Danjel Purifoy (Threads Merged)

Dual-Threat Rigby

On 2/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, AUTigersfan89 said:

Is DP really as bad on defense as people are making him out to be? He seems to play with a lot of energy and effort out there, and I know he forced at least one turnover against Vanderbilt. At this point, I just don't see how Samir offers anything more over DP or Dunbar. DP seems to be gaining back that 'it' factor that can make him a weapon. Meanwhile, Samir has been MIA since the Florida game.

Nah not at all. He's not great at it but not close to being as bad as some of the people say on here

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Nah not at all. He's not great at it but not close to being as bad as some of the people say on here

Samir has his moments. I remember a game I saw recently, where he stole the ball 2 consecutive times, hit a 3, and made an assist. Recently, He has not been as effective, and he is not a strong 3 when we need a little more power and rebounding. Dunbar needs to play his position more, as long as he plays smart and under control. Dunbar also provides energy and a spark when we need it. If he could do that w/ consistently, the job is his.

I think Samir is so smooth in his style, that he doesn't grab us fans, but there are some games (and Pearl talked about it during the season) that he does things for us that doesnt flash or show up as a highlight.

29 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Samir has his moments. I remember a game I saw recently, where he stole the ball 2 consecutive times, hit a 3, and made an assist. Recently, He has not been as effective, and he is not a strong 3 when we need a little more power and rebounding. Dunbar needs to play his position more, as long as he plays smart and under control. Dunbar also provides energy and a spark when we need it. If he could do that w/ consistently, the job is his.

I think Samir is so smooth in his style, that he doesn't grab us fans, but there are some games (and Pearl talked about it during the season) that he does things for us that doesnt flash or show up as a highlight.

I watch him. I watch him close and that's why I said the things I said about the things we are missing from last year that people don't realize because it's not in the box score. Samir so far has a hard time showing up against quality opponents. 

I don't think it's as easy as if Dunbar did these things the job is his, samir has just as many holes as Dunbar, clearly pearl has loyalty to samir.

He's not a 3 at all, to his credit he's playing out of position where 9 times out of 10 he's just physically overmatched. He probably would play better at 2. I imagine when Brown leaves a couple of guys are going to shine more. 

On 2/13/2019 at 8:48 PM, cole256 said:

He shouldn't play 4 at all, I really don't want to hear defense because I see two players on this team that's good on D. This team's defense has been horrible. To say he literally shouldn't play an entire position is laughable but he's playing 3

I didn't say he shouldn't play an entire position. I said he should play 3 only if we are trying to match up on some size. And as far as defense goes, you and I just disagree and that's cool. We don't defend well in terms of holding teams to low scoring, but we defend well most of the time for our style of play. We speed teams up, turn them over, and force an up tempo game. That is good defense even if we give up some easy buckets in the process, its a style commitment. You know that. 

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I didn't say he shouldn't play an entire position. I said he should play 3 only if we are trying to match up on some size. And as far as defense goes, you and I just disagree and that's cool. We don't defend well in terms of holding teams to low scoring, but we defend well most of the time for our style of play. We speed teams up, turn them over, and force an up tempo game. That is good defense even if we give up some easy buckets in the process, its a style commitment. You know that. 

I wasn't talking to you when I wrote that, we haven't been doing well with causing turnovers, it's not the guards that get the steals most time we do turn them over. I do know it's a style commitment I wrote about it in one of my other posts you quoted me if I'm not mistaken, but yes we just disagree because we haven't been dictating the tempo, especially with the guards with experience. They've actually been playing us mostly. We're not intimidating. And that's what I was referring to with the middle school statue comment. Physically we're not intimidating

I saw what ya'll saw 2 years ago.

I don't see what you are seeing today.  I have not seen him look anything like the player we had before.  Seen no consistency in shooting or good decision making in shot attempts.  His D has finally gotten better, but I don't understand for this constant call for more PT.  Just does not look like he has earned it in the small amount of PT he has gotten.

32 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I saw what ya'll saw 2 years ago.

I don't see what you are seeing today.  I have not seen him look anything like the player we had before.  Seen no consistency in shooting or good decision making in shot attempts.  His D has finally gotten better, but I don't understand for this constant call for more PT.  Just does not look like he has earned it in the small amount of PT he has gotten.

I didn’t watch the game today but it didn’t sound like anyone outside of AMac and Okeke looked like D1 players

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn’t watch the game today but it didn’t sound like anyone outside of AMac and Okeke looked like D1 players

Good Point!

Again he had a chance to contribute with extended minutes last night. He isn't the player he was. He wasn't moving fluidly around the court. His numbers were almost non-existent only getting 3 points and that's about it. He is a space holder (liability) that can give Chuma short blows and that is about it. Had to use him due to foul trouble last night.

