Women vs. TA&M - 2nd Round

tigeraddikt

As of this post, AU is up 57-55 with 5:46 left in the 4th qtr. Aggies have turned the ball over 377 times and yet AU only holds a 2 point advantage.

Auburn loses 64-62. AU point guard got creamed on a 3 point attempt as time expired but no whistle. Oh well. See ya in the tourney, ladies.

2 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Auburn can press well but otherwise has bad defense and no offense

AU plays great pressure D in waves, but they lose focus defensively in the half court. This game played out exactly like the loss to A&M in January. We turned them over a billion times only to have 1 player take the game over for the Aggies. However, compared to last year, when it seemed like AU women's offensive possessions resulted in either bad rushed shots or shot clock violations, this years team is light years ahead. War Eagle. 

Horrible loss. They were without their best player who averages 23 ppg AND it was set up perfectly for them to go to the sec tourney finals because if we won we would of faced double digit seed arky in the semifinals instead of South Carolina. SMH. Halfcourt offense continues to be this teams problem. This team does not have a lot of 3 point shooting. Also they needed to feed the post more. Our girls had good position but yet the continually pounded all of the shot clock only to hoist up a rushed shot with a couple of seconds left. We need better guards and more shooting. IDK how you lose when you force the other team to turn the ball over 25 times but of course Auburn would manage to find a way lmao. sighhhhhhhhh.

9 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

AU plays great pressure D in waves, but they lose focus defensively in the half court. This game played out exactly like the loss to A&M in January. We turned them over a billion times only to have 1 player take the game over for the Aggies. However, compared to last year, when it seemed like AU women's offensive possessions resulted in either bad rushed shots or shot clock violations, this years team is light years ahead. War Eagle. 

True, the offense is much better than past years. McKay can take over a game as well as anybody, but she doesn’t always have that selfishness which isn’t a bad thing. Defense is turnover or bust, especially if the other team has any front court talent. The same play style that could kill us could also beat anyone in the tourney. Hopefully the latter! WDE

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Didnt find a stream but really wanted to see this one

It was on the SEC network.

These last two games, the team has reverted to the Coach Flo teams of previous years. Lots of effort and hustle, create lots of turnovers but can't score much and many shot clock violations. There were four or five of those tonight, plus any number of rushed, off balance shots taken as the clock was winding down. It's deja vu all over again!

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

These last two games, the team has reverted to the Coach Flo teams of previous years. Lots of effort and hustle, create lots of turnovers but can't score much and many shot clock violations. There were four or five of those tonight, plus any number of rushed, off balance shots taken as the clock was winding down. It's deja vu all over again!

Dont have cable lol. Unfortunately, women's CBB falls under the bar of stream coverage

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tough game....AU had something like 20 more shots from the field if I read the stats right.....and did not win....but shooting was really bad....  Gals did a good job of coming from behind but could not hold their small lead when they got ahead.....and aggies are a pretty decent team.  

Still...beat bama 3 times this season which by AU standards should make this a successful season?  

25 forced turnovers and 20 more shots taken should have been a good sign of a double digit win

I think I remember hearing earlier in the season that AU has not won a game against a ranked team in over 20 games. Maybe the team can get a couple wins in the NCAA tournament and break the streak. 

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Still...beat bama 3 times this season which by AU standards should make this a successful season?  

They've never been much of a rival in women's basketball. Don't get me wrong, going 3-0 against UAT is never a bad thing in any sport but in general they are a bad team this year. Coach-firing bad.

30 minutes ago, Mikey said:

They've never been much of a rival in women's basketball. Don't get me wrong, going 3-0 against UAT is never a bad thing in any sport but in general they are a bad team this year. Coach-firing bad.

probably both round ball coaches are on a short leash but....most true bammers are not even aware their team plays anything other than football...so not sure what the future holds for either one of them.  

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Horrible loss. They were without their best player who averages 23 ppg AND it was set up perfectly for them to go to the sec tourney finals because if we won we would of faced double digit seed arky in the semifinals instead of South Carolina. SMH. Halfcourt offense continues to be this teams problem. This team does not have a lot of 3 point shooting. Also they needed to feed the post more. Our girls had good position but yet the continually pounded all of the shot clock only to hoist up a rushed shot with a couple of seconds left. We need better guards and more shooting. IDK how you lose when you force the other team to turn the ball over 25 times but of course Auburn would manage to find a way lmao. sighhhhhhhhh.

We have no half court offense.  We don't even try to pretend that we run offensive sets.  This was a good year overall, but we are 0-7 against AP ranked teams.  If TWF will mesh her defensive coaching with some offensive organized basketball, I believe we could achieve something, provided recruiting continues to trend upwards.  However, if we insist on playing this brand of basketball, I believe that this season is close to the ceiling that we can expect to achieve.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Spot On!

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

We have no half court offense.  We don't even try to pretend that we run offensive sets.  This was a good year overall, but we are 0-7 against AP ranked teams.  If TWF will mesh her defensive coaching with some offensive organized basketball, I believe we could achieve something, provided recruiting continues to trend upwards.  However, if we insist on playing this brand of basketball, I believe that this season is close to the ceiling that we can expect to achieve.

Well said fam! I agree with all of this!

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Odd and unsupported statement seeing as how Auburn is 5th in the league in 3 pointers made and 7th in 3 pt. percentage.  Also set an Auburn single game record for number of 3's in a game then broke that record a few games later.

I do agree they need to go inside more, but we have to be more consistent in making that shot once the ball goes inside and we just aren't that consistent at that part of the game.  It tends to result in a lot of empty posessions/turnovers.   Thompson needs to be a lot more physical down there.  Jackson filled that role very well in the game yesterday and made quite a few nice moves to the basket and scored.

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Odd and unsupported statement seeing as how Auburn is 5th in the league in 3 pointers made and 7th in 3 pt. percentage.  Also set an Auburn single game record for number of 3's in a game then broke that record a few games later.

I do agree they need to go inside more, but we have to be more consistent in making that shot once the ball goes inside and we just aren't that consistent at that part of the game.  It tends to result in a lot of empty posessions/turnovers.   Thompson needs to be a lot more physical down there.  Jackson filled that role very well in the game yesterday and made quite a few nice moves to the basket and scored.

They were 4-14 last night on threes. That is not even a lot of attempted threes. Especially when we took what 20 plus more shots than them? Obviously I do not watch them as much as you but when I have this season they did not even seem to be hunting for the three ball. We were 5-17 on thursday night vs Bama. 17 is still not that many attempts imo. Maybe the 3 point shot is not as prevalent in womens bball as it is mens. I only really start watching Auburn women once they get in conference. 

Archived