Danjel Purifoy (Threads Merged)

Dual-Threat Rigby

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

Regardless of his weight or where he is playing... he's just not into the game....very little effort on the defensive end....something is not right....but what it is.... :dunno:

Well that's an opinion you've come up with but look at the other stuff you said that you was wrong about. Everybody on here was talking about him gaining weight and didn't even know why and ran with it. You blame big men for our defensive woes but you defend the guards when it's more of them than anybody. So you're going to make it be about him no matter what

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gravejd said:

It’s not like we tried to move the kid from PG to center. We talking 10 15 lbs here? An athlete should have no problem managing that difference. Plus if he had to work so hard to gain the weight it would fall off as soon as he wanted it to. If you have to try and gain weight you don’t have to try and lose it. Works the opposite as well. 

But he still can shoot so maybe he’ll bust out and have a big game for us down the stretch. 

He lost 12 pounds in about a couple of weeks. So that pretty much confirms it then

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

He had a year and a half layoff that wasn't anybody's fault but his own. Failure to keep in game shape over that time is nobody's fault but his own. Being a part of dragging AU into an NCAA scandal is nobody's fault but his own. I'll remember his name two years from now, count on it.

Just pretend Gus recruited him.....you'll be alright. But in 2016 when he's holding this program head above water when we was trash of course that forgotten. 

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well that's an opinion you've come up with but look at the other stuff you said that you was wrong about. Everybody on here was talking about him gaining weight and didn't even know why and ran with it. You blame big men for our defensive woes but you defend the guards when it's more of them than anybody. So you're going to make it be about him no matter what

I haven't defended any of our players regarding defense....guards or others....none of them are playing good defense.  And the big guys are doing very little and DP is doing almost nothing. Watch the games.....opponents drive the lane and he just steps aside.....and doesn't even fight for the rebound.   You can support him or defend him or whatever.....but he's making a meager contribution this year for whatever reason you would like to offer.  BP must know this because he's given DJ about the minimum possible playing time despite being shorthanded. 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

And I realize, I thought I was posting in the game thread

Speaking on the game: I dont think he made too much of an impact one way or the other, but I wish he'd set those screens harder and keep cutting off them instead of fading back to the 3 point line. I dont know what the plays are, and hes certainly not the only poor screen setter on this team, but hey 

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

But in 2016 when he's holding this program head above water when we was trash of course that forgotten. 

Held the team together? Trash?  The team finished 18-14 in the 2016/17 season, the only season in which Purifoy made a significant contribution.. Purifoy was a starter in 25 games that season. He was second in scoring and third in rebounding. He helped, but if anybody was "holding this program head above water " it was Heron and Harper. They were true freshmen that season while Purifoy was a redshirt freshman, yet any MVP listing would have had Heron and Harper in 1st or 2nd, in some order. With Purifoy, McLemore and T.J. Dunans lumped behind them.

I don't think he's disinterested or anything. I think he looks just completely devoid of confidence though. Everything is so slow with him when he's involved. It's almost like he's just terrified that he'll mess up. Even yesterday, he had a chance for a pretty wide open layup or dunk and he dished it out to Samir to shoot a three. You can call that being unselfish, but I sense it's more uncertaintly in his ability and fear of criticism. His mega hype and need for attention on social media and his weird ups and downs during games reminds me of Jeremy Johnson

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Held the team together? Trash?  The team finished 18-14 in the 2016/17 season, the only season in which Purifoy made a significant contribution.. Purifoy was a starter in 25 games that season. He was second in scoring and third in rebounding. He helped, but if anybody was "holding this program head above water " it was Heron and Harper. They were true freshmen that season while Purifoy was a redshirt freshman, yet any MVP listing would have had Heron and Harper in 1st or 2nd, in some order. With Purifoy, McLemore and T.J. Dunans lumped behind them.

Funny you could mess up the first sentence of a post then be an a$$....but yeah you see that what you are saying is dumb and tried to back off a little. Yes he was one of the key people that held on to the program and kept it's head above water, I'm on record of saying Herron was the leader of this team so I don't know what you are trying to argue about. You should just sit back and shut the hell up and learn some stuff. Talk about things you actually know. And it's not linebackers, you have everybody fooled but not me, you don't know anything about being a linebacker, what you know is how many is going out and how many are coming in. That's it. You should ask stat tiger if he needs an understudy so that would keep you busy

I was hopeful that would be the case by now but now that don’t think he’ll be more than what he’s shown.  I doubt he gives us a double digit game at this point.  He’d have to shoot 4 times and show some killer instinct and I’ve not seen that but in a couple of moments, total, since UAB.

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I still feel like there is going to be a breakout game for Purifoy where he comes off the bench and scores 14-18 points.