9 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Again he had a chance to contribute with extended minutes last night. He isn't the player he was. He wasn't moving fluidly around the court. His numbers were almost non-existent only getting 3 points and that's about it. He is a space holder (liability) that can give Chuma short blows and that is about it. Had to use him due to foul trouble last night.

I was bummed by his play.  This game would have been a good time to step up.  His shots looked rushed ... like he had the yips.  

9 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I was bummed by his play.  This game would have been a good time to step up.  His shots looked rushed ... like he had the yips.  

Yep..hard to believe he stayed around for the better part of two years for this.    ☹️      Can't tell what the issues are but he just does  not seem to have the aggressiveness or motivation or something. 

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hopefully an offseason of training does him justice and he doesn't just become even more flustered by his trials and tribulations 

Hope he changes things up from the last 2 off-seasons.....and seasons of training. I'm predicting he'll find other opportunities once the season is over with 

It's not the yips or aggressiveness he just looks like a guy who did not keep his training up during a significantly extended period of time when he badly needed to in order make up for the lack of high level basketball in his life. You can't substitute real games for anything else but he just doesn't move like he used to, independent of the apparent rust of the skill-related portion of his game. 

I am very confident if he works his butt off in the off-season he will be a good player for us. It's a shame that his development was so severely thrown off because he could've been a star here but he can still salvage his time at AU with a strong senior season if he gets back into his groove in the off-season IMO

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hopefully an offseason of training does him justice and he doesn't just become even more flustered by his trials and tribulations 

It's a shame they told him to gain weight and play an entire different position because the team lacks bodies. I'm all for sacrificing some but this is ridiculous. Couldn't be me, the school the fan base I don't care whoever could kiss my butt. You see how he's talked about now? Nobody cares or appreciates it and 2 years from now nobody will even care to remember his name for real. You can go and represent a school and have pride but fact is you better always do what's best for YOU because nobody cares about you really in the long run, they care what you may be able to do for them

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's a shame they told him to gain weight and play an entire different position because the team lacks bodies. I'm all for sacrificing some but this is ridiculous. Couldn't be me, the school the fan base I don't care whoever could kiss my butt. You see how he's talked about now? Nobody cares or appreciates it and 2 years from now nobody will even care to remember his name for real. You can go and represent a school and have pride but fact is you better always do what's best for YOU because nobody cares about you really in the long run, they care what you may be able to do for them

I guess Pearl thought he could keep the moveability with more weight? I really don’t know what he was thinking. His best attribute was being a physical mismatch at the 3. Don’t know why you even needed him to play the 4 when you got Horace and Mac but...maybe with the additions next season BP will allow the man to be him. Plus he’ll get more dedicated touches with Jared and BB gone 

Regardless of his weight or where he is playing... he's just not into the game....very little effort on the defensive end....something is not right....but what it is.... :dunno:

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Regardless of his weight or where he is playing... he's just not into the game....very little effort on the defensive end....something is not right....but what it is.... :dunno:

Well, his lady is very much pregnant. So he could have that on his mind. He posts on his IG live about her almost daily. 

19 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Well, his lady is very much pregnant. So he could have that on his mind. He posts on his IG live about her almost daily. 

Oh....kid has lots on his mind these days besides basketball I guess.   

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

He had a year and a half layoff that wasn't anybody's fault but his own. Failure to keep in game shape over that time is nobody's fault but his own. Being a part of dragging AU into an NCAA scandal is nobody's fault but his own. I'll remember his name two years from now, count on it.

He played 4 his freshman year and could move muuuuch better back then and had a full RS season to be at a 4's playing weight. So did Bruce actually tell him to put on extra weight prior to this year or did he tell him to slim down after his long layoff because he definitely was bigger

It’s not like we tried to move the kid from PG to center. We talking 10 15 lbs here? An athlete should have no problem managing that difference. Plus if he had to work so hard to gain the weight it would fall off as soon as he wanted it to. If you have to try and gain weight you don’t have to try and lose it. Works the opposite as well. 

But he still can shoot so maybe he’ll bust out and have a big game for us down the stretch. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

It’s not like we tried to move the kid from PG to center. We talking 10 15 lbs here? An athlete should have no problem managing that difference. Plus if he had to work so hard to gain the weight it would fall off as soon as he wanted it to. If you have to try and gain weight you don’t have to try and lose it. Works the opposite as well. 

But he still can shoot so maybe he’ll bust out and have a big game for us down the stretch. 

agree. From watching him so far this year, he seems to just not consistent enough. Even his freshman year, he was streaky, so the almost 2 year layout has affected him. 

His defense was never very good, and I have noticed as he has played more w/ the injuries of others lately, that he has trouble remembering his defensive switches, as I  see him lose his guy too many times, or I see one of our players telling him where to go or who he needs to switch to on defense.

Archived