilet paper deal pretty ugly. 

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

**** you, you sanctimonious jerk.

Oh Homey, I may very well be a sanctimonious jerk...it's always good to engage in self reflection....I see thru all of this you haven't  been burdened by that impulse.    Yeah, pretty sure you're not handling the election results well...here's a little tool to help you out...

djmC07ls8QHy79RS9THq4OBZB38iB-BdUNsAm1Pq

Archived