I'm with you. It's coming. Shoot, if he gives us 9-12 one game I will consider that him breaking out and flashing what he can be next season.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:56 AM, Tiger said:

I'm with you. It's coming. Shoot, if he gives us 9-12 one game I will consider that him breaking out and flashing what he can be next season.

Not expecting  him to return next season FWIW. He has a child and a girlfriend that lives out of state and things are trending for him to look for & possibly need a new and fresh start at another school. He is graduating soon from Auburn for those wondering.

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

That’s great to hear he got his degree! 

He doesn’t have it yet. He’s on pace to get it soon.

8 minutes and no points last night.....hate to say it but I think his career is pretty much over.....just acting as a placeholder while starters take a breather. 

He seems to have the skills but needs a different environment.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:27 AM, cole256 said:

It's a shame they told him to gain weight and play an entire different position because the team lacks bodies. I'm all for sacrificing some but this is ridiculous. Couldn't be me, the school the fan base I don't care whoever could kiss my butt. You see how he's talked about now? Nobody cares or appreciates it and 2 years from now nobody will even care to remember his name for real. You can go and represent a school and have pride but fact is you better always do what's best for YOU because nobody cares about you really in the long run, they care what you may be able to do for them

Do you really think CBP told him to go get fat and slow?  I can't imagine any coach promoting that.  I would think anyone told to gain weight would believe it meant muscle weight. Suppose he misunderstood?

Hit the weight room and get ready for next season.

8 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Do you really think CBP told him to go get fat and slow?  I can't imagine any coach promoting that.  I would think anyone told to gain weight would believe it meant muscle weight. Suppose he misunderstood?

Hit the weight room and get ready for next season.

I'm sure he didn't, but let's not insult a kid on the team. Evaluate his play and conditioning, sure, but insults aren't needed. If he were asked to gain weight, I'm sure it would have been similar to the weight that Okeke and Harper have both added over the years, let's leave it at that. 

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not expecting  him to return next season FWIW. He has a child and a girlfriend that lives out of state and things are trending for him to look for & possibly need a new and fresh start at another school. He is graduating soon from Auburn for those wondering.

what's scary is it is quite possible we could lose every scholarship player except McLemore, Doughty and McCormick. that's 70% that have to be replaced w/ a transfer and Freshmen for 2019-2020). Unbelievable!! 

Gone: Spencer, Brown, Dunbar (seniors)

Possibly gone(NBA, European league): Wiley, Okeke, Harper

Transfer: Purifoy

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

we could lose every scholarship player except McLemore, Doughty and McCormick

Very slim chance. I fully expect Danjel to leave. After that Chuma is the only one I'm concerned about. Others will test draft water but all are expected to return. You also forgot Jamal Johnson on the scholarship docket.

If Harper leaves we are in deeeeeep trouble for next year.

He's also a 4 year college player if I've ever seen one. He'd be making a big mistake leaving IMO. He's going to need to develop a more consistent floater/pull-up mid-range J at his size no matter which professional league he goes to. He'd do himself a big favor by developing that as a lead dog on a young team next season

Just now, Tiger said:

Depends how well Tyrell Jones can come in & go as well as Jamal Johnson. Plus 5* PG Sharife Cooper may reclassify to the current class.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Depends how well Tyrell Jones can come in & go as well as Jamal Johnson. Plus 5* PG Sharife Cooper may reclassify to the current class.

I'm personally not a fan of starting a true freshman at the PG spot. Not in a deep league like the SEC is becoming at least. Even if we got Cooper to come in this off-season 2 freshman PGs + J'Von doesn't make me feel great about our most important position on the floor.

Edit: I should say I'm not a fan of being forced to start a freshman PG. I am confident that Jones can be a player for us. I see he's listed more of a combo guard and Cooper is more of a traditional PG that sees the floor well. This would be a nice combo as sophomores to take the reigns, we'd be undersized in the backcourt again but Cooper's ceiling is apparently legitimately NBA caliber.

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He's also a 4 year college player if I've ever seen one. He'd be making a big mistake leaving IMO. He's going to need to develop a more consistent floater/pull-up mid-range J at his size no matter which professional league he goes to. He'd do himself a big favor by developing that as a lead dog on a young team next season

Hard to imagine Harper leaving.....a good college PG but the country is full of quick guys like him...and bigger too.   Seems to me that BP has developed some pretty good depth at the PG slot and maybe another shooting guard will show up.  

Still hoping a couple of big inside guys show up from nowhere to fill the lane. ..I mean, how does UCF end up with three guys at 6'-11 and one at 7'-6 ?   

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I see he's listed more of a combo guard and Cooper is more of a traditional PG that sees the floor well.

Regardless of listing the staff sees Tyrell as a PG not a CG.

Archived